Topic: Digiface USB AC3: USB to optical out

Struggling with the interface. I can route a encoded multichannel signal through digiface optical ins and outs. To get the signal from USB to optical out seems imposible. Im using VLC player. Anyone with experience with this?

ADI-2 DAC, ADI-2 PRO, DigifaceUSB, UCXII, ARC, HEGEL.h80, KEF.ls50, HD650, ie400pro _,.\''/.,_

Re: Digiface USB AC3: USB to optical out

Hello!

Can you describe your setup, a bit more?
Are you trying to send ac3 encoded signal to a decoder? or are you using VLC for decoding?

You can, also, have at look at Chapter 8.2, page 16 of the manual:  https://www.rme-audio.de/downloads/dface_usb_e.pdf

RME Gear: Digiface USB, HDSP 9632

MetalHeadKeys wrote:

Hello!

Can you describe your setup, a bit more?
Are you trying to send ac3 encoded signal to a decoder? or are you using VLC for decoding?

You can, also, have at look at Chapter 8.2, page 16 of the manual:  https://www.rme-audio.de/downloads/dface_usb_e.pdf

I want to get the AC3 signal undecoded from VLC trough USB out to digiface optical out to be decoded by a reciever.

AC3 optical passtrough and multichannel from vlc to totalmixFX is no prob. What I need is the raw AC3 output from digiface optical out. Is this even possible? I have an old reciever sans hdmi and a laptop without s/pdif so I was hoping to make this real.

ADI-2 DAC, ADI-2 PRO, DigifaceUSB, UCXII, ARC, HEGEL.h80, KEF.ls50, HD650, ie400pro _,.\''/.,_

4 (edited by MetalHeadKeys 2021-07-31 01:53:23)

Aah! Ok, got it!

Happy_amateur wrote:

What I need is the raw AC3 output from digiface optical out. Is this even possible?

Yes, I think it is!
I haven 't tried this, but I don 't see a reason why it can't be done, since it 's mentioned in the manual, as well !

So, firstly, set Sample Rate to 48KHz at the DF Usb Settings
then set the ADAT Out Port you 're using for the reciever to "SPDIF".

Now you have to route the signal from VLC to that ADAT Out port, using TotalMixFX.
Select the ADAT Outputs(1/2 or 9/10 or 17/18 or 25/26, depends on which ADAT Out port you 're using)
  in the Hardware Outputs(third row), by clicking on them
With that Output selected, raise the Software Playback channels(second row) where the VLC Output corresponds to, to 0dB.

I don 't know if a setting in VLC is, also, required, but this should do it!

EDIT: I found this for VLC:

open the video file with the VLC player, and press Ctlrl+P
Under the Audio tab, change the output module to "Windows Multimedia Device output"
and set HDMI/SPDIF audio passthrough to "Enabled"(AC3/DTS only)

Click save and close VLC then open the video file again with VLC (basically just restart VLC),

RME Gear: Digiface USB, HDSP 9632

Ive tried all those with VLC and PowerDVD. Like I said multichannel and optical in/out works fine, but the example in the manual p.16/8.2 DVD-Playback (AC-3/DTS) seems hopeless.

The software doesnt recognize the Digiface as an optical out for AC3/DTS like the manual says. sad

Any other signal works fine. Tried a million settings here, guess stereo will have to do for now if someone doesnt come up with a fix.

Did you set the DF USB to be the default playback device, and then within the properties of that one (Sound control panel) set the format to 48 kHz 16 bit, speaker to stereo, and digital format or similar? These settings might all need to match for VLC to accept that SPDIF output.

Regards
Matthias Carstens
RME

Having a week vacation now. When I get back im going to try this anew. Im glad to hear that it is actually possible to use the Digiface the way I thought.
I have a multiple ASIO setup with Digiface and ADI2 DAC fs. The manual says the ADI mutes the ac3 signal. Dont know if its in the driver or at hardware level. Ive tried different setups with the two, but at the time the DAC was not plugged through USB, only optical from Digiface.
Anyway, I do think I set it up the way ur suggesting. I banged my head to this four hours straight. big_smile I will try it again step by step.

Thanks for the response!