1 (edited by spiritlevel 2021-07-31 16:54:31)

Topic: Getting a Digiface- can I use current interface (ID22) for monitoring?

I am about to get a Digiface. I currently have an Audient ID22. I also have a Behringer ADA8200 (used for Hardware synths).

One of my concerns about replacing the ID22 is a possible drop in quality if i monitor out through the ADA8200. Is that a valid concern do you think? I also lose the 2 very good mic pres on the Audient plus some portability.

I was planning on getting an ARC for monitor control with the Digiface but I just had a thought... I could perhaps keep the ID22 and use it as the device for Mac system audio, and then use the Digiface as the interface in my DAW - I could the route the main mix out of the Digiface to the ID22 ADAT in for monitoring (and route the ID22 Mic pres out to the Digiface when I want to use those). And if I need portability I can just take the ID 22 while leaving the Digiface and ADA8200 in the studio.

Any problem doing things that way do you think? Is it a good idea? or should I just sell the ID22 and replace with an ARC? I'd get around £150 maybe 2nd hand for the ID22 and an ARC costs about £110 so there's not a lot in it cost wise.

Re: Getting a Digiface- can I use current interface (ID22) for monitoring?

The ID22 user manual doesn't say anything about standalone or stand alone, so i guess it will not work as adat converter.
What is this ARC ? Do you mean the advanced Remote Control ?

M1-Sequoia, Madiface Pro, Digiface USB, Babyface silver and blue

ARC is the old advanced remote control, which is not available anymore (since years), I think he refers to the "ARC USB".

BR Ramses - UFX III, 12Mic, XTC, ADI-2 Pro FS R BE, RayDAT, X10SRi-F, E5-1680v4, Win10Pro22H2, Cub13

4 (edited by spiritlevel 2021-08-01 02:18:49)

waedi wrote:

The ID22 user manual doesn't say anything about standalone or stand alone, so i guess it will not work as adat converter.

It wouldn't be acting as standalone - it would be the mac system audio device connected by USB

ramses wrote:

I think he refers to the "ARC USB".

Yes exactly.

5 (edited by waedi 2021-08-01 03:03:55)

Then you have two computers that you want to use at the same time ?
The two interfaces Audient ID22 and Digiface will not work on the same computer at the same time.
One would be a standalone device.
With two computers both interfaces working, you can connect those via adat and have sound from one to the other.
The clock settings have to be set correct.

M1-Sequoia, Madiface Pro, Digiface USB, Babyface silver and blue

6 (edited by ramses 2021-08-01 09:58:53)

It would be possible by aggregate device but is not recommended, same with ASIO4ALL under windows. It's better ("best practice approach") to stick with the ASIO driver that comes with the recording interface for optimum performance, reliability and least latency.

A 2nd interface does not need to be in stand-alone operation mode. You can do it if you have a fix routing.

But as soon as you need to change the gain for mic or instr inputs and if the interface has no encoder for that on the unit, then you need to keep it operational by connecting it through USB or FW.

I would - if possible - sell the audient and Behdinger and get a RME recording interface that has already all the ports that you need. Then you have everything at the same quality. What about the UCX II or UFX II ?

Otherwise take one of the RME recording interfaces, that you like and connect ADA8200 through ADAT.

I wouldn't keep the Audient as main interface because the RME solution has so many more to offer compared to the audient.

My Excel comparison might be of help for you, when comparing the different RME interfaces:
https://www.tonstudio-forum.de/blog/ind … B-MADIfac/
Direct link to Excel: https://www.tonstudio-forum.de/index.ph … -04b-xlsx/

BR Ramses - UFX III, 12Mic, XTC, ADI-2 Pro FS R BE, RayDAT, X10SRi-F, E5-1680v4, Win10Pro22H2, Cub13

7 (edited by spiritlevel 2021-08-01 14:36:11)

waedi wrote:

Then you have two computers that you want to use at the same time ?

No - one computer.

waedi wrote:

The two interfaces Audient ID22 and Digiface will not work on the same computer at the same time.

Yes, they will (and I don't mean as an aggregate device). You can use multiple USB interfaces on the same computer at the same time (on Mac at least) with some limitations. A particular application can only address a single device as its output/input (unless you aggregate). There is no problem using different interfaces for different applications at the same time. Some applications let you choose just a single audio device for both output and input, and others like most DAWs let you choose one device for output and a different device for input.

In the scenario I am describing, my DAW would be using the RME Digiface (as both output and input device) and the Mac System would be using the Audient - therefore both can used as USB interfaces at the same time (no stand alone). I would send the main output from the Digiface into the Audient via ADAT and my main monitors would be connected to the Audient.

I happened to have a cheap Behringer UCA202 USB interface lying around so I just did a test of this principle and it worked. I had the Audient as the in/out device in my DAW and the UCA202 as the mac system device. I cabled the main mix out from the Audient into the UCA202 and monitored via that (on headphones). Both interface connected by USB and working as normal.

ramses wrote:

It would be possible by aggregate device but is not recommended, same with ASIO4ALL under windows. It's better ("best practice approach") to stick with the ASIO driver that comes with the recording interface for optimum performance, reliability and least latency.

As above, the scenario I am describing here does not require an aggregate device. My DAW would be using the Digiface only, and the Mac system would be using the Audient only. (I agree aggregate devices are not great and this is exactly why I am buying a Digiface. For routing multi-channel audio between applications I currently need to make an aggregate device of my Audient and software like Sound flower - its not great and the Digiface's loopback functionality will be a much better solution for this I think.

ramses wrote:

As soon as you need to change the gain for mic or instr inputs and if the interface has no encoder for that on the unit, then you need to keep it operational by connecting it through USB or FW.

The Audient has gain knobs for the mic inputs but as it will remain connected by USB (as the mac system device) I will still retain full access to the ID software that comes with it (ID for Audient is a bit like TotalMix for RME) - so I will be able to route the Audient's Mic inputs to its ADAT out and into the ADAT in on the Digiface. In fact when I want to use the Audient Mic inputs, I could just change the input device in my DAW to the Audient while keeping the Digiface as the output device, thus freeing up an ADAt in on the Digiface.

ramses wrote:

I would - if possible - sell the audient and Behdinger and get a RME recording interface that has already all the ports that you need. Then you have everything at the same quality. What about the UCX II or UFX II ? Otherwise take one of the RME recording interfaces, that you like and connect ADA8200 through ADAT.

The Digiface seems to meet my needs for both functionality and price really well. The ADA8200 is perfectly fine for use as line inputs from my synths. And if I keep the Audient for monitoring then I will also have a couple of high quality Mic Pres that I can use for Microphones.

ramses wrote:

I wouldn't keep the Audient as main interface because the RME solution has so many more to offer compared to the audient.

I agree - The Digiface will be much better as the main interface used my my DAW - the Audient can still have use though as my system monitoring interface (and for those 2 high quality Mic Pres).

8 (edited by vinark 2021-08-01 15:28:40)

It is much simpler. Just connect both to the computer and the id22 through adats to digiface and use the iid22 ins and outs via digiface both for daw and or system. It needs to be set up correctly but that is all.
Once you have the digiface it will be pretty clear and simple.

Vincent, Amsterdam
https://soundcloud.com/thesecretworld
BFpro fs, 2X HDSP9652 ADI-8AE, 2X HDSP9632

9 (edited by spiritlevel 2021-08-01 17:53:08)

vinark wrote:

It is much simpler. Just connect both to the computer and the id22 through adats to digiface and use the iid22 ins and outs via digiface both for daw and or system. It needs to be set up correctly but that is all.
Once you have the digiface it will be pretty clear and simple.

You're right - as long as the Audient is connected by USB and its ID software can be used for routing, there's no reason I couldn't use the Digiface for the system too!