Topic: Output levels

Hi, just a quick question..

I have totalmix setup to output to two sets of monitors. The main output goes to my Yamaha HS8's and speaker B output goes to my Focal Alpha Evo 65's. The HS8's are set to output at +4dBu but I set the output of speaker B to -10dBV because the evos don't have a hardware volume control.

This has been working fine but I just saw a forum post explaining that +4dBu is commonly used for pro equipment while 10dBV is usually for consumer level gear.

Is this right? And if so, is there any reason I should change the speaker B output to +4dBu?
Obviously, using a software mixer, I want to do everything I can to avoid accidentally blowing my ears or the speakers!

Thanks very much!

Re: Output levels

E2A - I'm using the fireface ufx+ so only have one set of xlr outputs. So the HS8's are xlr - xlr and the evos are balanced trs - xlr.
Not sure if that would make any difference!! ^_^

If you want more security, you'd better get a monitor controller or attenuators so that doesn't happen:

https://forum.rme-audio.de/viewtopic.ph … 22#p172322

You can also use an ADI-2 Pro FS R BE as a monitor controller, because the converter has a gain pot, that doesn't just set itself to 0dB and with the device you still have some useful additional features.

You can also first try out whether you find a setting with the existing devices, which is still bearable at 0dB.

So first adjust the HW output AN 1/2 down to about -40dB, so that it is in a safe range. It's best to save this setting on all 8 snapshots, so that you don't accidentally select another one and it suddenly becomes unpleasantly loud.

About the settings: so use the lowest output level at the output AN1/2 and choose the least sensitive setting at the input of the active monitors. You will hear it when it gets louder or quieter ....

And when both are in the "quietest position", try to move the fader of HW Output AN 1/2 slowly towards 0dB.

If it is still too loud, which I fear, then you have to work with 20 or 30dB attenuators or loop in a monitor controller or (best of all) invest in an ADI-2 Pro.

I would use a music player to get some music for volume test.

This is e.g. a nice attenuator, which you can set to -10, -20, -30 dB: https://www.thomann.de/de/jts_ma_123.htm

I also recommend the use of a SPL Measuring Device, this one is a nice one, which is not too expensive.
https://www.thomann.de/de/digital_sound … _meter.htm

This way you can control, whether the volume stays is acceptable range for you.

There are several articles in the internet what a good volume is for mixing and mastering music.

BR Ramses - UFX III, 12Mic, XTC, ADI-2 Pro FS R BE, RayDAT, X10SRi-F, E5-1680v4, Win10Pro22H2, Cub13

That’s good advice but I’d tweak it to say the output should be 0dB and the monitors should be reduced instead. No point in reducing your software faders to -40dB when, as you pointed out, it can be easily reset.

The above problem has to do with monitoring which I’ve solved in my setup. The problem I’m trying to avoid is accidental burst of loudness within a certain volume setting. Just a few weeks back I experienced this and it was completely upsetting. A post fader compressor is the only solution I can think of for this.

sambasevam wrote:

That’s good advice but I’d tweak it to say the output should be 0dB and the monitors should be reduced instead. No point in reducing your software faders to -40dB when, as you pointed out, it can be easily reset.

The above problem has to do with monitoring which I’ve solved in my setup. The problem I’m trying to avoid is accidental burst of loudness within a certain volume setting. Just a few weeks back I experienced this and it was completely upsetting. A post fader compressor is the only solution I can think of for this.

The -40 dB is only meant as a safer starting point not the final setting, please read this information in the whole context.

BR Ramses - UFX III, 12Mic, XTC, ADI-2 Pro FS R BE, RayDAT, X10SRi-F, E5-1680v4, Win10Pro22H2, Cub13