1 (edited by d.panagiotidis 2021-08-03 10:04:31)

Topic: BBF and ucx combined

I always wanted more inputs for my BBF proFS. Now that the new ucx ii is out, the ucx is more affordable.
So with the two of them linked with adat, which one of the two would you say would be the master and which one the slave?
I mean from which one would you run totalmix to control both of them?

Dimitris
Ryzen5 3600XT, Nvidia 1650, Win 10, Cubase 11 pro, BBF ProFS, Rode NT1a, CC121, ADA8200

Re: BBF and ucx combined

It's obvious, the one with the most I/O will be master. Because you can only transmit 8 selected channels via ADAT.

BR Ramses - UFX III, 12Mic, XTC, ADI-2 Pro FS R BE, RayDAT, X10SRi-F, E5-1680v4, Win10Pro22H2, Cub13

You can not control both with Totalmix directly, each will have its own, and you don't "run Totalmix from" one of them. There will be two separate TM windows, and you will just see the ADAT inputs from the other device, but there are no controls as such.
Master/slave as in clock setup is a separate matter, not dependent on channel numbers or so. Otherwise, there is no such relation, really.

Regards
Daniel Fuchs
RME

Soundwise wouldn't you say that it would be preferable to use the BBF outputs since it is a newer design and FS equipped? (and route all other inputs of the ucx through it?

Dimitris
Ryzen5 3600XT, Nvidia 1650, Win 10, Cubase 11 pro, BBF ProFS, Rode NT1a, CC121, ADA8200