1 (edited by KillerQ 2020-11-21 21:53:00)

Topic: I just got a Rupert Neve RNHP amp - best settings on RME ADI-2 fs?

Hey, All,

I just picked up this beautiful Rupert Neve RNHP Amp to compliment my RME ADI-2 fs. Here are the specs:

https://rupertneve.com/products/rnhp-he … amplifier/

What RME settings would be best when using the RNHP as the main amp (I’ll be mostly using Anandas, Aeon 2 closed, and E-MU Teaks as my headphones) ? I know different people have different opinions, but I think I should put it on the fixed output mode and keep the RNHP amp volume up all the way - that way I use the RME as the volume control. Right ?

I’d prefer to use the RME volume, so would I leave the new amp turned up all the way and leave AUTO REF LEVEL turned on with the RME? What about REF level +db settings?

Then I’ll remember these steps to keep in mind for future amps.

Thanks for helping me learn.

Re: I just got a Rupert Neve RNHP amp - best settings on RME ADI-2 fs?

You have an ADI-2 DAC FS, right? In that case you just wasted your money. The DAC's internal headphone amp has less distortion, less noise and much more power than the RNHP. Plus using an external headphone amp disables all the nice protection mechanisms that the ADI-2 DAC includes.

Regards
Matthias Carstens
RME

3 (edited by KillerQ 2020-11-22 04:40:58)

MC wrote:

You have an ADI-2 DAC FS, right? In that case you just wasted your money. The DAC's internal headphone amp has less distortion, less noise and much more power than the RNHP. Plus using an external headphone amp disables all the nice protection mechanisms that the ADI-2 DAC includes.

I appreciate your feedback.

But, what would be way to have it connected to my RME, though?

Also, What would the next step up be for an amplifier that would pair well as an external amp for the RME ADI-2 fs?

4 (edited by ramses 2020-11-22 08:55:11)

1st of all, could you kindly confirm what RME product you bought ?

ADI-2 FS ?
https://archiv.rme-audio.de/images/products/products_adi-2_fs_1.jpg
or
ADI-2 DAC FS ?
https://archiv.rme-audio.de/images/products/products_adi-2_dac_1.jpg

In both cases use smth like a "Mic Cable" with XLR plugs on both sides for a balanced connection.

I read the Rupert Neves information this way, that its "calibrated for" +4 dBu, but it also tell that the maximum input level is +22.8 dBu.

So on the outputs of the RME product I would propose a static setting of +4 dBu reference level. And the ADI-2 DAC FS I would set to +7 dBu. I do not think that it makes a big difference to turn down the volume by -3 to exactly match the +4 dBu.

https://rupert-neve-www.imgix.net/static/media/2016/04/RNHP-back-description.jpg?auto=format&fit=max&q=70&w=1125&dpr=undefined&ixlib=js-1.2.1&s=15993842e5c5fce48c8a5065b806568d

BR Ramses - UFX III, 12Mic, XTC, ADI-2 Pro FS R BE, RayDAT, X10SRi-F, E5-1680v4, Win10Pro22H2, Cub13

ramses wrote:

ADI-2 FS ?
or
ADI-2 DAC FS ?

In both cases use smth like a "Mic Cable" with XLR plugs on both sides for a balanced connection.

I read the Rupert Neves information this way, that its "calibrated for" +4 dBu, but it also tell that the maximum input level is +22.8 dBu.

So on the outputs of the RME product I would propose a static setting of +4 dBu reference level. And the ADI-2 DAC FS I would set to +7 dBu. I do not think that it makes a big difference to turn down the volume by -3 to exactly match the +4 dBu.

https://rupert-neve-www.imgix.net/static/media/2016/04/RNHP-back-description.jpg?auto=format&fit=max&q=70&w=1125&dpr=undefined&ixlib=js-1.2.1&s=15993842e5c5fce48c8a5065b806568d

Thank you. I have the RME ADI-2 fs.

6 (edited by KillerQ 2020-11-22 18:04:34)

Also, when told that the RME likes to use auto ref level and then leave the external amp on max volume, someone in another forum says this:

“That is not the same as fixed output.

Anyway, amps are designed to be driven fully- that is, the input should be at full output (0 dB) or close to it. That's where they perform best. If you control volume at the source, your amp has very little signal to work with and you're hearing the worst your amp can deliver.

You risk blowing your brains out or destroying equipment if you run amps on max. There is really no good reason to do that. It may seem convenient, but it's wrong in every objective way.

I agree and will add that I have the gain trimmed 50% on my class D amp that feeds LS50's. At Odb the volume (on the ADI2 DAC) is at the highest volume I would give these speakers (and yes the amp is way over powered for the speakers).

my suggestion to is turn Auto Ref on, Set the DAC volume to Odb and with the RNHP volume encoder at its lowest setting listen and gradually raise the volume on the RNHP till you think it is just too loud and leave it there ( mark its position). then in the future, use the volume encoder on the ADI2 DAC and leave the RNHP encoder alone”

So what do the RME people here say is the best advice to follow ?

Thoughts?

Thanks in advance!

ramses wrote:

ADI-2 FS ?
or
ADI-2 DAC FS ?

7 (edited by ramses 2020-11-22 18:47:02)

ADI-2 FS does not have auto ref level, this is a unique feature of ADI-2 Pro / DAC devices.
ADI-2 FS and ADI-2 DAC FS are different products.

BR Ramses - UFX III, 12Mic, XTC, ADI-2 Pro FS R BE, RayDAT, X10SRi-F, E5-1680v4, Win10Pro22H2, Cub13

ramses wrote:

ADI-2 FS does not have auto ref level, this is a unique feature of ADI-2 Pro / DAC devices.
ADI-2 FS and ADI-2 DAC FS are different products, as you can see already from the pictures, that I linked above.

Oh, yes. I’m sorry. I was confused. I have the DAC version. Here https://imgur.com/a/OqYMhzL

Ok, then pls re-read post #2 and #4.

ramses wrote:

Ok, then pls re-read post #2 and #4.

Thanks.

Do you have the RME ADI-2 fs DAC as well? If so, what external amp do you like to use with your Planar Magnetic headphones?

I have the ADI-2 Pro FS R BE and use it with the LCD-3.

ramses wrote:

Very nice!!

ramses wrote:

Is this the same as you recommended? https://imgur.com/a/SxRot7u

14 (edited by KaiS 2021-12-30 15:26:21)

Two different approaches to use ADI-2 with external amps, how to set them up:

CASE 1, analog volume control:

To maximize ADI-2's dynamic range (S/N ratio) it's best to have ADI-2’s volume control at 0 dB, using the external ANALOG AMP’s volume control to set listening level:

• Set external amp's volume control to middle position or some above.
• Switch OFF ADI-2's "Auto Reference Level".
• Set ADI-2's volume control to 0 dB.
• Select the reference level that fits best to your loudness demands.
• Use the ext. amp's volume dial to control the final loudness.

• Once you start to use any of ADI-2's DSP functions like e.g. the EQ:
- Compensate possible level boosts with ADI-2's volume control until the Level Meter does not show overs.
- Or switch back On “Auto Reference Level" and let ADI-2 calculate the best value.

CASE 2, digital volume control:

If you want to use ADI-2's digital volume control to set listening level, ADI-2 DAC / (Pro) has a clever option that increases the usable dynamic range by 18 / (20) dB: "Auto Reference Level":

• Switch ON ADI-2's "Auto Reference Level".
• Set ADI-2 DAC's (Pro's) volume control to -18 / (-20) dBr(1)
• Set ext. amp's volume control (or passive attenuators) slightly above your normal listening level.
• Use ADI-2's volume control to set the final listening level.

Now ADI-2 automatically adapts the reference level for best fit to your loudness demands, while maximizing it's DAC's dynamic range.

If your external amp does not have a volume control, use variable passive attenuators to fit the level:
https://forum.rme-audio.de/viewtopic.ph … 42#p120442

SIDEMARK:
(1)
The volume figures change from dB to dBr when Auto Reference Level is “ON”.
The dBr relates to the highest Reference Level then.
There is some control range and digital headroom above, that is reserved for intersample peaks or weak digital signals.

With “Auto Reference Level “OFF” the dB-figures (without r) relate to the manually choosen reference level.

KaiS wrote:

Two different approaches to use ADI-2 with external amps, how to set them up:

To maximize ADI-2's dynamic range (S/N ratio) it's best to have its volume control set to 0 dB, using the external amp's volume control.
• Set external amp's volume control to middle position or some above.
• Switch OFF ADI-2's "Auto Reference Level".
• Set ADI-2's volume control to 0 dB.
• Select the reference level that fits best to your loudness demands.
• Use the ext. amp's volume dial to control the final loudness.

• Once you start to use any of ADI-2's DSP functions like e.g. the EQ, compensate possible level boosts with ADI-2's volume control until the Level Meter does not show overs.

If you want to use ADI-2's digital volume control, ADI-2 DAC / (Pro) has a clever option that increases the usable dynamic range by 18 / (20) dB: "Auto Reference Level":

• Switch ON ADI-2's "Auto Reference Level".
• Set ADI-2 DAC's (Pro's) volume control to -18 / (-20) dBr.
• Set ext. amp's volume control slightly above your normal listening level.
• Use ADI-2's volume control to set the final listening level.

Now ADI-2 automatically selects the reference level that fits best to your loudness demands, while maximizing it's DAC's dynamic range.

Thank you VERY much for this. It’s funny how many people don’t understand just how versatile the RME ADI-2 DAC fs can be !

You're welcome!

This type of question arises here very frequently.
The above intends to condense the necessary information into a universal answer.

Very useful KaiS; thanks very much!
Does one have any advantages over the other?

18 (edited by KaiS 2021-04-10 14:04:02)

Bonky wrote:

Does one have any advantages over the other?

The decision depends on the other equipment you want to connect, e.g. a CD Player, Turntable etc., via a Preamp maybe.

Soundwise there is no audible difference out of ADI-2, both versions are far better than what’s needed.

In theory Case 1 has the slightly higher dynamic range, and Case 2 the cleaner signal path.

Practically the power amp is the bottleneck, almost no power amp in existence has a dynamic range of 120+ dB, which in fact is, again, not needed anyway
The typical “audiophile” tube amp has just 70 dB or less S/N Ratio!

Finally it boils down to what’s more convenient.

Thanks KaiS; understood.

20 (edited by Thom1 2021-08-04 23:38:05)

Hey!

I found this thread and I wanted to ask for something related to this. I bough a Rupert Neve RNHP amp last year and I am fairly happy with it. I was wondering if there is any DAC (preferrably same price or cheaper than the amp) that will make a great combo with this amp? My headset is a Sennheiser HD 660S. Is there any dac worth buying in that price range that would improve this setup to a point where its worth the money? Thanks.

21 (edited by KaiS 2022-03-14 13:59:22)

Thom1 wrote:

Hey!

I found this thread and I wanted to ask for something related to this. I bough a Rupert Neve RNHP amp last year and I am fairly happy with it. I was wondering if there is any DAC (preferrably same price or cheaper than the amp) that will make a great combo with this amp? My headset is a Sennheiser HD 660S. Is there any dac worth buying in that price range that would improve this setup to a point where its worth the money? Thanks.

Two options:

1. RME ADI-2 FS (the one without LCD display) as DA-converter.

2. Sell the Rupert Neve and buy the RME ADI-2 DAC.
For the same price as the above combination you get a superior quality, plus options like ADI-2 DAC’s equalizer (and more) to lift your HD 660S’s sound up one step.

I dont see the point of this. With the Neve or the ADI´s you go from one opamp output to the other!? If you want something special get a tube- or class A/AB transistor amp to complement. I see alot of people on different fora trying to "improve" the sound of the ADI series. They usually have some problem with the digital volume control.

When I first got the ADI 2 DAC Fs. I set volume to Hipower all the way. Now I use auto reference level all the time. Not a "techie" I will not try to comprehend the underlaying technology other than its derived from RME´s Totalmix 42bit, its NOT a MS-windows volume control. Moreover the progressive loudness control is a dream to use playing at between -35 to -50 with sensitive phones or IEM´s. At these settings the sound gets softer and warmer without loosing the "bang". Anyway, that´s my pref. anyone should be able to find their sweetspot with this ingenious device.

All the internet noise had me a bit scared when selecting my headphone amp, now I realize I need nothing else. Better to spend money on a new headphone set. Im saving up for a STAX

ADI-2 DAC, ADI-2 PRO, DigifaceUSB, UCXII, ARC, HEGEL.h80, KEF.ls50, HD650, ie400pro _,.\''/.,_

Happy_amateur wrote:

[...]
When I first got the ADI 2 DAC Fs. I set volume to Hipower all the way. Now I use auto reference level all the time. Not a "techie" I will not try to comprehend the underlaying technology other than its derived from RME´s Totalmix 42bit, its NOT a MS-windows volume control. Moreover the progressive loudness control is a dream to use playing at between -35 to -50 with sensitive phones or IEM´s. At these settings the sound gets softer and warmer without loosing the "bang". Anyway, that´s my pref. anyone should be able to find their sweetspot with this ingenious device.

All the internet noise had me a bit scared when selecting my headphone amp, now I realize I need nothing else. Better to spend money on a new headphone set. Im saving up for a STAX

I understood you now this way, that you want to keep the ADI-2 DAC.
But regarding the Stax a question.
As far as I know Stax headphones are all (?) electrostatic and need a special preamp of their own.
How would you integrate that into the ADI-2 DAC based solution?

24 (edited by Happy_amateur 2021-08-05 08:59:27)

Connect the ADI to the STAX energizer. Set energizer to some fixed volume setting and use the ADI for volume out. In theory, haven´t tried it yet. I have some experience with a similar connection to an integrated power amp, which works nice. Setup will be for best sound to answer ur question. You get energizer models with integrated DAC, tube output stage etc. I´m considering the entry level model. Around 800 euros(with phones). It has class A output. Really sweet sound.

No other way around it before RME ships with integrated EL energizer I guess. Point is I dont think u need to get alot of other haedphone amps to get good sound out of the ADI using only the dac section, while on alot of forum post Ive read there is some understanding/anxiety that the ADI need some other volume or output stage. I think this is a misconception. The DSP based solutions of the DAC fs has so many qualities.

An electrostatic headphone on the other hand would inevitably have to have a specialized preamp/energizer.

ADI-2 DAC, ADI-2 PRO, DigifaceUSB, UCXII, ARC, HEGEL.h80, KEF.ls50, HD650, ie400pro _,.\''/.,_

To the topic of this thread U can have fixed volume from the RME unit using the pot volume of the Neve unit or use the RME´s volume with the Neve as power amp. Best setting? use your ears.

26 (edited by ramses 2021-08-05 09:23:17)

Happy_amateur wrote:

Connect the ADI to the STAX energizer. Set energizer to some fixed volume setting and use the ADI for volume out. In theory, haven´t tried it yet. I have some experience with a similar connection to an integrated power amp, which works nice. Setup will be for best sound to answer ur question. You get energizer models with integrated DAC, tube output stage etc. I´m considering the entry level model. Around 800 euros(with phones). It has class A output. Really sweet sound.

No other way around it before RME ships with integrated EL energizer I guess. Point is I dont think u need to get alot of other haedphone amps to get good sound out of the ADI using only the dac section, while on alot of forum post Ive read there is some understanding/anxiety that the ADI need some other volume or output stage. I think this is a misconception. The DSP based solutions of the DAC fs has so many qualities.

An electrostatic headphone on the other hand would inevitably have to have a specialized preamp/energizer.

OK, my understanding was, that the amount of AD/DA conversions or "number of circuits" in the analog domain should be best minimized. But of course there are several ways and as the ADI-2 is working transparent, non-colorizing the sound, this should be possible.

Otherwise if there is a Stax with optical SPDIF input you could use the ADI-2 Pro, if I remember right features like dynamic loudness work also over the digital output. To be checked ... that was from memory. But maybe Stax doesn't offer digital inputs ... I don't know .. also to be checked ...

Simpler is always better I think, with analog or digital. Play mostly over USB from DAC fs or optical in from Digiface USB to DAC fs. From there I have XLR out to a Hegel integrated amp. I set the Hegel to vol 50 - 55 and use the ADI volume. Sometimes I lock the volume and use the Hegel volume control or faders in Totalmix, This mostly depends on if I play at typical lower or higher listening levels. Hegel for high levels/DAC fs for low levels. I would like a dedicated power amp and ditch the Hegel integrated altogether. Cash is always in demand u know big_smile ,and there is no final iteration for an audio setup big_smile

For headphones I mostly use auto ref levels. There is no absolute, the ears is the best tool for matching gear and its good to have some reference tracks to guide by.

In ADI pro I think u  have choice of either pre/or post fx for optical out. Havent downloaded the new driver for ADI2 DAC fs, but I have a suspicion I can use the loopback function to route the post fx signal back to Totalmix for optical out through Digiface. From there u could connect the STAX energizer/DAC. If its sonically justified from a price perspective im not so sure.

28 (edited by KaiS 2021-08-05 10:39:34)

Very few STAX amps have DA-conversion built in.
Non of the full size desktop ones, as far as I know, only a portable one (D-10) and the semi-portable D-50.

Happy_amateur is completely right.
In general the headphones model makes the difference, the amp contributes 5% to the sound, at best, even if it’s a tube one.
STAX headphones are a different league, TOTL at affordable price, they eat much more expensive headphones for breakfast.

EQ, like the one in ADI-2, is the key to give a setup the final touch.
Most headphones, and listeners, like a bit of bass boost.
This site gives a good starting point:
https://github.com/jaakkopasanen/AutoEq … er/results
Their settings are mostly based on 10 band EQ, but for my taste their setting above 2kHz don’t make too much practical sense (are your personal ears shaped the same way like their measurement set - no!).
So use their lower band settings only and usually 5 bands are sufficient.

The handling of the STAX anps is no different to a regular analog speaker or headphones amp, one can still use these approaches for level setting:
https://forum.rme-audio.de/viewtopic.ph … 21#p161721

BTW: A STAX SRM-1/MK2 Professional, used and good condition, is one of the best and most affordable E-stat amps available.

KaiS wrote:

This site gives a good starting point:
https://github.com/jaakkopasanen/AutoEq … er/results

WOW, very good reference information !

Pacifist, dumb, not stupid
Listen music out from a box which sounds
Reading words on paper/ screen

KaiS: Thnx for the tips and links. Gonna dive into this autoEQ stuff smile

31 (edited by Thom1 2021-08-05 10:50:27)

KaiS wrote:
Thom1 wrote:

Hey!

Two options:

For the same price as the above combination you get a superior quality, plus options like ADI-2 DAC’s equalizer (and more) to lift your HD 660S’s sound up one stage.

Thanks for the reply. After reading alot about it I realise that its better to wait until I can afford something more expensive. I was just wondering if there was any cheap solution to improve it but it seems like theres no point in buying the cheap ones. So for now Ill just stick to my amp and headset for now and buy some high quality some day in the future.

Thom1 wrote:
KaiS wrote:
Thom1 wrote:

Hey!

Two options:

For the same price as the above combination you get a superior quality, plus options like ADI-2 DAC’s equalizer (and more) to lift your HD 660S’s sound up one stage.

Thanks for the reply. After reading alot about it I realise that its better to wait until I can afford something more expensive. I was just wondering if there was any cheap solution to improve it but it seems like theres no point in buying the cheap ones. So for now Ill just stick to my amp and headset for now and buy some high quality some day in the future.

If you’re out for a cheap solution I do a heresy and suggest:
Qudelix 5K, the poor man’s, portable ADI-2.
I won’t say anything more, and @MC may delete this posting if he doesn‘t like it.

MC wrote:

Hi, I wrote something about this topic some time ago: https://forum.rme-audio.de/viewtopic.php?id=33509.
The HP amp is something that maybe can be reviewed on the next edition IMO, especially in the sub bass "focus".
(My opinion has already been discussed, not meant to denigrate the product (which I love BTW) or the brand (which I will never change). I think, therefore, that pairing the ADI2-pro with a dedicated high quality HP can be not a waste of money at the moment.

nb. I have yet to try the new firmware update (24-12-21 259/111) so maybe my opinion is related to the previous status.

RME's update/upgrade policy is amazing BTW! I was close to sending my ADI2 Pro to RMA to fix the rotary encoder, and they made this awesome filter <3

London Acoustics wrote:
MC wrote:

Hi, I wrote something about this topic some time ago: https://forum.rme-audio.de/viewtopic.php?id=33509.
The HP amp is something that maybe can be reviewed on the next edition IMO, especially in the sub bass "focus".
(My opinion has already been discussed, not meant to denigrate the product (which I love BTW) or the brand (which I will never change). I think, therefore, that pairing the ADI2-pro with a dedicated high quality HP can be not a waste of money at the moment.

nb. I have yet to try the new firmware update (24-12-21 259/111) so maybe my opinion is related to the previous status.

RME's update/upgrade policy is amazing BTW! I was close to sending my ADI2 Pro to RMA to fix the rotary encoder, and they made this awesome filter <3

I never once experienced the situation you describe, "subbass out of focus"!? All my RME gear could be summed up "tight, top to bottom" Ofcourse your remedy is another chinese box big_smile

This thread is older and I admit I haven't read all of it, but I use the Babyface pro FS for my MIDI orchestration setup, and I wanted a bit more volume in my 300-ohm Sennheiser HD650s, so I bought the RNHP, not realizing that the Babyface Pro "inherits now the same highest quality analog conversion and headphone preamp technology, like the industry-leading ADI-2 Pro FS.", a statement I got from the RME website. And, as mentioned in the earlier part of this thread, it was a waste of money. I get a slight volume increase only when the RNHP is literally on 10. It does sound a bit brighter with a warmer presence, but it's minimal, certainly not an improvement worth 600 bucks. The two things I didn't realize were 1) the Babyface Pro FS already has world-class specs on the headphone outputs, even on the second 3.5mm jack made for low impedance consumer cans, and 2) the HD650s themselves are a bit unforgiving in that they take a good amount of signal to get really loud, but the Babyface also provides that, arguably better than the RNHP. So I don't need to add a headphone amp because I don't usually mix on headphones, I use them when playing in parts usually with a click track running. A better-sounding click track won't be much advantage, lol... but the bigger point is that RME puts way better headphone circuitry in their stuff, compared to other manufacturers.