Topic: Using a Fireface 800 as an ADAT expander -any special set up required?

Hi there,

I have a possibility to purchase FF800 that I would intend to use as an expander in other to have more inputs and connect it to my audio interface.

The seller, whom I'm somewhat acquainted with, is saying that he's unable to test the unit to confirm that it functions. 

Thinking that he meant that he couldn't connect it to his computer because he doesn't have firewire, I suggested he connect it to his interface and simply test it out as an expander.

He mentioned that this would't be possible, as it would require some kind set-up of the FF800 and he has no way of accessing those internal controls.

I was under the assumption that, used as an expander, it would be pretty much plug and play, and that no special set-up is required. 

Am I incorrect in that assumption?

Thanks for your time.

Re: Using a Fireface 800 as an ADAT expander -any special set up required?

The device does not know what you want it to do. You will need to manually set up the desired routings (e.g. analog to ADAT) and then flash this mixer configuration for standalone operation. One of our tutorial videos describes this process, so does the manual.

Regards
Daniel Fuchs
RME

3 (edited by Vangroover 2021-08-06 00:25:14)

RME Support wrote:

The device does not know what you want it to do. You will need to manually set up the desired routings (e.g. analog to ADAT) and then flash this mixer configuration for standalone operation. One of our tutorial videos describes this process, so does the manual.

So, clearly, first thing for RME to do is develop mind-reading technology for all its units - and also make that backward-compatible, naturally.

Just kidding.

Thank you very much for your reply.  I really appreciate both the information and the time you took to share it.

Kind regards,

Stephane

I'm afraid mind-reading is only available with USB (the data transfer can be synced to your brainwaves), but not with Firewire. Sorry.... :-P

Regards
Daniel Fuchs
RME