Topic: Will this setup work? (M-32 AD > Digiface USB > Fireface 400)

Hi!

I'm looking for some advice before buying. I have been using a Fireface 400 for a while and would like to have more inputs for recording multiple instruments.

I have the option to buy a secondhand M-32 AD for a good price and was wondering if the following setup would work.

I would use the M-32 AD for the inputs and then use it's 4 ADAT outputs to go into the Digiface USB. That should work to get the audio into my daw. But then I would not be able to monitor my inputs from my monitors as there is no DA conversion, right? Except for the headphone out on the Digiface.

Can I route one of the Digiface ADAT outputs to the ADAT input of the Fireface 400 to monitor the audio coming in from the M-32 AD?

I'm using a Macbook Pro with 2 thunderbolt ports. The fireface works fine with the adapters and i would us a hub with 2 usb ports to connect the Digiface. Will this be sufficient power for the Digiface?

I'm new to this world of ADAT and still trying to wrap my head around it so I could be totally wrong and missing something, please go easy on me :-)

Thanks in advance,

Sinan

2 (edited by ramses 2021-08-11 11:51:12)

Re: Will this setup work? (M-32 AD > Digiface USB > Fireface 400)

Should be possible, but pls double check also on your own reading the manuals as I do not own these devices:

Digiface USB as clock master.
+----- ADAT1 IN -------------ADAT OUT1-+ M32-AD
+----- ADAT2 IN -------------ADAT OUT2-+ M32-AD
+----- ADAT3 IN -------------ADAT OUT3-+ M32-AD
+----- ADAT4 IN -------------ADAT OUT4-+ M32-AD
+----- ADAT2 OUT --------ADAT SYNC IN-+M32-AD (clock source = "ADAT", configurable at the front of the unit)
+----- ADAT1 OUT --------ADAT IN-+FF400 (in stand-alone mode, clock source = "ADAT", in driver settings)

You need a Firewire 400 connection to configure the FF400 in terms of routing and clock configuration.
Later you can store the config, disconnect it and run it in standalone mode.

You can control the output volume with the encode of the device according to manual of FF400,
but I would recommend to use a monitor controller, so that your output volume can be kept at a save level.

BR Ramses - UFX III, 12Mic, XTC, ADI-2 Pro FS R BE, RayDAT, X10SRi-F, E5-1680v4, Win10Pro22H2, Cub13

Thank you very much for the quick reply!

If you get this setup, you might try out what sounds better to your ears\brain, the FF outputs or the digiface headphones out. On paper exactly the same noise and thd

Vincent, Amsterdam
https://soundcloud.com/thesecretworld
BFpro fs, 2X HDSP9652 ADI-8AE, 2X HDSP9632

Yes I will definitely check that out.