Topic: Babyface pro fs not showing mic levels

Hi. I know that a similar post was discussed several years ago but the responses didnt help.

I’m moving up from a usb mic to xlr and am using the babyface pro fs as the interface.  Im testing a dynamic mic with a preamp and a condenser mic to figure out which i like better.

I’m not able to show a signal on the babyface display …. Well i can, as you’ll see with the dynamic, but not in a normal way. Or as expected. I’m sure that I’m doing something “newbie-ish” and it’s a basic oversight. But I’ve researched and read the manual - I can’t figure it out.

Here’s my rundown (on a windows 10 os):

• i am able to get sound from music or videos channeled from the computer to the headphone jack in the babyface; so, i know that they're talking.
• if i turn the gain all the way up, i do see a bit of a hiss. and if i unplug the microphone, i do see a reaction within the meter.
• i have the audio technica set up as babyface AN2 > dynamite > xlr > audio technica microphone. (i had it the other way around but it didn't work any different; so, i reversed it so that the dynamite didn't stick out so much.
• this microphone will register if i turn on phantom power. but i believe that i shouldn't need phantom power + the dynamite preamp
• i have the shure set up as babyface AN1 > xlr > shure microphone. i do have phantom power turned on.
• i have the gain turned up to about 35 for both - this is about where i start hearing hiss. i hear the hiss whether i have the mics plugged in or not; so, i assume that this is line noise or something.

any suggestions that you have are welcome

Re: Babyface pro fs not showing mic levels

That dynamite preamp thing seems to be an XLR plug for connecting behind the mic ?
You can plug this directly into the Babyface and from there an XLR-cable to the mic when it is more comfortable.
No problem, but it needs phantompower on. The mic doesn't need the phantompower but the preamp plug is phantompowered for doing the preamp work.
Then you have to look the Totalmix input channels, there the signal must show up.
If you want to see this signal on the Babyface front you probably have to click the IN-button until the signal shows up.

M1-Sequoia, Madiface Pro, Digiface USB, Babyface silver and blue

Re: Babyface pro fs not showing mic levels

Humph! I didn’t think that the preamp needed fantom power. Good to know. That should resolve the issue with that mic. I’ll have to work on the condenser. Thanks for the help.