Topic: Babyface pro fs input 3/4 line in question

Good afternoon

I am wondering whether the line in 3 4 (at the sides) is only meant as a instrument input (di) for say electric guitar or if i can also use it as a normal line in to hook up an external mic pre. I know analog 1 en 2 can be switched to line in via pad but i want to use 3 and 4 as 2 more inputs using external mic pres or hook up a cd player for example.

Re: Babyface pro fs input 3/4 line in question

3/4 will work with line signals also.

Regards
Daniel Fuchs
RME

Will there be a mismatch and or deterioration of sound quality?

I shouldn’t think so. I use mine for guitars keyboards and all sorts

Babyface Pro Fs, Behringer ADA8200, win 10/11 PCs, Cubase/Wavelab, Adam A7X monitors.

Is it true that line in 3 and 4 detects the source e.g. a guitar and switches to hi-z when needed?

guitarking wrote:

Is it true that line in 3 and 4 detects the source e.g. a guitar and switches to hi-z when needed?

No,it's always hi-Z, Totalmix channel settings for input channels 3 and 4 are the place to click the button -10dBV for guitar or +4dBu for keyboards.

M1-Sequoia, Madiface Pro, Digiface USB, Babyface silver and blue

7 (edited by guitarking 2021-08-24 09:28:40)

Ok tnx

There is this rme audio video in which someone says these inputs switch to hi z automatically when eg a guitar is plugged in. To me this implies that its not always hi z. Hence the question cause in the manual a fixed impedance is given.

https://youtu.be/ARaW4ihOWgM from about 19.44m

What setting should i chose when using an external mic pre  or a cd player, -10 or +4?

8 (edited by waedi 2021-08-24 10:04:15)

guitarking wrote:

Ok tnx

There is this rme audio video in which someone says these inputs switch to hi z automatically when eg a guitar is plugged in. To me this implies that its not always hi z. Hence the question cause in the manual a fixed impedance is given.

https://youtu.be/ARaW4ihOWgM from about 19.44m

What setting should i chose when using an external mic pre  or a cd player, -10 or +4?

+4

I got this from user manual page 10, thats why I think it's always hi-Z.
The analog inputs 3/4 are high impedance, unbalanced multi-purpose inputs with TS jacks. They include 9 dB fine digital gain control, and a choice of +4 dBu or -10 dBV reference level, controlled from the Tools menu of input channels 3 and 4 in TotalMix FX.
In any case you always have to watch your incoming signals in Totalmix and react to it.

M1-Sequoia, Madiface Pro, Digiface USB, Babyface silver and blue

Ok tnx!

Maybe someone from rme support coukd chime in?

Nothing to chime in - it explicitely says 'Line'.

Regards
Matthias Carstens
RME

I dont really understand.
Does it switch to hi-z when needed or is it always hi-z?

It is always Hi-Z, and that doesn't mean it is not suited for Line usage.

Regards
Matthias Carstens
RME

Ok tnx. Good to hear!

I think than the presentor of the above mentioned youtube video is maybe mistaken (or I misunderstood him) because he talks about switching to hi-z....

Also on the topic of the unbalanced inputs 3/4, if connecting to a mixer with a balanced TRS output to these unbalanced TS inputs, what cable would be best, TS to TS, TRS to TRS , or TRS to TS? Or would it make any difference?