Topic: UCX II as Phono Preamp

I don't have the technical know how to answer this question. Could the UCX II be used as a phono stage?
The Mic inputs have loads of gain.
If there was passive RIAA equalisation in between the Mic inputs and the cartridge output would this work?

Re: UCX II as Phono Preamp

No unfortunately. Apart from the RIAA equalisation, phono signals are very very quiet in the 5 mV range. >60 times lower than consumer line level (316mV RMS) and require proper amplification via a phono stage.

3 (edited by pschelbert 2021-08-31 20:51:24)

Hi

yes it is possible using Mic input with an MC cartridge which has low impedance. Needs correct cabling to Mic Input though.
RIAA can be done by an RIAA equalizer  after the amplification of UCX II. For example with a FIR-convolver (acourateconvolver or other) which implements RIAA.
You have to try if the noise level is okay, means better than a good RIAA phono preamp.

Or offline recording with audacity or Vinylstudio (both contain RIAA EQ)

Addition: If you have  Moving Magnet (MM) cartridge it won't sound good as the input impedance doesn't fit.

Regards
Matthias Carstens
RME

Thanks for all the feedback. I thought there would be a reason I hadn't seen it as a solution before.

6 (edited by pschelbert 2021-09-01 20:33:47)

I would say its not a standard solution, ADI2Pro is not specifically designed for that but possible if you are skilled.

Sounds like a very expensive experiment hooking up a mc pickup to digital interface just to apply a digital riaa conversion. Better connect the riaa preamp to ucxII, work out gain issues, apply some EQ and maybe some expander.
Im not an engineer, but I dare to say that riaa filtering is the easier part of a phono preamp, amplifying the small signal is the harder.

I get lousy gain from my riaa(Cambridge audio CP1 MM). Waiting for some cabling to test it out with UCX. Need at least 10 more db to get the same level as digital. Moreover some of my records could do with more or less bass, some analyzing and adjusting here.

Digitizing LP's is probably fun, but kinda think it defeats the purpose of the sweet laid back analog sound. I dont know, but ive heard some really shitty digitized records. Noisy and totally lifeless sound. While better attempts can be "listenable". Seems to me that the digitizing mostly bring out the lesser sides of analog recordings. They where mixed to fill a dynamic range of 70db. How can U fill up the rest of the DR of digital?

ADI-2 DAC, ADI-2 PRO, DigifaceUSB, UCXII, ARC, HEGEL.h80, KEF.ls50, HD650, ie400pro _,.\''/.,_

8 (edited by pschelbert 2021-09-02 20:06:33)

Hi

I must correct:

"I would say its not a standard solution, ADI2Pro is not specifically designed for that but possible if you are skilled."

Its UCX not ADI2Pro.

Actually its almost costless if you own an UCX, UFX etc.. A computer you need anyway and software which is cheap or costless.

You hear live or digitize LP as you like.
The Quality of digitizing is as good as the LP and your cartridge is.
You will hear every click, crack, rumble noise in highest quality. So nothing is lost form the LP.
The possible quality is ways higher of RME UCX, UCX II UFX UFX+ etc. as any Vnyl (by factors!)
RIAA eq and additional eq is painless and easy in software.

Depends what you intend to do.