Topic: HELP: turning off fireface disconnects hard drives and keyboard!?

hey everyone,

first post here and thanks in advance for any help!
i have a reeaally strange issue happening here with my RME Fireface UCX.

i just bought this, and it seems that when i turn OFF the interface, it causes a bunch of issues with my computer.

when i turn off the UCX, anything also connected to it via USB (not in a dongle or anything, all separate) disconnects from the computer. so my hard drives disconnect and that little warning pops up in the corner that says "disk not ejected properly" pops up. scary. also, my bluetooth keyboard and trackpad disconnect and then WON'T reconnect. so i have to turn off the computer with the power button on the back, and turn it back on that way. super annoying. and weird.

i usually close logic, turn off my speakers, put the computer to sleep, and then turn off the interface, so for a while i thought it was an issue the computer disconnecting things while it was "asleep", but i just turned off the interface first while the computer screen was still on and watched it all happen, so it has to be something to do with the interface.

i'm on a 27" iMac, 4.2ghz i7, 32g ram, Mac OS 10.13.6, brand new RME FF UCX.

side note: every time i turn on the computer, totalmix says that the settings on the computer are different from the device and ask me if i want to sync them. don't know if that's related.

anyone have any similar experience!? this is killing me!

Re: HELP: turning off fireface disconnects hard drives and keyboard!?

I have heard of similar cases, but there is no way the UCX driver or hardware can cause this. What makes the Mac react this way is not something I am aware of, sorry. Have you tried other USB ports?

Regards
Daniel Fuchs
RME

Regards
Daniel Fuchs
RME

i had a different brand interface for the past 5 years and it never happened. it’s super straight forward, i hit the off switch, and everything disconnects right there.

i love the RME otherwise! but this is a very strange thing, and i’m afraid it’s going to damage my hard drives or computer if i don’t figure it out. i can try another USB port, yeah. anything else i should try?

Use a hub. This has been mentioned here and elsewhere quite often.

Regards
Matthias Carstens
RME

does using a hub increase latency or degrade quality at all?

No.

Regards
Matthias Carstens
RME

7 (edited by costadossantos 2020-08-25 21:55:47)

Hi,

I have the same problem with the new iMac 2020 on Catalina 10.15.6.
I tried to change the cable and thought that the problem was solved, but the problem is still going.

RME what is the solution ?

Greetz

I am experiencing the same problem with Babyface on the new iMac 2020 (Catalina)
I also tried changing the cable to no avail.

Hi I am experiencing the same problem with my FirefaceUC on Mohave. If I turn it off it disconnects external hard drives and also my mouse. I have switched temporarily to using a Thunderbolt to USB hub and that solves it but I was always led to believe using a hub with an audio interface was a bad idea so why is this recommended now and can we please have a proper fix instead of a workaround?

The RME interface or driver can not actively disconnect other USB devices when it's inactive. Whatever causes this is happening on the Mac somewhere...

Regards
Daniel Fuchs
RME

Ok but this only happens when I disconnect or turn off the Fireface so there must be a connection - especially considering many people seem to have this same problem and the workaround is to use a USB Hub.