Topic: How to check USB capability with Fireface UFX II

I just installed a Fireface UFX II and everything seems to be working as it should. Even with an Octamic hooked up.
The USB Diagnosis in the settings doesn't show any errors when using 2 outputs, but how do I check if the USB port and USB cable is adequate enough to handle a full load of inputs and outputs ?
I'd like to avoid any embarrassment when a recording session starts  - I can't yell in 12 mikes at the same time :-)
I had no problems with a Fireface 800 and firewire.
Mads
--

Re: How to check USB capability with Fireface UFX II

Hello!

You could use an audio file or a test tone from your DAW.
Send it to every Output, then activate Loopback in every Output and then record every Input!

RME Gear: Digiface USB, HDSP 9632

3 (edited by ramses 2021-09-06 10:54:52)

If memory serves me right it's a little bit different ...

All channels are instantly being transferred, so it should be sufficient to run audio through one stereo pair and then to watch out in the driver settings for CRC errors and to listen whether you hear clicks and pops.

That's also why RME points out that the RME Recording interface has (in all those cases) more channels / data to transfer,
when users note, that it worked flawlessly on a 2 or 4-channel XYZrite. Some computers can't cope with permanently having to transport more audio bandwidth in time. But if you have a good computer, then RME is able to transport 68/68 (in/out) through USB2, see MADIface Pro !!

The only driver which optimizes the amount of channels being transferred over PCIe is the HDSPe MADI FX.
And with the Firewire driver it was possible (not sure whether for all FW interfaces) to select, whether to use / transfer only analog or all type of channels (incl digital channels like e.g. ADAT) through Firewire.

BR Ramses - UFX III, 12Mic, XTC, ADI-2 Pro FS R BE, RayDAT, X10SRi-F, E5-1680v4, Win10Pro22H2, Cub13

Hi, Ramses!!

You 're, absolutelly, right! I, also, remember that this is the case! Checking for errors in the driver is the way to go!
I suggested the above to the OP, thinkng that he might want to check his whole system 's integrity! (heavy use of effects, CPU etc)

RME Gear: Digiface USB, HDSP 9632

hi guys,
thank's for answering!
I tried playback of 24 tracks while recording another 24 tracks - no problems with USB :-)
I could even go as low as 32 samples before  I had crackles -quite good for an 11 years old PC!
best wishes,
Mads