Topic: Digiface Firewire & macOS Big Sur?

Hello everyone! I'm new to RME products and somewhat confused.

I'm looking to purchase a (2nd hand) Digiface FW [1]. I'll be connecting the Digiface via a Firewire-to-Thunderbolt-2 Apple adaptor directly to a trashcan Mac Pro (i.e. not via a PCMCIA card or anything like that) that currently runs Big Sur. I found the "macOS 11 HDSPe Series" v4.21 driver which lists all of the following as supported products:

Digiface, HDSPe AES, HDSPe AIO, HDSPe AIO Pro, HDSPe MADI, HDSPe RayDat, Multiface, RPM

Now, this (as well as almost everything I've read around here) suggests it should work just fine. However, the RME product catalogue lists a load of Digifaces and a bunch of different ways to connect them to a computer, so my question is: is the Digiface FW I'm looking to buy actually referred to by "Digiface" in the list above?

My question is quite dumb (apologies!) but the state of drivers on macOS 11 is universally a sad story and I guess I'm defaulting to believing that things *won't* work and need a little nudge to actually believe -- a simple "yes" (or "no") will do, however if you're willing to share your experience, I'll appreciate it smile

Thank you!

[1]: specifically, this product: https://archiv.rme-audio.de/en/products/digiface.php

Re: Digiface Firewire & macOS Big Sur?

I'll be connecting the Digiface via a Firewire-to-Thunderbolt-2 Apple adaptor

This will not work, the old Digiface needs a HDSP host card to work. It's a 2 part system, and the Digiface does not use FireWire protocol, it only uses a FW400 cable for the connection to the host card.

Regards,
Jeff Petersen
Synthax Inc.

Re: Digiface Firewire & macOS Big Sur?

Bummer. I completely misunderstood the product. I was just reading the manual and was starting to realise the breakout box needs either the PCI or PCMCIA card, but you were fast! Thanks for your quick reply.