1 (edited by charleszoltan 2021-09-05 20:05:28)

Topic: Rme Digiface Dante on Big Sur

Hi,

I'm working with a sound engineer on a project, he is using a Mac book pro running on Big Sur thru usb c.
when he connect his RME Dante all is working fine, Fireface USB settings , in Ableton audio works fine.

But he cannot use Dante controller, nothing is detect even his own RME
We can see all the devices on the network when we use others computers.
We updated all driver and firmware. We test on other computer his RME and we test an other RME on his computer but same results.
I pretty sure that this come from a problem on OS X Big Sur, no problem in file vault and confidentiality but maybe you have already encountered this problem with others users.

I don't know where to look at now ?
Any help will be appreciate smile

Re: Rme Digiface Dante on Big Sur

Is his version of Dante Controller ready for Big Sur?

Big Sur does not support kernel network drivers anymore. Use the normal USB driver and install the netifc solution from our download page on the website.

This information is also published in the readme of the current driver package 3.25.

Regards
Matthias Carstens
RME

Hi all,

I have a other problem with the RME Network driver in BigSur,
In DanteController I can choice the feth10000
But in the the NetworkSettings I can’t change the ip Adress. We used it with a static ip. It’s a restriction in the museum.
Thx
Martin

I have the same problem to use Dante Controller we have a live setup and it needs also a static IP adres 

martin.lehmann.vt wrote:

Hi all,

I have a other problem with the RME Network driver in BigSur,
In DanteController I can choice the feth10000
But in the the NetworkSettings I can’t change the ip Adress. We used it with a static ip. It’s a restriction in the museum.
Thx
Martin

While the netifc interface doesn't show up in the Network Settings dialog, IP settings can still be configured using a cmdline tool like ifconfig, e.g.

ifconfig feth10000 192.168.0.10

The challenge is to make this a persistent setting that survives reboots.

Before you try the solution below, please consider to install a DHCP server in your system!
Most servers can be configured to only serve hosts with a specific MAC address and assign them a fixed IP,
which is pretty close to a static configuration.
It's so much easier. If that's not possible, read on...

...so Mac OS now uses launchd to launch scripts/daemons at runtime. netifc also has such a script in /Library/LaunchDaemons/de.rme-audio.netifc.plist.
One possible solution could be to create a custom script that waits for netifc to be running and assigns IP settings using ifconfig:

#!/bin/bash
#
# /usr/local/bin/netifc_static_ip.sh
# Waits for netifc process and assigns a static ip.
#
PROCESS=netifc
is_running=$(ps aux | grep -v grep | grep -ci $PROCESS)

while [ $is_running -eq 0 ]; do
  sleep 5;
done

ifconfig feth10000 10.1.2.3

# pretend to be running for a while, otherwise launchd assumes
# the script has crashed
sleep 10;

Put this in /usr/local/bin/netifc_static_ip.sh (for example) and assign execution permissions.
Example launchd script, /Library/LaunchDaemons/de.rme-audio.netifc.staticip.plist:

<?xml version="1.0" encoding="UTF-8"?>
<!DOCTYPE plist PUBLIC -//Apple Computer//DTD PLIST 1.0//EN
http://www.apple.com/DTDs/PropertyList-1.0.dtd>
<plist version="1.0">
<dict>
    <key>Label</key>
    <string>de.rme-audio.netifc.staticip</string>
    <key>ProgramArguments</key>
    <array>
    <string>/usr/local/bin/netifc_static_ip.sh</string>
    </array>
    <key>RunAtLoad</key>
    <true/>
</dict>
</plist>

Set permissions and load with

sudo launchctl load /Library/LaunchDaemons/de.rme-audio.netifc.staticip.plist

There might be more obvious and/or cleaner ways to achieve the same result, but this should do the trick.
Did I mention that using a DHCP server is much easier?

Anyway. Now that Mac OS focuses on DriverKit for user space driver solutions, there might be better solutions than netifc in the future. Let's see.

Best
Marc

P.S. use at your own risk

By the way, the easiest way is of course to use a second network interface, for example a cheap USB-Ethernet-Dongle.

martin.lehmann.vt wrote:

Martin, would that work in your environment? The PC can have its static IP and the Digiface has a "dangling" link local address, which goes nowhere as soon as the subnet ends.
I assume there is one VLAN for each IP subnet and static routes between them?