Topic: FIREFACE UC : disconnect and no sound.

Fireface UC with iMac High Sierra 10.13.6
Fireface UC MAC (23993127) Firmware v138 Drier v3.20

I bought a Fireface UC one month ago, to replace my Motu Ultralite Mk3 and it's such a disappointment!

I've been able to easily install the Fireface, no problems at all, but every day it stops working for no reason?
No red lights anywhere, no error signal, except total mix says "disconnected.

It's so weird ??! it's working fine I'm working on a session in Logic Pro X, it's all good but suddenly for no reason;
there is no more sound ?! and when I try to switch to the mac inner sound card the finder froze with that spinning color wheel ?!?
The Fireface is still visible in the sound menu, but I can't hear anything, any software that works with sound is freezing, even Youtuber on my browser ?!?

I have to restart my computer and hope it will work fine again.. but today I stopped working after 4 attempts.

Any idea why?
Anybody had the same problems?

I'm so disappointed, I heard so many good things about RME...
Just to say, my MOTU never had any problem on the same computer..

Any help/tips will be appreciated.

thanks

Francisco

2 (edited by waedi 2021-04-16 19:12:38)

Re: FIREFACE UC : disconnect and no sound.

Is your computer able to work without external interface ?
Can you work with Logic or play music from Youtube ?
Have you recently installed some plugins for Logic ?

M1-Sonoma, Madiface Pro, Digiface USB, Babyface silver and blue

yes my computer can work without an external interface
but when the Fireface crashes I can't use the internal interface either !?!

I haven't installed anything new since I bought the Fireface. So strange

thanks

Is the "disconnected" message coming from Logic, or Macos?

Did you try another USB port on the iMac? Just in case there's a loose connector.

MB Pro - 2 X FireFace 400, FF800 & DigiFace USB
ADAT gear: Korg, Behri, Fostex, Alesis...

System Preferences / Audio / Device - Fireface ?
Is the old motu driver uninstalled properly ?

Yes I tried different usb connectors (even outside one on a powered hub)

No I didn't uninstalled the motu driver ... how can I do that ?

thanks

francisco.meirino wrote:

No I didn't uninstalled the motu driver ... how can I do that ?

thanks

Unfortunately motu has no uninstaller, you can do it in the finder by finder search motu and delete every file related to motu.

thanks I'll try that, hope it fixes the problem...

When TotalMix shows 'Disconnected' then it has no communication with the UC anymore. This is the same as when pulling the USB cable, so there is something fundamentally wrong. Is the UC still powered in that moment?

Regards
Matthias Carstens
RME

Hi MC : yes the unit stays powered and the little screen active, like nothing happened.
I'll try to remove all the previous MOTU drivers (even if I wanted to keep the option of having two soundcards at once),
I will also change the usb cable that was provided with the unit, see if there's any improvement.

Thank you all !

F

11 (edited by Rorysound 2021-09-30 00:51:56)

francisco.meirino wrote:

Hi MC : yes the unit stays powered and the little screen active, like nothing happened.
I'll try to remove all the previous MOTU drivers (even if I wanted to keep the option of having two soundcards at once),
I will also change the usb cable that was provided with the unit, see if there's any improvement.

Thank you all !

F

Hi all,
I am having exactly the same issues with a MADIface... absolutely driving me NUTS!!!

Until I saw this I thought that having upgraded (if you can call it an upgrade!) to Big Sur was the issue... still not sure that it isn't but hoping this is!

Francisco! Did uninstalling the MOTU software work for you?

Has anyone else encountered this issue?

Intel Big Sur, Burl B80 MADI, RME MADIface USB, Universal Audio 4-710d, TLA 5052, Tube-Tech SMC 2B

So I’ve been looking through the RME forums and came across this post.

I have the same thing happening but on Ventura with Fireface UFX+ and thunderbolt connection, on a m1 ultra Mac Studio.

Did you ever find a solutions?

The disconnects are random and are not easily recreated, no notifications from OS about losing connection.

The unit still shows connection to the driver but it’s unavailable in audio device manager and shows as disconnected at top of total mix.

Super frustrating.

If the device is disconnected, do you see the UFX+ on the Thunderbolt connection in the system report of your mac at Thunderbolt? Same counts for USB.

Regards,
Audio AG Support