Topic: adi-2 fs

Hello,

It can get a little confusing with these units as there are three variations of the ADI-2

https://www.rme-audio.de/ADI-2-FS.html

The RME ADI-2 FS has an SPDIF I/O on RCA connectors (red and white) - As these are consumer level (+10 Db) not (+4 Db Professional) level I would like to ask a question.

Using RME Ray-Dat - AES / SPDIF I/O would there be loss of signal using SPDIF instead of AES?

It would have been better if this unit had AES I/O then it would link up with Ray-Dat more easily.

I'm not a major expert in these matters but do need to ask about this - Thank you.

Re: adi-2 fs

No loss of signal as both is digital SPDIF and AES. If the signal arrives all is fine.
When you say AES I/O you mean XLR connectors ?
You can use a cable XLR to cinch.

M1-Sonoma, Madiface Pro, Digiface USB, Babyface silver and blue

If you look to product page (at least on archive server) and to the manual you will find, that
ADI-2 FS's coaxial SPDIF output is AES compatible.
Manual ch 6.6 details the pinout of an adapter cable.

Reference levels you have on analog outputs, the output that you refer to (SPDIF coax) is a digital output.

See also manual ch 10.3:
SPDIF coaxial
- RCA, according to IEC 60958
- High-sensitivity input stage RCA: < 0.2 Vpp input level
- Output voltage RCA Consumer 0.7 V, Professional 1.4 V
- Single Wire mode, sample rate 28 kHz up to 200 kHz

https://www.rme-audio.de/downloads/adi2fs_d.pdf
https://www.rme-audio.de/downloads/adi2fs_e.pdf

BR Ramses - UFX III, 12Mic, XTC, ADI-2 Pro FS R BE, RayDAT, X10SRi-F, E5-1680v4, Win10Pro22H2, Cub13

If you switch the digital Coax to AES, it conforms to AES in format AND level.
There‘s no interfacing problems to expect.

See manual page 13:

SPDIF coaxial
• RCA, according to IEC 60958
• High-sensitivity input stage RCA: < 0.2 Vpp input level
• Output voltage RCA Consumer 0.7 V, Professional 1.4 V
• Single Wire mode, sample rate 28 kHz up to 200 kHz

Anyway, you wildly mix analog and digital specs and approaches.
A digital connection either works, or not.
There is no in between, except maybe unstable, but that’s clearly audible as dropouts and counts to the 2nd category.

KaiS wrote:

If you switch the digital Coax to AES, it conforms to AES in format AND level.
There‘s no interfacing problems to expect.

See manual page 13:

SPDIF coaxial
• RCA, according to IEC 60958
• High-sensitivity input stage RCA: < 0.2 Vpp input level
• Output voltage RCA Consumer 0.7 V, Professional 1.4 V
• Single Wire mode, sample rate 28 kHz up to 200 kHz

Anyway, you wildly mix analog and digital specs and approaches.
A digital connection either works, or not.
There is no in between, except maybe unstable, but that’s clearly audible as dropouts and counts to the 2nd category.

Hi, yes you are correct I look at the analog and digital specs and my approaches may not be the best but I did say I'm no major expert on this.

From what you write it seems there would NOT be a problem IF

From my point of view it would be best to go from AES/EBU XLR (+4 Db) directly into AES/EBU XLR (+4DB) but the ADI-2 FS does not have AES/EBU input but does have SPDIF I/O (+10DB).

It seems though the SPDIF connector would work and bump the level upto +4 DB on ADI-2 FS before going out of the analog outputs.

From my basic understanding AES/EBU & SPDIF are the same digital signal but the AES/EBU is a hotter signal - Anyway it seems if I got this unit there would not be a problem due to using SPDIF on RCA connectors - Thanks