1 (edited by Ninbura 2021-09-25 02:36:44)

Topic: Understanding USB Diagnosis Errors

Switched several interfaces around in my setup, used to have 2 interfaces running on USB 2 (Digiface USB & FireFace UCX), but now I have 2 interfaces running on USB 3 (Madiface XT & Fireface UFX+) and I'm running into "USB Diagnosis" errors.

From my understanding some methods of fixing this are using shorter and or better cables, and using PCIe USB 3.0 add-in cards. My setup is jam packed with tech and cables, so my hope is that it's just an interference problem. However, I'm starting to worry as even with a 6ft cable and a USB card running straight on CPU lanes I'm tripping these errors on both PCs. I've now purchased 2 Lindy Cromo line cables in hopes that they magically fix my problems, but I'm worried that the issue may be deeper, like a problem with USB 3 and my chipset. Both PCs in question are running AMD Threadripper 1950X CPUs and Taichi X399 motherboards, and as previously mentioned are throwing errors via PCIe add in cards and integrated ports with a 6ft cable.

I've noted that there are 3 sections separated by bars in the USB Diagnosis line, and what I'm observing is that when a number other than zero appears in the center between the two bars my computer can no longer receive input or transmit output audio to the interface over USB. Unplugging the interface and then plugging it back in at this point more often than not results in a Bluescreen, but even if it doesn't I have to restart the computer before the interface starts working normally again. I'm wondering if there is any info regarding what section means what? As in the number on the left vs center vs right.

Thanks for any help or suggestions.

MADI FX, Fireface UFX+, ADI-648, HDSPe RayDAT, ADI-192 DD

Re: Understanding USB Diagnosis Errors

Are you using two interfaces at the same time? And if so does it at least work when connecting only one interface?

Regards
Matthias Carstens
RME

I'm using two interfaces, but each one is connected to each PC respectively.

So one PC has the MADIface XT connected, and the other the UFX+. I can go anywhere from 5 minutes to 2 hours before the number changes in USB Diagnosis and I have to restart the PC to fix. Same issue on both PCs, but the interfaces are different.

Then I expect it to be an AMD issue. See the last BIOS updates that was offered to improve audio performance.

Regards
Matthias Carstens
RME

Unfortunately I'm on the latest BIOS.

I notice that when I run the USB cables along the other cables in the setup the errors happen a lot sooner, still hoping it a shielding issue somehow, not sure what to do if I find out it's not.

Do you happen to know if there's any rhyme or reason in regards to the position of the error in the bars and or as to what the number is?

Gonna be difficult to replace both systems, but I guess if that's what it comes to...

Differentiating the numbers is not helpful and gives no clue on the underlying error. The only rule is - only 0 errors are good.

Regards
Matthias Carstens
RME

7 (edited by Ninbura 2021-09-26 01:46:45)

Thank you for the help as always MC, this has been a big learning experience for me.

In the MADIface settings panel I've adjusted the Buffer Size from 128 on both PCs to 512 and (knock on wood) I haven't had an error since. I didn't think this would make a difference because on one PC that was getting the errors I wasn't even using ASIO, and from my understanding WDM Devices have a standardized buffer separate from the one in the MADIface settings. But if I've learned anything over the past few days, it's that I understand very little in regards to real-time audio over USB.

Latency isn't a big problem on the two PCs in question, at least not the audio being transmitted over USB, so if setting a higher buffer fixes the errors that's good enough for me. I only had the buffer set at 128 because that's what I've found to be stable (no cracks or pops) when using Ableton on my primary PC, which is actually connected to another UFX+ over thunderbolt (glad it's not USB). Was just trying to be consistent with my settings across each PC, but maybe with a higher buffer and better cables I'm good as gold.

Am I just getting lucky or can adjusting buffer size affect these errors?

8 (edited by Ninbura 2021-09-26 08:26:23)

Eventually both of my PCs still crashed, even after raising it again to a 1024 buffer. But it did seem to delay the problem…

Still need to try a few more things before I forsake my motherboards or CPUs, ie different PCIe USB card & better cables, just waiting for them to come in.

Not looking very promising considering my results up until now, however.

9 (edited by Ninbura 2021-09-27 22:36:05)

As I was testing last night I was able to consistently get the MADIface XT connected via a new 5ft USB 3 cable to disconnect by launching a video game on my primary computer. Hard to believe that this could be problematic, but launching a game, or rather once my GPU started rendering the game these interfaces disconnected 8/10 times.

GPU in question is an RTX 3090 which are known to emit high levels of noise. I actually had a problem with this last year regarding my primary mic, which is an SM7B. When I had it connected via a standard XLR cable it was picking up a lot of noise while my GPU was rendering, the only way I was able to fix the issue was by using a Mogami XLR cable, so basically I needed top of the line shielding.

Also just to mention, when the GPU is rendering a game I get some pretty bad noise over my Yamaha HS5 + HS8S monitors when connected to the outputs on the MADIface XT, but not when connected to the outputs of either UFX+. Maybe because the power cable for the MADIface is not grounded? I keep my audio equipment connected to a separate surge protector from my computers, and route the analog cables running to the speakers away from power cables, if that’s any consolation.

Interestingly with the new 5ft cable my UFX+ runs fine, I think I may have a faulty MADIface XT on my hands.

I couldn't get USB 3.0 to be completely stable no matter what I tried, probably something to do with my platform or other peripherals.

I've since swapped out the MADIface XT for the MADI FX and the Fireface UFX+ with a combination of an HDSPe RayDAT, ADI-648, and a Scarlett Octo Pre.

Now everything is interface together and I have no connection issues, thanks for the help / suggestions.