Topic: Access RME SC via network ???

Hi,

I'm not sure where to ask that question. Nuendo forum (software I use) .. RME (my soundcard) or windows geeks ?
I have an art installation where nuendo plays 8 tracks. But there's not a sweetspot to mix from. It's a path for audience over 100m.
I would like to use my laptop with nuendo and walk around that path and adjust the mix in place.
Is there a way to leave my fireface UC (or 802) near the mixing desk in the truck and send the audio via wifi or I don't know what to the soundcard ? (maybe a computer that then routes it out to SC ?)
I have no clue. The only solution I think of for the moment is to leave my computer and soundcard in the truck and access it using (google distant desktop) but I think it only gives my access to the mouse that is very limited to 8 channel mix tongue

thx for ideas.

2 (edited by ramses 2021-10-17 13:11:41)

Re: Access RME SC via network ???

Some ideas:

1. MADI based setup

Maybe not in your case now as you bought other devices (UC, 802), perhaps for the future.
Use MADI as multicore, supports 64ch at single speed, can be 2km long between each of the devices in a serial setup where you can chain up to 8 preamps/adda-converter.
On special order even with single mode modules which allow up to 10km.
Newer RME products like 12Mic and M1610 Pro can be equipped with SFP modules, there you can choose yourself whether you want/need multimode or singlemode.
See also this little summary: https://forum.rme-audio.de/viewtopic.php?id=29988). When using single-mode take care, this is laser light, do not look into it.

Example:
UFX+ -------------------------------------- 100+m MADI cable ---------- M-1610 Pro or M-32 Pro - active monitors
+-------------------------------------------------------------------------------+

2. Network based solution using TM FX remote (using your current recording interfaces)

PC (maybe best rack version), recording interface and active monitor at the location.
Deploy own WLAN Access Point.
Use a Windows Tablet to control / fine tune the final submix using TotalMix Remote.
The advantage of this setup is that you can move freely on site with the Windows tablet and then refine the submix piece by piece in TotalMix FX.
That way you could also control the PC via a remote access solution if additionally required to fire up the Nuendo project.

3. Maybe also a DURec based solution is possible
Requires an interface with DURec: UCX II, UFX II, UFX+
1st step: get rid of Nueno:
Playback the tracks in Nuendo and record them through loopback with DURec to have them on USB stick
You need to experiment a little bit with it ... Then it should be possible to
- playback all tracks of the multi-channel wave file with DURec and
- ajust the volume of each track
Then either
- in stand-alone mode by adjusting volume on the device itself or by connecting an iPAD with USB or
- by having a PC connected there (in a rack or whatever) and by remote controlling it over network as mentioned above

For standalone operation you can operate UCX II, UFX II/+ nicely also through the display alone, make adjustments and store them on the device in up to 6 configuration profiles that you can recall at any time for any predefined purpose.

Please note: with DURec you can only either record or play ... not both. So I am not sure, as you mentioned Nuendo, whether playback is all that you need.

BR Ramses - UFX III, 12Mic, XTC, ADI-2 Pro FS R BE, RayDAT, X10SRi-F, E5-1680v4, Win10Pro22H2, Cub13