1 (edited by Jperkins 2021-10-18 16:48:18)

Topic: TotalMix Questions

Can anybody explain the difference between a Snapshot and Workspace in the TotalMix app?

I usually just Save As... both of them when I make changes and want to save a new file to lock it in should something change.

Also, if I have two RME cards (AES and AIO), does saving a Snapshot and/or Workspace save both of these? Or do I have to change to each one and save a Snapshot and Workspace for each card?

Re: TotalMix Questions

Get one of the newer manuals, which were written, when the new TotalMix FX was already out.
Explained e.g. here in ch 20.5.2
https://www.rme-audio.de/downloads/hdspeaiopro_d.pdf
https://www.rme-audio.de/downloads/hdspeaiopro_e.pdf

All settings (except those of preferences) are saved in the workspace file.
This is how I make a backup of my TotalMix FX settings, which includes snapshots.
Those files you should include into your Operating Systems backup.

I use additionally Quick workspace select.
These are 30 fix slots for different workspace setups (which include 8 snapshots).
So you have 30x8 Snapshots in quick access.
And even nicer, the first nine workspaces you can restore easily with the key combination ALT-1, .., ALT-9 (9x 8Snapshots=72). By this you have 9 different Window Settings with 8 Snapshots available at your fingertips.

BR Ramses - UFX III, 12Mic, XTC, ADI-2 Pro FS R BE, RayDAT, X10SRi-F, E5-1680v4, Win10Pro22H2, Cub13

Thanks. I will read the manual tonight but it sounds like saving the Workspace is the way to back up EVERYTHING.

The only thing that may not be clear from the manual is if I have to toggle to both devices AES and AIO and save them separately or if saving a workspace remembers the settings of both devices in one save.

And why don't you simply try that out yourself ?
Save Workspace as, change somehing little (fader position) in each of the two TM FX instances.
Load Workspace and check whether the changes are still there..

BR Ramses - UFX III, 12Mic, XTC, ADI-2 Pro FS R BE, RayDAT, X10SRi-F, E5-1680v4, Win10Pro22H2, Cub13

ramses wrote:

And why don't you simply try that out yourself ?
Save Workspace as, change somehing little (fader position) in each of the two TM FX instances.
Load Workspace and check whether the changes are still there..

I have a rather complex setup I didn't want to break and in part it tied into my first question. Plus, intended behavior is not always what really happens.

The workspace is a readable XML file. You will see that it includes all currently recognized interfaces.

Snapshots are easy to overwrite and can be lost quickly, therefore the workspace should be saved even if you have set up only one snapshot.

Regards
Matthias Carstens
RME

MC wrote:

The workspace is a readable XML file. You will see that it includes all currently recognized interfaces.

Snapshots are easy to overwrite and can be lost quickly, therefore the workspace should be saved even if you have set up only one snapshot.

Thanks. This all started because last week seemingly out of nowhere, my mixer settings reset to some kind of default state and while I'd be willing to bet I had saved a recent workspace and snapshot, the files were nowhere to be found so I had to start from an older version of the settings.

Not a huge deal, but now I'm on a mission to understand things better so that doesn't happen again.