1 (edited by endriu 2021-10-21 20:05:34)

Topic: Sonnet Chassis Thunderbolt + RME Hdspe Raydat

Hi,
I'm planning to buy the MacMini for my studio works, and due to an old configuration I will need to jump from pcie to thunderbolt.

I would like to ask, if any of you is working on such configuration ?

If so, is there any latency downgrade in comparison with pcie slot on the motherboard?

Re: Sonnet Chassis Thunderbolt + RME Hdspe Raydat

I had my RME AES HDPEe card in a Sonnet Thunderbolt chassis and it worked flawlessly with no latency or slowdown that I could detect. I was even able to disconnect the fan in the Sonnet Thunderbolt chassis because the AES card doesn't run warm at all.

I now have a Mac Pro with an AES and AIO card installed but on my secondary rig I still have an AES card in a smaller OWC chassis and it's also flawless.

I can't speak about the Hdspe Raydat but I'd say you'll more than likely be just fine.

Thank You for the answer! I would like to know, what latency is the lowest You can work on through sonnet?
Right now I can do pretty a lot on the lowest latency 32ms buffer and would love not to loose it. How is it your setup?

4 (edited by ramses 2021-12-20 06:39:00)

Thunderbolt is extended PCIe.
RTL (round trip latency) is mainly determined by the driver, which does not change in this case.
On Windows RTL is mainly determined by the ASIO buffersize that you choose.
With higher sample rate the values become a little bit lower, same as for converter latency (which is much lower compared to the transport over USB/TB).

BR Ramses - UFX III, 12Mic, XTC, ADI-2 Pro FS R BE, RayDAT, X10SRi-F, E5-1680v4, Win10Pro22H2, Cub13