Topic: Trouble connecting through USB

I recently purchased an RME ADI-2 Pro FS R to use as a preamp for my audio system and to also use for 2 channel audio for my tv. My tv is hooked up through the optical port and I have a Mac Mini connected through usb to stream audio. The issue that I am having is that when the optical cable is plugged in, the usb will not work. When I stream music from Amazon HD through usb with this setup, I have to unplug the optical cable and it starts working. I am assuming that the dac gives priority to the optical connection over usb and since I am using the tv as the Mac mini monitor, it is getting a signal from the tv. I have tried to turn off auto switching and selected “usb” and it still behaves exactly the same. Is there any setting to give usb priority over optical with this setup? I am still learning how to use this device and am blown away at the sound quality difference compared to other dacs/preamp combos I’ve tried so I really hope there is a quick fix for this. 

Thanks for your help.

2 (edited by ramses 2021-10-24 15:46:36)

Re: Trouble connecting through USB

Could you please provide a wiring diagram showing what is analog, what is digital (ADAT or optical SPDIF) and what is connected via USB. Thanks. You can also provide smth like a drawing in ASCII, like e.g. here: https://forum.rme-audio.de/viewtopic.ph … 40#p176840

BR Ramses - UFX III, 12Mic, XTC, ADI-2 Pro FS R BE, RayDAT, X10SRi-F, E5-1680v4, Win10Pro22H2, Cub13

I’ll give it a shot. Pardon my ignorance as I am new to digital audio.

Sony Bravia TV——->SPDIF via toslink ———> RME ADI-2 Pro FSR BE SPDIF input.

Mac Mini via usb2.0 cable——-> RME ADI-2 Pro FSR BE USB input.

I’m not sure if that is what you are asking for? The Sony Bravia is also connected to the Mac mini via hdmi and used as a monitor.

Thanks

jjarrett74 wrote:

The issue that I am having is that when the optical cable is plugged in, the usb will not work.
When I stream music from Amazon HD through usb with this setup, I have to unplug the optical cable and it starts working.
I am assuming that the dac gives priority to the optical connection over usb
and since I am using the tv as the Mac mini monitor, it is getting a signal from the tv.
I have tried to turn off auto switching and selected “usb” and it still behaves exactly the same.
Is there any setting to give usb priority over optical with this setup?

According to manual USB mode has precedence over ch 17.4. Maybe check ch 17 more in detail.

BR Ramses - UFX III, 12Mic, XTC, ADI-2 Pro FS R BE, RayDAT, X10SRi-F, E5-1680v4, Win10Pro22H2, Cub13

I figured it out. By changing the device to “DAC only” mode I can now switch between the tv Optical SPDIF and the usb2.0 inputs manually even when both are receiving a signal. Having the device in “auto mode” rendered the source selection buttons on the remote inoperable. It seems like the source select buttons should override “auto mode” but that’s not how it works.

Thanks for your help!

Thanks for this information / reporting back.

Maybe RME finds something that may improve the device or can give you another maybe better recommendation how to handle this.