1 (edited by Bert Werbrouck 2021-10-27 04:37:35)

Topic: Cracks and desynchronization on my octamic ii

Hello,

Just bought an octamic ii to add external pres to my focusrite 18i8 3rd gen. The octamic ii mains (output) are connected with the included cable to the ADAT in of the 18i8 (doesn't have word clock or adat out). The octamic ii is set to master and 44.1 khz (all dip switches up). My focusrite control (the driver of my 18i8) is set at the same sample rate as the octamic. The synchronisation is set to external (the octamic ii should be the master). In theory, everything should work fine but I experience a lot of pops and crackles and also the status of the synchronisation status on the focusrite control goes from locked to unlocked like crazy

A few observations:
- drivers of the focusrite control are up to date
- Did notice that included cable didn't felt really "locked" in the octamic ii mains and aux connectors (there a very little difference between the mains and the aux, the latter being the "less worse"). It feels noticably tighter on the 18i8: once it's locked in, it doesn't move or feel "wiggly". On the octamic, it looked and felt more fragile from the start and it's definitly a bit wiggly when the toslink's connected.

After an intense troubleshooting, I highly suspect that it has something to do with the included toslink cable OR more likely the ADAT connectors from the octamic ii. As a matter of fact, after a few pluggin/unpluggin the toslink cable + power on/of the units, it worked once without too much troubles.

Should I be worried about the octamic ADAT connectors? To be honest, I don't understand how connectors on a level entry soundcard feel more sturdy than on a decent pro octopre like the octamic ii. How can this go past quality control? I can understand that defaults happen and can go under the radar but here, we're talking about a connector that is absolutely crucial to make this unit work... This doesn't leave a first good impression about the product.

Where do we go from here?

Re: Cracks and desynchronization on my octamic ii

I have dealt with some RME equipment, but never had problems with RME TOSLINK jacks on devices.
Maybe the TOSLINK cable that came with the Octamic II was not so good.
I would cross check with a mutec cable.
In any case, Mutec cables always had a good fit, so far there have been no outliers.
Here in the length of 1m, if that is enough for your setup:
https://www.thomann.de/de/mutec_optisches_kabel_1m.htm

BR Ramses - UFX III, 12Mic, XTC, ADI-2 Pro FS R BE, RayDAT, X10SRi-F, E5-1680v4, Win10Pro22H2, Cub13

ramses wrote:

I have dealt with some RME equipment, but never had problems with RME TOSLINK jacks on devices.
Maybe the TOSLINK cable that came with the Octamic II was not so good.
I would cross check with a mutec cable.
In any case, Mutec cables always had a good fit, so far there have been no outliers.
Here in the length of 1m, if that is enough for your setup:
https://www.thomann.de/de/mutec_optisches_kabel_1m.htm

Hi ramses. I really hope that it's the cable. Mutec has good reviews (including people that had the same trouble as me) so that's what I am about to order.
It's still strange that it fits the focusrite perfectly but not the octamic...

Quote: “I highly suspect that it has something to do with the included toslink cable OR more likely the ADAT connectors from the octamic ii.”

Bert, this might seem obvious, but simple things are easily missed.

I wondered whether the transparent protective cover had not been removed from one end of the ADAT cable?

That would prevent the cable from properly locking into place in the ADAT sockets on the OctaMic II, creating the symptoms you describe.

Good luck with getting it sorted.

5 (edited by Bert Werbrouck 2021-10-27 11:57:23)

CrispyChips wrote:

Quote: “I highly suspect that it has something to do with the included toslink cable OR more likely the ADAT connectors from the octamic ii.”

Bert, this might seem obvious, but simple things are easily missed.

I wondered whether the transparent protective cover had not been removed from one end of the ADAT cable?

That would prevent the cable from properly locking into place in the ADAT sockets on the OctaMic II, creating the symptoms you describe.

Good luck with getting it sorted.

Hey crispychips. First experience with toslink cables on my side. I removed the protective caps from both ends of the cable since the beginning.
With a bit of manipulation, it worked but still the toslink cable moves a bit from side to side and up and down when plugged on the octamic ii mains and aux (it clicks though, but very, very losely. I could unplug it by the tiniest and most delicate movement you can think of). It's a tad better on the aux but it's not a night and day difference. I still experience problems on both when not plugged "right" and the cable don't feel secure. No problem whatsoever on the focusrite. It just stays in place (of course it doesn't feel like unplugging a jack or xlr but it feels "locked" and it doesn't wiggle).
It actually works when the cable is in a certain position but I found that by hit and miss, by repeating the pluggin/unpluggin + powering/shutting down operation multiple times...
Really hope it's the cable. I'll keep you posted once I try with another toslink cable (just ordered one...).