Topic: Fireface UC losing connection when AC devices are switched on/off

We've been using a Fireface UC in the studio for 4 years now. It suddenly became inoperational 2 years ago and got RMA'd by Thomann (Germany). I'm not sure when it exactly started, but from some point on after the RMA, the Interface started exhibiting some odd behaviour.
The problem is, that it seems to lose connection to the PC for a brief moment, when a switch (on the same breaker?) is flipped. It often happens that, when I have music playing on the PC, I walk into the storage room to retrieve a mic or something, I'd then hear the music stop playing when I switch on (sometimes off) the lights. When that happens I need to restart the software (for example VLC, Firefox or Spotify) for it to work again. Cubase sometimes stops recording, showing the error message “Recording error: Audio dropout detected”, but I'm not 100% sure if that's the same problem.
My guess is that this is due to AC spikes, which I could filter out with a UPS, but I don't think this is normal behaviour, as this never happened before the RMA and also never happened with any other Audio Interface I owned, so I'd like to know what might cause this and if I could possibly fix this myself.
Today it "disconnected" upon switching on a power strip, which had a headphone amplifier connected to it. This never happened before, as I am aware of.

2 (edited by vinark 2021-10-29 11:35:09)

Re: Fireface UC losing connection when AC devices are switched on/off

Is the UC powered by adapter or usb. Anyhow changing it might fix it. If it does it will give some clue as to the cause. Most logical would either be flakey USB power or a faulty adapter. Also grounding issues could cause this. Also could be the pc usb acting up. You will not notice it is a USB mouse hat a small disconnect. Only with audio or file transfers to an external device.
Good luck hunting

Vincent, Amsterdam
https://soundcloud.com/thesecretworld
BFpro fs, 2X HDSP9652 ADI-8AE, 2X HDSP9632

Re: Fireface UC losing connection when AC devices are switched on/off

Thanks for the reply Vincent, the Fireface is powered by an external power brick, which I think it won't work without.
When I got it back from the RMA, I was notified that the USB port was repaired (no further info).
We'll be upgrading our PC next month, which means new USB connection, so I guess we can rule that out if that doesn't fix it.