Topic: MADIface USB and ADI 648 – WC sync problems

Since upgrading to MacOS 11.6 I have problems with the Word Clock in my system. My set up with MADIface USB and ADI 648, they are connected optically. My external WordClock  is at 44.100 Hz

Fireface USB settings does not have a Source: "Word Clock" any more, the only choices for sync signal are MADI or BNC. I guess that BNC covers also the WordClock input, so in Clock mode I choose the Clock Source as BNC in. Then it shows me as Current Clock : Optical in. Sample Rate is 44100Hz, Word Clock IN: Single Speed
Further on, as Output Format I have MADI optical, 64 ch, 48K Frame
Options: Output 64 channel mix,  Input Optical

As Input Status the Settings show:
MADI Optical Lock, 88,2 kHz. 96K Frame, 28 channels

A 64x64 ADAT Matrix (Friendship DMX32) is connected to all 8 ADAT INS and OUTS of the ADI 648

At this point only the mixer and an old AKAI S6000 (OFF)  and the ADI 648 are connected to the same external Word Clock (Mutec MC-3) and I hear SampleRate conflict crackles, although all units show the same Sample Rate. I disconnected the Word Clock and used the internal Word Clock in the ADI 648 and connected the mixer to the Word Clock Out of the ADI 648 and it works, but when I change in the Settings from Word Clock BNC to Internal, it does not show it on the ADI 648 and the sync LED is blinking. Only if I switch at the unit to INT it works.

I would appreciate advice or support if necessary.
Thanks

Re: MADIface USB and ADI 648 – WC sync problems

UPDATE:
Although the Word Clock comes now from at the ADI internal and al equipment shows that it receives at the correct SR, I get a crackle again. It started when I logged out of this website and again when I logged in and since then is appearing randomly.

This setup does not require a word clock sent to the MF USB. It will sync perfectly to the MADI optical signal received from the ADI-648.

And as your last post confirms any crackling is caused by using WDM besides ASIO, screwing up the sample rates and buffer settings. Make sure the sample rates match. Or don't use the MF USB for system audio. Crackling will also stop with a reset of ASIO in the used ASIO application.

Regards
Matthias Carstens
RME

MC: thanks for your response, but it does not really solve the problem. Please also notice that I use Mac OS 11.6 (NOT WINDOWS).

I disconnected the WC completely and use the MADI internal Clock Source and connect my Mixer through the WC Out of the ADI.
Without playing any sound, the sync LED every now and then blinks and the mixer shows an input on all channel (crackles).

The mixer shows me with Word Clock IN, the correct SR.

Also, what is weird, sometimes the crackles ar in sync with Window operations on the Mac, as if there is a connection between (for example) closing a window and the EC of the ADI.

Any other idea?

Many thanks for your support

Sorry, not EC, but WC