Topic: UFX+ thunderbolt and Apple Silicon performance?

Hi all, I have recently been transitioned my music workstation from PC to Mac. I have had crazy good performance with UFX+ on my PC
I am talking about 48kHz 32 samples with 10-20 CPU hungry virtual instruments such as U-he Diva, Repro on the highest quality setting without any hiccup, no clicks, and no pops. CPU usage is like 20% or something. very impressive
I can even mix a 60+ tracks 96kHz project with a bunch of power-hungry plugins under 128 samples.

Recently I switched to Mac and UFX+ couldn't play even one U-He Diva track without clicks and pops under 32 sample setting
I had to raise the buffer to 64 samples.

Granted my PC was very powerful
i9 7980xe 18C/36T overclocked to 4.4Ghz with 128GB ram, all SSD setup

The new Mac
2021 14" Macbook Pro M1 Max 32 core 64GB Ram 2TB SSD.

My main daw is Presonus Studio One 5 (both PC and Mac updated to the latest version, Mac version also runs at M1 native)

I am just wondering if this is the performance I should be expecting(which is understandable, both computer performances are not in the same ballpark) or there's something I can try to improve?

2 (edited by ramses 2021-11-09 10:49:17)

Re: UFX+ thunderbolt and Apple Silicon performance?

darkinners wrote:

I am just wondering if this is the performance I should be expecting(which is understandable, both computer performances are not in the same ballpark) or there's something I can try to improve?

Your PC was a desktop system, the Mac is a laptop with the usual tradeoffs regarding performance.

For Mac there are tuning guides available that look similar to the windows tuning guides.

At the end of the day Windows and Mac are both non-realtime operating systems with the same challanges in terms of audio processing. Audio processes thus can not get a real-time priority to be processed guaranteed in time. Everything is built on certain programming conventions and there needs to be a certain balance. Low level routines (driver code) run as long on a cpu core until they detach themselve from it. The process schedulter may not interrupt that, thus any other process that was scheduled to run on that core needs to wait for its availability. This way also audio processes can be blocked. Therefore it's a good strategy to avoid a high interrupt / driver load on a system and to avoid accessing WLAN/LAN because this causes a lot of additional interrupts and low level routines that again can block the CPU core from processing audio in time. On Windows long lasting drivers result in a higher so called "DPC latency" which you can measure there with a tool called LatencyMon, you might know that already. The same things happen also on Mac, but could have different names, whether such tools exist on MacOS to be able to analyze it .. might be, but I don't know.

Audio projects also differ much in terms of performance / near-real time demands depending on the project structure.
In the one project the challenges can be CPU hungry VST/VSTi or if you are the kind of guy using many inserts in a track which requires a high single thread performance of your CPU, because all inserts usually run in one thread (I think because of performance reasons).

Finally there are also some differences in DAW, some have or had the habit to require a high single thread performance on the first CPU core which (from what I read) can be a limiting factor for DAW projects (Apple Logic). This information is years old, not sure whether it's up-to-date, I only wanted to put some examples.
How similar Windows and MacOS are from hardware perspective you can see, that with Intel CPU's it was possible to use the same HW for Windows or MacOS. You could built a Hackintosh or use Bootcamp to run Windows on Mac.

It's generally a good strategy:
- not to update MacOS to quickly, look for recommendation of the vendors whether the latest and greatest is supported
- maybe disable auto updates so that this is under your control
  ideal: allow notifications about security updates but deploy when you decide, only notification about major OS updates.
- to turn energy saving off as much as possible to prevent DPC latencies and throttling of CPU (challenging with a laptop)
- avoid a high interrupt load, so turn off WiFi, Bluetooth
- keep the amount of background processing low (auto updaters, network accesses, e.g. to cloud)
- do not access the network while you need full performance for audio
- try to connect the recording interface directly behind the USB controller
- disconnect all other USB devices, that you do not need (check whether it makes a difference or not)

- try whether it makes a difference to use USB3, although thunderbolt should be better (external PCIe)
- try all USB ports

If you have latest hardware with unequal CPU cores (performance, efficiency cores) then I could think of, that development of the process schedulter maybe needs more polishing, which interrupts or process load to put on which core. The more complex the hardware/cpu becomes the more intelligence and application recognition you need, maybe this also needs some further tuning. Audio processing is always a bit special because of the near-realtime requirements in processing.

Long story short, I would google for topics like mac and ( music production or audio), the google syntax for that is:
optimize mac for ( music production | audio )

Then you find links like that: https://www.sweetwater.com/sweetcare/ma … imization/

BR Ramses - UFX III, 12Mic, XTC, ADI-2 Pro FS R BE, RayDAT, X10SRi-F, E5-1680v4, Win10Pro22H2, Cub13

Re: UFX+ thunderbolt and Apple Silicon performance?

darkinners wrote:

Hi all, I have recently been transitioned my music workstation from PC to Mac. I have had crazy good performance with UFX+ on my PC
I am talking about 48kHz 32 samples with 10-20 CPU hungry virtual instruments such as U-he Diva, Repro on the highest quality setting without any hiccup, no clicks, and no pops. CPU usage is like 20% or something. very impressive
I can even mix a 60+ tracks 96kHz project with a bunch of power-hungry plugins under 128 samples.

Recently I switched to Mac and UFX+ couldn't play even one U-He Diva track without clicks and pops under 32 sample setting
I had to raise the buffer to 64 samples.

Granted my PC was very powerful
i9 7980xe 18C/36T overclocked to 4.4Ghz with 128GB ram, all SSD setup

The new Mac
2021 14" Macbook Pro M1 Max 32 core 64GB Ram 2TB SSD.

My main daw is Presonus Studio One 5 (both PC and Mac updated to the latest version, Mac version also runs at M1 native)

I'm experiencing the same issue - going from an older intel mac to a newer M1 MAX (but with UCX II). To me seem like there might be an issue with the RME driver and OSX Monterey (which is installed by default)