Topic: Digital distortion with FF400 and MBP USB-C

Hey,

I get digital artefacts/distortion sometimes randomly, doesn’t have to do something with CPU as it happens with only running total mix. it does not happen with my old MBP 2012. adapter problem?

I uploaded a video to demonstrate the problem, it happens at min 2.11
https://youtu.be/oNnnuH8AoH8

I use a MBP 2018 with macOS 11.6 / Fireface 400 Driver Version 3.40
connected via Firewire Cable 400-800
Apple FireWire to Thunderbolt Adapter
Apple Thunderbolt 2 to Thunderbolt 3 (USB-C)

anyone can help?

thanx - Christian

2 (edited by waedi 2021-11-12 00:44:40)

Re: Digital distortion with FF400 and MBP USB-C

Preferred sync ref. is word clock in your settings.
I would change that to SPDIF or ADAT for testing. It is anyway set to auto sync, so this will not be the broblem.
The crackeling is in input 1 and 2, are these the overhead mics ? May you try with different mic cables ?

M1-Sequoia, Madiface Pro, Digiface USB, Babyface silver and blue

thanks for the quick reply!

there is no input in 1/2, neither mic nor line, and I would say the crackeling is also in the playing channels. anyway I also got the crackeling randomly when merely playing a sample in e.g. Ableton live with CPU 1%  But as it happens with the FF400 working without any DAW active, the DAW CPU shouldn't be the problem anyway.
Should I completely trash all RME related files and install the driver anew?

You can try that, but before I would do a simple Total Reset in Totalmix.
Menu Options / Reset Options / Total Reset.

M1-Sequoia, Madiface Pro, Digiface USB, Babyface silver and blue

Sorry for my delayed answer.
I tried the total reset, did not change anything, then I trashed all RME related files and until now it seams to work, knock on wood. one question left:there is one folder called RME TotalMixFX which I removed user/name/Library/Application Support/RME TotalMixFX but did not delete it completely from my mac. will I need it again? there was no new folder created with this name.
thanks again!!