Topic: Request for more loopback channels inside of TotalMix FX

Hi all (particularly MC - hello!)

I was curious if there would be any further capability to add more loopback-only outputs to current TotalMix FX?

I only ask this, because I currently own 2 UFX, 1 UCX, 4 FF400, a Multiface II, hmm maybe I'm forgetting something but anyways, I'm a great fan of RME products.  (In the past I had a pair of 800s, a Babyface Pro, a 96/8 PAD, a 32/8, a Multiface 1, DIGI9652, I could go on...).  And I always find myself running out of loopbacks on my main setup (UFX).

Maybe it's not possible, but I often find myself with the need for extra loopback-only outputs, as I do a lot of complex audio routings with live VST hosts and standalone apps that require their own loopback in order to function correctly.  I find myself having to sacrifice needed hardware inputs and having to resort to having multiple snapshots and presets inside of my host software so that I can toggle the loopbacks off when I'm working on a project that doesn't require as many. 

But it would definitely simplify my workflow if I didn't always have to do this, and I could keep some spare loopback channels active for when they're needed.  I could always run some middleware like ASIO Link Pro, which is amazing in itself, but TotalMix is a revelation for this sort of workflow - also, I'm superstitious about instability of third party virtual drivers - and RME drivers are the reason that I keep so many of these things around.

As I understand it, I could go for a UFX+ which would give me all of the extra i/o because of MADI, but I don't have a need for MADI in my studio. 

Given that I don't understand the specific hardware capabilities of the platform, I wanted to ask if there is any possibility to consider this, if it's even possible. 

Thanks for your time, and rest assured someday I will have that UFX+.

Re: Request for more loopback channels inside of TotalMix FX

Pls find my request / proposal here: https://forum.rme-audio.de/viewtopic.ph … 08#p141408

BR Ramses - UFX III, 12Mic, XTC, ADI-2 Pro FS R BE, RayDAT, X10SRi-F, E5-1680v4, Win10Pro22H2, Cub13

ramses wrote:

Pls find my request / proposal here: https://forum.rme-audio.de/viewtopic.ph … 08#p141408

I did search the forum a bit before posting, but somehow I have missed your suggestion.  I hope that RME might consider this to be useful.  The only thing stopping me from buying the UFX+ is that the only significant benefit it would offer me is more loopback channels.  Someday I will switch to Thunderbolt, but at the moment my setup is absolutely stable beyond my wildest dreams, but even so, shaving off a millisecond of latency in each direction albeit tempting isn't necessary.

Nevertheless, it's not a question of if, for me, it's a question of when, but honestly extra loopback channels would be a dream come true.

ldorio wrote:
ramses wrote:

I did search the forum a bit before posting, but somehow I have missed your suggestion.  I hope that RME might consider this to be useful.  The only thing stopping me from buying the UFX+ is that the only significant benefit it would offer me is more loopback channels.  Someday I will switch to Thunderbolt, but at the moment my setup is absolutely stable beyond my wildest dreams, but even so, shaving off a millisecond of latency in each direction albeit tempting isn't necessary.

Nevertheless, it's not a question of if, for me, it's a question of when, but honestly extra loopback channels would be a dream come true.

Other advantages of the UFX+:
a) three possibilities to connect the recording interface which gives you a nice flexibility to connect to the PC through USB3, Thunderbolt and even USB2 (30ch mode, no MADI record/playback channels, routing of MADI channels local on interface still possible)
b) thunderbolt driver still has the pitch feature which is not possible with the MADIface driver for USB
c) possibility for future expansions / scalability and makes it possible to use AES/ADAT channels for other purposes if you connect e.g. preamps through MADI
d) possibility to record in double/quad speed without loosing too many ADAT channels (as MADI has 64 ch)
e) possibility to place preamps/converters into other rooms / recording room, because MADI fiber cable can be 2km long between each of the MADI devices.

BR Ramses - UFX III, 12Mic, XTC, ADI-2 Pro FS R BE, RayDAT, X10SRi-F, E5-1680v4, Win10Pro22H2, Cub13

ramses wrote:

Now if the audio could be routed simultaneously via USB and TB, then I would buy it tomorrow, but I know this is not the case.

The other so-called advantages would be useful, for someone else indeed.  Just not me.  Just need more loopback, and not even a lot, 4 extra pairs would do me fine.

ldorio wrote:
ramses wrote:

Now if the audio could be routed simultaneously via USB and TB, then I would buy it tomorrow, but I know this is not the case.

The other so-called advantages would be useful, for someone else indeed.  Just not me.  Just need more loopback, and not even a lot, 4 extra pairs would do me fine.

Fair enough, was simply in brainstorming mode to find out, whether it could have other advantages to you just in case that you find more justifications for you to consider such a purchase.