1 (edited by juniton 2021-11-13 16:19:21)

Topic: MADIface XT Changing order of MADI Groups

Hi,

I'm a happy user of the hdspe MADIfx PCIe Card for many years now but due to a change in systems I won't have the PCIe slot anymore. That's why I checked out the USB MADIface XT!

With the extra OPTO-X the HDSPe MADI FX then has three optical MADI I/Os. And I setup our current MADI environment/system in the Card given order (MADI 1-3). We always work in 96kHzs so it looks like:

1. Channel 1-32 are Converter for Mastering/Digital FX/MainMonitoring etc,
2. Channel 33-64 are the main recording converter and
3. Channel 65-96 are for a Aviom Monitoring System.

Now I have two questions:
1. Is there an option within the MADIface XT to change the 3rd Madi I/O to optical instead of BNC (like our current setup with the OPTO-x)

2. Or is there an option to change the order of the MADI Groups of the MADIface XT (1-3),
e.g.:MADI I/O 1streams Madi Channel 33-64 instead of 1-32 in Total Mix)? I could feed one MADI Group by BNC but it has to be in a different order (on MADI Stream 1 instead of 3!).

Hopefully there is a solution to this, otherwise we had to change a lot of things in the studio setup :-/

Thanks in any way,
juni

2 (edited by ramses 2021-11-13 16:32:48)

Re: MADIface XT Changing order of MADI Groups

> I'm a happy user of the hdspe MADIfx PCIe Card for many years now but due to a change in systems
> I won't have the PCIe slot anymore. That's why I checked out the USB MADIface XT!

Hi Markus, according to previous postings from you you seem to had a Windows based system.
May I ask what kind of system you have now, that there is no PCIe slot available for such a card.

I don't think it's possible to replace the 3rd MADI bus with MADI optical, because with the HDSPe MADIface FX it was different. The 3rd MADI bus was there implemented as daughter card which was connected to the main card by a ribbon cable. Therefore it was possible to replace the standard MADI BNC card with the HDSPe OPTO-X.

At the moment I can't understand, if you got new PCs, why you simply didn't plan to have at least 1 PCIe socket for such card. If you ware limited by the back of PC case it would even be an option to get an XL case and to move the components to there.

EDIT: when looking into the manual the HDSPe driver had only the option to change the order of multiple cards, but not the order of the MADI busses on one card.

BR Ramses - UFX III, 12Mic, XTC, ADI-2 Pro FS R BE, RayDAT, X10SRi-F, E5-1680v4, Win10Pro22H2, Cub13

HI Ramses,

First of all, thanks for your ultrafast answer!

Actually, we are still using a win10 system but probably going to change the studio environment to apple! Thats why I'm checking the options right now.

I already own a MADIface XT (cause it gives us new mobile otpions aswell) and now I run into the discribed "order-challange".

My hope was there would be an easy option/fix to change the MADI busses maybe on a software basis!?

Thanks again, Markus

4 (edited by ramses 2021-11-13 17:38:38)

How about a Sonnet thunderbolt extension case ? With such an extension case you should be able to use the HDSPe MADI FX even on an Apple laptop.

See here: https://www.sonnettech.com/product/thun … stems.html

You need to check for at least 1 PCIe slot and the possibility to add 2 more cards (not connected to PCIe).

Could be the case that you need this case, to have more room for the cards and to be on the safe side.
Or ask Sonnet whats the cheapest case that can hold the HDSPe MADI FX.

BR Ramses - UFX III, 12Mic, XTC, ADI-2 Pro FS R BE, RayDAT, X10SRi-F, E5-1680v4, Win10Pro22H2, Cub13

I can confirm, that such an expansion case works super great on a 2019 intel MacBook pro and also on a new M1 Max MacBook pro. For both devices I used those two (also for my Madi FX card):
https://www.sonnettech.com/product/echo … rview.html
https://www.akitio.com/expansion/node-duo (currently in use on M1 max)