Topic: [Solved] FW400 loopback using ADAT channels

I'm quite new to the loopback feature on Totalmix. I can loopback the hardware analog outputs which is great. The RME tutorial on loopback suggests I make use of  ADAT channels as a loopback devices. Is that possible even without any additional ADAT hardware attached? I tried it but I get no signal into Live from any of the ADAT channels. Am I missing something?

Re: [Solved] FW400 loopback using ADAT channels

In submix mode click to one of the ADAT channels and create a submix for this channel by moving faders of hw inputs and sw playback channels. Activate loopback on that ADAT output and you can record this submix on the corresponding HW input.

BR Ramses - UFX III, 12Mic, XTC, ADI-2 Pro FS R BE, RayDAT, X10SRi-F, E5-1680v4, Win10Pro22H2, Cub13

Hi Ramses, yes I tried that but it only works if I use one of the analog channels which limits things a bit. Activating loopback on the spdif or ADAT channels and raising the output fader I see the signal metering on the output but no signal reaches the corresponding input in my DAW (ableton live) I use Totalmix on a macbook pro running Catalina.
My Firewire 400 is pretty old but I have the latest firmware and driver installed.

Strange, should work.

BR Ramses - UFX III, 12Mic, XTC, ADI-2 Pro FS R BE, RayDAT, X10SRi-F, E5-1680v4, Win10Pro22H2, Cub13

5 (edited by nburge 2021-11-19 20:44:53)

Am I supposed to connect the ADAT out to ADAT in with a physical cable?
The loopback only works on analog outputs 1-6. analog 7&8 phones are also non-functional).

6 (edited by waedi 2021-11-19 20:46:01)

nburge wrote:

Am I supposed to connect the ADAT out to ADAT in with a physical cable?

No.
The Loopback button on the output channel in Totalmix is the right thing.

Have you activated (selected) the input channels in the Ableton preferences (I assume there must be some preferences for that.)?
By default most DAWS have only input 1/2 active.
and also a track has to be armed for recording and the input channel must be selected. Then you should see the signal.

M1-Sequoia, Madiface Pro, Digiface USB, Babyface silver and blue

Yes, I've done that. Also tried other DAWs like Reaper and also Pure Data. Maybe my Fireface is too old? Was this a feature added at a later date?

SOLVED. In the Fireface settings program I had disabled the SPDIF and ADAT tracks. (bottom left, "limit bandwidth") Resetting that to "all channels" reinstated the playback SPDIF and ADAT tracks I needed for loopback purposes. smile