Topic: UCX II - Newbie Input/Output Question - TS/TRS

I’ve got a UCX II on back order but reading the manual raised a couple questions.

The manual indicates the analog inputs/outputs are TRS. Since there isn’t a dedicated monitor output does that mean I can connect each of my 1/4” monitor cables to two of the outputs and pair them together in the mixer creating one stereo signal? 

By the same token the inputs are also listed as TRS and I have several pieces of stereo gear I want to connect to the UCX II. I’m guessing I need Y cables that have 2-1/4” TS male connectors on one end with the other end being 1-1/4” TRS male? But if I wanted I could use 2-1/4” TS cables and pair them in this mixer as one input channel?

Probably sounds like a newbie question but I’m coming from an ancient interface with dedicated L/R inputs/outputs.

MacBook Pro Max M1
32GB Ram, 2TB HD
UCX II & 802 FS via OWC Thunderbolt dock.
DAW - Logic

2 (edited by ramses 2021-11-21 07:30:43)

Re: UCX II - Newbie Input/Output Question - TS/TRS

You can connect your monitor to any output.
Then assign the outputs to the control room (assign button).

I put together some information in my blog which will be helpful. After that reading of the manual will be easier as you understand then the basic principles of operation.

Proposed steps for 1st installation: https://www.tonstudio-forum.de/blog/ind … rnal-equi/

RME Tutorial videos, very nice to the point without wasting time: https://www.tonstudio-forum.de/blog/ind … al-Videos/

BR Ramses - UFX III, 12Mic, XTC, ADI-2 Pro FS R BE, RayDAT, X10SRi-F, E5-1680v4, Win10Pro22H2, Cub13

In Totalmix you can set the channel in mono or stere mode and you can assign any output whether it's analog or digital to be your main out, speaker B or phones output.

ramses wrote:

I put together some information in my blog which will be helpful. After that reading of the manual will be easier as you understand then the basic principles of operation.

Proposed steps for 1st installation: https://www.tonstudio-forum.de/blog/ind … rnal-equi/

RME Tutorial videos, very nice to the point without wasting time: https://www.tonstudio-forum.de/blog/ind … al-Videos/

Good grief…that’s the mother load of info. Thanks so much!

Does anyone ever connect their monitors left/right into one of those double female 1/4” TS cables with single TRS 1/4” male so you only using one output jack for both monitors? Or does that degrade the signal too much?

MacBook Pro Max M1
32GB Ram, 2TB HD
DAW - Logic

chrysalis99 wrote:
ramses wrote:

Good grief…that’s the mother load of info. Thanks so much!

Does anyone ever connect their monitors left/right into one of those double female 1/4” TS cables with single TRS 1/4” male so you only using one output jack for both monitors? Or does that degrade the signal too much?

Can you please make this easier to understand. To what HW outputs of the UCX II you want to connect what device ?

BR Ramses - UFX III, 12Mic, XTC, ADI-2 Pro FS R BE, RayDAT, X10SRi-F, E5-1680v4, Win10Pro22H2, Cub13

Sorry…two speakers connecting to one cable and using just one output of the UCXII. Like this one.

https://www.sweetwater.com/store/detail … tsf-6-inch

MacBook Pro Max M1
32GB Ram, 2TB HD
DAW - Logic

7 (edited by ramses 2021-11-21 10:57:01)

No this is not possible. A balanced connection does not carry a stereo signal, it's still a mono signal, but simply more resistent against noise and supports higher signal levels to be able to use longer cables in studios and alike.

https://www.boxcast.com/blog/balanced-v … difference

All the analog I/O connectors are MONO, balanced, TRS connections (+/- and ground) Except channel 7/8 phones out which is TRS stereo like any other headphone jack (L/R and ground). So if your stereo gear has TS(or RCA) out you will have to follow the wiring example in the manual.

For monitoring I bought a pair off 3 meter TRS to XLR cables to get a balanced signal to my amp. These are just wired point to point. I use channel 1/2 as main out, but that could be any digital or analog output channels. Versatility is just extreme with this box big_smile You can control in TMfx as a single stereo fader or separate into two mono channels with their own fader, EQ etc.

If the UCXII where a lot bigger box, as a design choice, you wouldnt have any TRS I/O connectors but probably XLR instead. The TRS connectors are space saving way for balanced connection.

So the way I read your questions your Y-cable example doesnt apply because UCXII inputs are mono TRS. Except phones out which could be split into two separate channels. You would need an Y-cable here.

ADI-2 DAC, ADI-2 PRO, DigifaceUSB, UCXII, ARC, HEGEL.h80, KEF.ls50, HD650, ie400pro _,.\''/.,_

Thank you, that’s what I needed. Any hardware suggestions for adding outputs to the UCXII?

MacBook Pro Max M1
32GB Ram, 2TB HD
DAW - Logic

10 (edited by ramses 2021-11-21 11:27:17)

Please be a little bit more specific.
How many and for what purpose ? Balanced, unbalanced, phones ?

Happy_amateur wrote:

All the analog I/O connectors are MONO, balanced, TRS connections (+/- and ground) Except channel 7/8 phones out which is TRS stereo like any other headphone jack (L/R and ground). So if your stereo gear has TS(or RCA) out you will have to follow the wiring example in the manual.

For monitoring I bought a pair off 3 meter TRS to XLR cables to get a balanced signal to my amp. These are just wired point to point. I use channel 1/2 as main out, but that could be any digital or analog output channels. Versatility is just extreme with this box big_smile You can control in TMfx as a single stereo fader or separate into two mono channels with their own fader, EQ etc.

If the UCXII where a lot bigger box, as a design choice, you wouldnt have any TRS I/O connectors but probably XLR instead. The TRS connectors are space saving way for balanced connection.

So the way I read your questions your Y-cable example doesnt apply because UCXII inputs are mono TRS. Except phones out which could be split into two separate channels. You would need an Y-cable here.

Yes, you nailed it. I was getting sidetracked on the TRS cable and associating it with STEREO. Then thinking I could combine the TS MONOS into that Y STEREO cable and get STEREO from one output. I now see the TRS cables are MONO so every piece of hardware I want to feed a STEREO signal to takes up two jacks on the UCXII. Bottom line, I need more outputs.

MacBook Pro Max M1
32GB Ram, 2TB HD
DAW - Logic

Therefor the unit is equipped with adat connectors where you hook up an adat converter, RME ADI8-QS for example.

M1-Sequoia, Madiface Pro, Digiface USB, Babyface silver and blue

ramses wrote:

Not phones but I want more balanced analog outputs.

MacBook Pro Max M1
32GB Ram, 2TB HD
DAW - Logic

14 (edited by ramses 2021-11-21 12:17:19)

chrysalis99 wrote:
ramses wrote:

Do you intend to connect devices with different reference levels (e.g. +24 dBu, +19 dBu, +13 dBu, +4.2 dBu).
Or is it sufficient to you to set all analog ports to one reference level at once, e.g. +4.2 dBu or +13dBu ?

If you do not know simply name the devices, which you want to connect to the balanced outputs.

What is your budget for that ?

ramses wrote:
chrysalis99 wrote:
ramses wrote:

Do you intend to connect devices with different reference levels (e.g. +24 dBu, +19 dBu, +13 dBu, +4.2 dBu).
Or is it sufficient to you to set all analog ports to one reference level at once, e.g. +4.2 dBu or +13dBu ?

If you do not know simply name the devices, which you want to connect to the balanced outputs.

What is your budget for that ?

My budget is flexible but I sometimes like to use guitar processors as my audio interface. I have a Boss GT1000 and Helix rack unit. I don’t see anything indicating dbu in the Helix manual except says nominal 0. The Boss says -8 to +10. I don’t know how I would need to set port levels. I was thinking using outputs from UCX to the guitar processors but I have 4 speakers I need to connect so only leaves 2 other outputs.

MacBook Pro Max M1
32GB Ram, 2TB HD
DAW - Logic

You will have 4 more analog output channels if you butcher the phones out. This is there youll need the Y-cable. You can connect phones-out to the monitors.

Like Waedi said you could get an adat converter like RME ADI8-QS. You would get 8 more analog out. All controllable from the UCXII TMfx mixer. Nice box that ADI8 wish I needed one, and could afford it big_smile

ADI-2 DAC, ADI-2 PRO, DigifaceUSB, UCXII, ARC, HEGEL.h80, KEF.ls50, HD650, ie400pro _,.\''/.,_

I don’t want to butcher the phones but if I could get just 2 more outs that would probably suffice. I don’t really need 8 more but it would be nice smile

Maybe just keep cable swapping or move up to the UFXII but they’re out of stock for a while I think. The ADI 2 might work?

MacBook Pro Max M1
32GB Ram, 2TB HD
DAW - Logic

The ADI2 will give you 2 channels in, 2 out, plus an extra phones out. Doesnt rob the bank either smile

19 (edited by chrysalis99 2021-11-22 23:00:13)

I ordered the ADI2. It should serve the purpose and was in stock. I’m also told the UCXII is supposedly in stock this week. We’ll see. Tough time to be buying hardware.

Thanks for all the feedback. Much appreciated

MacBook Pro Max M1
32GB Ram, 2TB HD
DAW - Logic