1 (edited by grgppsc 2021-10-31 02:27:57)

Topic: ADI-2 DAC PCB version differences

https://i.postimg.cc/CKP3WV1p/V3.jpg

https://i.postimg.cc/13HhrF1t/V4.jpg

https://i.postimg.cc/gkPSm9sh/ESS-patch.jpg

Hi there,

I'm a proud owner of a new AK4493EQ unit (S/N 59840347 B) and I'd like to know more about the PCB versions/revisions inside. I'd be glad if Mr. MC could tell me something, based upon the S/N provided...

The last photo (provided by RME in one of their YouTube videos) doesn't show it's version/revision but I suppose we're looking at an ESS DAC. My main concern would be that "unnatural" wire around the DAC chip. Without questioning RME's pristine engineering abilities, it's somehow obvious that an unexpected result occurred while a PCB layout rewriting was too late or cost prohibitive. I'm aware that many manufacturers are using this minor issue patching method but some of us would prefer not to have it in their expensive top notch gear...

Thanks!

Re: ADI-2 DAC PCB version differences

https://i.postimg.cc/wjHYNVPZ/V1.jpg

https://i.postimg.cc/hGtFyGK0/V2.jpg

...AK4490EQ versions above...

3 (edited by aroom 2021-10-30 21:35:03)

you shouldn't share the serial number of anything you own online.

Hmm!

While we're Sharing, can we please have your Banking Information?  :;

Bottom Line, and Revision Whatever.    If it says 'RME" on the unit?   Then?  There's nothing more to be concerned with.

Vintage 2018 ADI-2 DAC. "Classic AKM4490 Edition"
Cables:  Red, and White Ones.
Speakers:  Yes

There is an unnatural wire in your DAC..!?

ADI-2 DAC, ADI-2 PRO, DigifaceUSB, UCXII, ARC, HEGEL.h80, KEF.ls50, HD650, ie400pro _,.\''/.,_

grgppsc wrote:

My main concern would be that "unnatural" wire around the DAC chip. Without questioning RME's pristine engineering abilities, it's somehow obvious that an unexpected result occurred while a PCB layout rewriting was too late or cost prohibitive. I'm aware that many manufacturers are using this minor issue patching method but some of us would prefer not to have it in their expensive top notch gear...

Not that it really matters (the bridge cable doesn’t hurt).

The video might well show an earlier, non series production, development stage of the board, or a board that was fixed for a broken trace.

7 (edited by Johannes AU 2021-10-31 11:41:12)

KaiS wrote:
grgppsc wrote:

My main concern would be that "unnatural" wire around the DAC chip. Without questioning RME's pristine engineering abilities, it's somehow obvious that an unexpected result occurred while a PCB layout rewriting was too late or cost prohibitive. I'm aware that many manufacturers are using this minor issue patching method but some of us would prefer not to have it in their expensive top notch gear...

Not that it really matters (the bridge cable doesn’t hurt).

The video might well show an earlier, non series production, development stage of the board, or a board that was fixed for a broken trace.

Yes, even if a bridge cable at the production model it dosen't hurt, circuit board are conductors too.

Pacifist, dumb, not stupid
Listen music out from a box which sounds
Reading words on paper/ screen

https://youtu.be/43kkU49sRLo

Go to 5:57...

9 (edited by ramses 2021-10-31 12:04:27)

The most important thing is that the device meets the specifications and technical data.

As long as it doesn't look like that, I wouldn't let my hair grow gray because of it wink
https://de-academic.com/pictures/dewiki … t_1977.jpg

BR Ramses - UFX III, 12Mic, XTC, ADI-2 Pro FS R BE, RayDAT, X10SRi-F, E5-1680v4, Win10Pro22H2, Cub13

KaiS wrote:

I also have seen it in several professional or domestic machines (like MOTU or SONY for example) and it can also be a prototype shown in this video but it doesn't stop me wonder or be annoyed by it...

It would be nice to have a "letter C at the end of the S/N owner", with expired warranty (if possible), interested enough to open the unit and share a picture to complete our collection smile

https://i.postimg.cc/90VgkTTQ/ESS-patch-zoom.jpg

Zooming and sharpening the image a bit reveals that manual soldering techniques and equipment must have been outstanding! One end of the wire catches even two of those micro tiny SMDs smile

....Until we have new relevant inside pictures of missing PCB versions of this DAC (retail editions, with or without patch wires), we may notice another visible difference between revisions (other than DAC chips and surroundings) - the 10th relay present in V4's and presumably V5's (first ESS edition or not) output stage. As you can see, the PCB imprint is also present in the previous versions but not populated. I wonder how the unit differs in functionality and if there are benefits or downsides?

https://i.postimg.cc/ZqP3p9D5/ESS-patch-v.jpg

https://i.postimg.cc/V6DCZxwy/V4.jpg

https://i.postimg.cc/zBJhjJ9S/V3.jpg

https://i.postimg.cc/5yyFhs9X/V2.jpg

https://i.postimg.cc/tJcVpF72/V1.jpg

I'm a new user here granted, so not familiar with RME's revision patterns, but if it works, what difference does it make what revision the board is, and if there is a jumper cable? Either it works, or it doesn't, in which case they'd take care of it under warranty methinks?

15 (edited by grgppsc 2021-11-23 04:37:53)

mwilson wrote:

I'm a new user here granted, so not familiar with RME's revision patterns, but if it works, what difference does it make what revision the board is, and if there is a jumper cable? Either it works, or it doesn't, in which case they'd take care of it under warranty methinks?

In my opinion, a clear/neat inside appearance is also a good selling point for this kind of devices. All the pictures you see in this thread are taken from the internet, so others do care about this! It might work for you but not for us all. Maybe it's a matter of preference...

A good example of openness/honesty/transparency that just crossed my mind is Dynaudio, which had some imperfect (hard to observe) veneers in Special Forty, but they've informed customers through retailers and B quality stickers. The speakers met all technical measurements/requirements but the price was lower....

When I bought my first ADI-2 DAC, neither me nor the retailer knew it was an ESS, as it's intendedly not written on the box and they're advertising AKM! It's an awkward position for them also...

Underlining that I like my actual product, I'm also asking them: Why are you hiding stuff? Why should we search the internet before buying?

Dunno, for what it is, and how much it costs, not expecting Côtes de Genève finish on the inside. Nor obsessing over hypotheticals. Works? Check! Doesnt? RMA to RME.

mwilson wrote:

Dunno, for what it is, and how much it costs, not expecting Côtes de Genève finish on the inside. Nor obsessing over hypotheticals. Works? Check! Doesnt? RMA to RME.

It's a democracy, you know? We really can have different views! If this would be such a nonsense, you might ignore it, right...? Thanks!

I was strictly expressing my opinion. To me this is an inexpensive product and not worth obsessing over. Note I said inexpensive, not cheap. It sounds fantastic and its feature set is second to none.

To you it's hand-wringing material, so it's a democracy, I know.

I doubted if my parents are perfectly created me or not, even I am 61 years old, should I open my belly to see if my intestine is in proper shape and connection...?  Oh no, six years ago I had problem with my appendix and removed, where I can claim....?

This thread now hits the same fate as on ASR before...

Note: below posts have been transferred from the model versions thread to keep that one readable. Unfortunately the forum software can not list the posts in the correct date order after such an action.

Regards
Matthias Carstens
RME

KaiS wrote:
jamca wrote:

... the adi 2fs is one of the best dacs i have heard, and the best all in one unit i have ever had. It is just a little odd a wire out of nowhere, that' s why all the conversation...

The following comes from decades of practically repairing audio and pro audio stuff:

I’ve never seen a jumper wire - that’s what it’s called - fail.
Neither have I seen it become “sticky” or anything else adverse.

And I’ve seen myriads of the, in the early days they were common part of the design, everywhere.

Helpful info, thanks a lot...

KaiS wrote:
jamca wrote:

... the adi 2fs is one of the best dacs i have heard, and the best all in one unit i have ever had. It is just a little odd a wire out of nowhere, that' s why all the conversation...

The following comes from decades of practically repairing audio and pro audio stuff:

And I’ve seen myriads of the, in the early days they were common part of the design, everywhere.

It seems that it that this specific wire was not part of the design from the beginning but it was a quick fix for supporting ess chip. There is a later ess version without this wire and with a proper pcb design. It seems that in order of not stopping production there was a kind of quality reduction. If the wire was not a faulty solution they would not have fixed it in the latest pcb version...There is a thread at ASR forum with photos that proves it (some photos i shoot them by myself).

23 (edited by ramses 2021-11-21 21:44:32)

jamca wrote:
KaiS wrote:
jamca wrote:

It seems that it that this specific wire was not part of the design from the beginning but it was a quick fix for supporting ess chip. There is a later ess version without this wire and with a proper pcb design. It seems that in order of not stopping production there was a kind of quality reduction. If the wire was not a faulty solution they would not have fixed it in the latest pcb version...There is a thread at ASR forum with photos that proves it (some photos i shoot them by myself).

Good evening. You talk about a reduction in quality. What is this supposed to consist of and can you provide any evidence for it? As long as the devices achieve the measured and documented data, I don't think you can speak of any issue.

BR Ramses - UFX III, 12Mic, XTC, ADI-2 Pro FS R BE, RayDAT, X10SRi-F, E5-1680v4, Win10Pro22H2, Cub13

ramses wrote:
jamca wrote:
KaiS wrote:

Good evening. You talk about a reduction in quality. What is this supposed to consist of and can you provide any evidence for it? As long as the devices achieve the measured and documented data, I don't think you can speak of any issue.

There is evidence, it is the strange wire it did not exist before. But there is no proof… we need to have comparative measurements for that. However if it was ok they would not have fixed it again in later versions, as in new ess version the wire disappears again… It makes me doubt about it, and a device for such money and from a such good company should not leave background for second thoughts and doubts.

25 (edited by KaiS 2021-11-22 09:50:20)

jamca wrote:
ramses wrote:
jamca wrote:

There is evidence, it is the strange wire it did not exist before. But there is no proof… we need to have comparative measurements for that. However if it was ok they would not have fixed it again in later versions, as in new ess version the wire disappears again… It makes me doubt about it, and a device for such money and from a such good company should not leave background for second thoughts and doubts.

You think of this wire as a fault, but it’s not, the contrary is true.

No matter what exactly happened, be it a manufacture fix or an anticipated update / improvement:
the wire is there to make your unit fulfill or exceed the claimed spec’s, else it would not have been delivered.

Read manual page 99:
”RME reserves the right to change specifications at any time without notice.”

- usually to the better in case of RME smile

26 (edited by Johannes AU 2021-11-22 14:45:44)

EVEN IF the wire is for the modification for ESS chip from old pcb stock, it is not a bad thing at all, first, RME study it completely and decided the move, second, it is good that nothing was wasted.

I never peep into the case or watch it with an borescope.... I just do not care....

I have the adi 2 fs ess sabre version, and i have some questions about the PCB implementation. Now it seems that there is a weird cable manually soldered on the pcb, which is kinda weird and ''doesn't feel'' correct method, compared the well done implementation of other stuff in there...
1/ Is this soldered cable reducing its durability? (many cables tends to get sticky after time, especially at high temperatures)
2/ Is this some kind of manufacturing patch? Will it be changed in the future? And if yes what about as that have this version?
3/ Should anyone worry of construction quality degrade generally, as this specific wire ''seems'' to be one. 

I have the need to say thanks to MC and RME team as they seem to be really honest about their products, as by themselves told about the dac changes, showing the new PCB. However it is a quite expensive device, many of us where saving money for a long time in order to afford it, and we need assurance about its quality. I hope @MC will answer my questions and talk a little more about the PCB changes.

Thanks, and sorry for my English...

I think you got all the answers that you need already on the ASR forum. I will not further comment on it,

Regards
Matthias Carstens
RME

MC wrote:

I think you got all the answers that you need already on the ASR forum. I will not further comment on it,

At ASR site i only got ''opinions'' from forum's members. Neither of these opinions could have the weight and importance of your reply. It is not a matter of debate, i am honestly talking. It is just a matter of rigid answers that reassure everything is ok.
So as not to be misunderstood, the adi 2fs is one of the best dacs i have heard, and the best all in one unit i have ever had. It is just a little odd a wire out of nowhere, that' s why all the conversation... 
   Of course it is your right not to continue the subject if you don't want or think it is not needed. I am sorry if you felt annoyed. It was not that my intention...

Quote : “I think you got all the answers that you need already on the ASR forum. I will not further comment on it.”

Quote : “it is your right not to continue the subject if you don't want or think it is not needed.”

There are two rules in life.

1. Never give out all the information.

31 (edited by KaiS 2021-11-17 22:03:27)

jamca wrote:

32 (edited by CrispyChips 2021-11-22 14:52:25)

Quote: “There is evidence, it is the strange wire it did not exist before.”

With all due respect, that is complete nonsense, absolute tosh!

There is no evidence such a wire results in a reduction of audio quality.

On the contrary, it is evidence of highly responsive continuous improvement.

All excellent manufacturers, at some time or another implement a fix if one is required.

Re-designing, re-tooling, re-programming computer-controlled manufacturing, often requires bringing in the expertise of outside consultants, most often, the actual manufacturers of the large manufacturing plant tool itself.

Sometimes this is done in house by a manufacturer’s own experts, probably this was I am fairly sure, but that is not always the case. Therefore, implementing a solution can involve time, effort, personnel, travel arrangements, accommodation to be found, and the expense of all this has to be bought off, okayed by the finance dept.

In the interim, providing a temporary solution, maintaining quality, adhering to a programme of continuous product development and improvement, is the absolutely optimal, immmeadiate pathway and best solution for manufacturers and consumers alike.

There are times, I must confess, in my own experience of manufacturing companies, when we have shut down entire plant buildings (these would be easily ten times the size of the manufacturing plant that produce RME products), to stop production entirely, in just one of many such buildings (costing many millions in lost production) in order to fix a serious problem. (In one case, because of a fire).

Sometimes bringing an entire manufacturing plant to a grinding halt for a few days (or much longer). But this would only be done in the most serious of cases, and cost tens of millions in lost production in the industries that I have had an interest in and been directly connected with. This is why, all companies issue disclaimers such as: ”RME reserves the right to change specifications at any time without notice.”

It provides manufacturers with the required latitude to provide a genuine solution and implement it as quickly as possible. Providing legally recognised authority to enact product necessary modifications.

Therefore, its far more sensible, justifiable and legally correct to utilise pragmatically reasonable, pure common sense and provide an efficiently practicable business solution, to solve an unforeseen issue that keeps manufacturing plants open, people in work and perfectly good, quality products being delivered, to waiting customers.

Implementing change within an existing production environment can be challengingly difficult, demanding, time consuming and expensive.

To argue by implication, that plants should be closed, production ceased, people put out of work and measurable proof provided to satisfy individual doubt.

Is an entirely lost cause, a wholly fallacious argument no reasonable person would ever support and with respect, the type of argument only a troll would engage in.

jamca wrote:
MC wrote:

At ASR site i only got ''opinions'' from forum's members. Neither of these opinions could have the weight and importance of your reply. It is not a matter of debate, i am honestly talking. It is just a matter of rigid answers that reassure everything is ok.
So as not to be misunderstood, the adi 2fs is one of the best dacs i have heard, and the best all in one unit i have ever had. It is just a little odd a wire out of nowhere, that' s why all the conversation... 
   Of course it is your right not to continue the subject if you don't want or think it is not needed. I am sorry if you felt annoyed. It was not that my intention...

Your underlined script means better enjoy the music with it, restrain yourself from annoying by yourself.

34 (edited by ramses 2021-11-22 16:10:02)

CrispyChips wrote:

Quote: “There is evidence, it is the strange wire it did not exist before.”

With all due respect, that is complete nonsense, absolute tosh!

There is no evidence such a wire results in a reduction of audio quality.

On the contrary, it is evidence of highly responsive continuous improvement.

All excellent manufacturers, at some time or another implement a fix if one is required.

Re-designing, re-tooling, re-programming computer-controlled manufacturing, often requires bringing in the expertise of outside consultants, most often, the actual manufacturers of the large manufacturing plant tool itself.

Sometimes this is done in house by a manufacturer’s own experts, probably this was I am fairly sure, but that is not always the case. Therefore, implementing a solution can involve time, effort, personnel, travel arrangements, accommodation to be found, and the expense of all this has to be bought off, okayed by the finance dept.

In the interim, providing a temporary solution, maintaining quality, adhering to a programme of continuous product development and improvement, is the absolutely optimal, immmeadiate pathway and best solution for manufacturers and consumers alike.
[...]

It provides manufacturers with the required latitude to provide a genuine solution and implement it as quickly as possible. Providing legally recognised authority to enact product necessary modifications.

Therefore, its far more sensible, justifiable and legally correct to utilise pragmatically reasonable, pure common sense and provide an efficiently practicable business solution, to solve an unforeseen issue that keeps manufacturing plants open, people in work and perfectly good, quality products being delivered, to waiting customers.

[...]

Is an entirely lost cause, a wholly fallacious argument no reasonable person would ever support and with respect, the type of argument only a troll would engage in.

Yup, I also know from friends who designed PCBs, that such patches are sometimes required, sometimes you see it still here and there. Nothing tragic. And maybe in this case maybe only a connection to logically trigger something or something completely uncritical in the digital domain. And even if this would be in the analog domain .. as long as this has been provided in quality without altering the sound or the overall quality of the product, well ... then there is no issue as you say and I could think of. that this has been carefully planned and tested by RME before implementing it.

And I wonder why the question did not came up yet, whether this is at least an audiophile patch cable ;-) ;-)

Quote: “I wonder why the question did not came up yet, whether this is at least an audiophile patch cable?”

The answer is clear.

If RME manufacturing implemented the cable, it will undoubtedly be audiophile.

No question about it!  This is quite obviously, the reason why the question had not been asked.

There’s another matter though, that is worthy of reflection.

A while back a member of the RME forum, informed me they had ordered an expensive, boutique, designer guitar amplifier.

This was surprising to me as the particular member involved has a great love of food, to the degree, that I am amazed given what he probably spends on cooking ingredients, he has remaining finances to purchase an additional, expensive amplifier!

However, perusing the manual of that amplifier, it states: “To be specific, the (****) is built using a layout scheme I’m calling “handwired board”, which I believe to be an ideal construction method to extract the best tone from any circuit design. It has great advantages in terms of component placement, wiring length, and wire routing, and has a real, tangible effect on the sound and feel of an amp.”

Whilst I personally don’t adhere to any marketing hype whatever, (being completely immunised to marketing hype and salesman talk), and am happy to use amps with PCB boards, hand wired amps, or indeed amps featuring military grade PCB boards, fitted with eyelets.

There is something very well worth considering here, very relevant to this discussion.
Because, guitarists are willing to pay a thousand pounds extra for a guitar amplifier, simply because it features hand wiring.

Personally, I don’t hear any genuinely qualitative sonic difference between amplifiers that utilise these differing methods of wiring layout.

To me, the real advantage of such hand wired amplifiers, is that they are extremely easy to fault find, and far easier to effect repairs upon, compared to most PCB boards.

I know the food loving gentleman I referred to earlier, also owns a powerful Marshall tube amplifier head. (I knew the late Jim Marshall who would visit from time to time).

Yet despite the ubiquitous popularity of Jim Marshall’s amps, many rock groups chose to use Hi-Watt amplifiers, that were basically the same amplifiers but with a different badge.

Why?

Because the Hi-Watt amplifiers featured military grade PCB boards with eyelets and could thus be repaired comparatively easily.

As people may be aware, the original iterations of most such amplifiers featured simple component layout boards, (most tube guitar amplifiers are based upon long standing, well understood, popular designs, at times adding further modifications and features), utilising eyelets for easy soldering, simple fault finding and easy repair.

Therefore, hand wiring in one scenario, is seen as highly desirable.

With consumers typically willing to pay, an extra thousand pounds simply for that aspect.

Whilst within this thread, a particular instance of hand wiring appears to have caused a singular individual, palpable grief.

As if such a wire is the end of the world.

Utterly ridiculous!

36 (edited by Johannes AU 2021-11-22 18:24:06)

I did read a bit the same topic at ASR forum.... waves of questions there, first, someone found the wire at the RME video presented by MC, then challenge it, another member said no wire at the C version, that brought up another wave of discussion that the one with wire is a patched pcb ..... and then praise the DAC here to get a candy like a 3 years old kid .... But they have no guts to open the case to check every detail they doubted... may be to protect the resell value or with another reason?

I will second it, Utterly ridiculous!

I wonder, those worried about this small wire is not reliable, are their mains distribution at home is busbar or pcb not wires?

P.S. I am a NON-BELIVER of audiophile cable .....

jamca wrote:
ramses wrote:
jamca wrote:

Will you scold RME for not perfect at the first place if a new firmware released?