1 (edited by KH7 2021-11-27 12:48:35)

Topic: Sporadic Pops and Clicks - UFX II

Hello, so - I've recently encountered an issue that I can't seem to solve and wanted to voice it here to see if anyone else has encountered this before. I haven't been able to replicate it yet and there doesn't seem to be a pattern which is the worst part of troubleshooting this.

The issue is I sporadically get pops and clicks that happen anywhere from 9 minutes apart to 30 minutes apart if not longer.

Testing:

Using: Windows 10, Cubase 9, UFX II, Sonarworks, Audio Technica ATH M50X

I've ensured that the UFX is plugged into a USB 2 port and still the pops and clicks persist.

I've changed the buffer size to 512 in MADIface. Still persists.

I've changed the battery setting in Windows to 100% at min and max as per another post I found here on this topic.

I also use Sonarworks occasionally and have the systemwide version running usually. I've found that the pops and clicks persist with and without it running. (Leads me to think Windows, UFX, or Headphones are at fault)

I have run tests recording in Cubase and have found that the pops and clicks do not appear in recordings. (rules out UFX II as you'd expect the pops and clicks to be present - leads me to Windows or Headphones)

I've tested the UFX II with another device (Surface Pro 7) and there are still pops and clicks

The pops and clicks don't seem to be visible in TotalMix though I'm not certain of this as I haven't been able to catch it yet (leads me to believe the headphones are at fault)

I've used the headphones without the UFX via 3.5mm Jack into a phone for an extended period and there are no pops and clicks. This makes me think that the headphones aren't at fault and that it may be the Headphone Outs on the UFX. (both tested and same issue in each)

Can anyone offer any advice? I think the next test is to try some other headphones but at this time these are my only pair (they've served me well, I didn't think to buy any more pairs before now and I wanted to learn one pair well instead of building a collection.) I'm really hoping it isn't my UFX but wanted to ask here just in case there was anything else I could try before I go and buy another pair of headphones.

Look forward to hearing from you guys and thanks in advance.

2 (edited by ramses 2022-08-21 21:29:41)

Re: Sporadic Pops and Clicks - UFX II

Pops and clicks are a result of audio not being processed in time, which can have different reasons.

Processing of audio has real-time processing requirements. But macOS and Windows are no real-time operating systems.
The execution of low-level routines (execution of drivers) may not be interrupted by the process scheduler.
The driver runs as long as “coded into the driver” to ensure data integrity. How long is simply regulated by “programming conventions”, but there are always good coded and bad coded drivers. Some manufacturers even tend to let the driver run a little longer because this is positive for, e.g., winning benchmarks. But this is counterproductive for executing audio tasks with real-time requirements.

With a computer for audio processing, it is like with a formula 1 racing car. Your car might have 1000 PS, but you need to bring the power to the asphalt, to get optimum performance. Additionally, audio projects can be extremely diverse. Size, number of VST/VSTi, number of tracks, low latency requirements when playing VSTi, CPU hungry VST/VSTi, sample rate requirements, number of inserts in a track. Some tasks can be parallelized a lot and benefit from many CPU cores, but some DAW cannot utilize really many cores. And some tasks need high single thread performance because, e.g., many inserts in a track will usually be processed by one CPU core and this all needs to happen “in time”.

If you have a turnkey system which has already been optimized for audio, then typically all is fine.
But if you got simply a PC, even if it is a benchmark winner it can be, that it doesn't run as well for tasks that have strong real-time performance requirements. For a benchmark, it is not critical when data has been processed, and you can simply parallelize the load across many CPU cores. For audio, it's different.

On the internet, you will find information about how to optimize your PC for audio … The goals of all these settings go all into one direction:
— reduce the amount of unnecessary interrupts / execution of low-level routines / execution of not needed background tasks
— disable any form of energy saving in the CPU to lower DPC latencies
— to have an agile system that can immediately react to an audio workload without any delay before the execution starts
— find out which drivers block a CPU core for too long and replace them with better drivers, or even get another Hardware.

With the tool LatencyMon, you can investigate whether your PC is suitable for handling audio and find out which drivers are blocking a CPU core for too long.

In the BIOS, you need to remove energy saving settings.

On Windows, you have to use the most performant energy profile, disable selective power saving for USB in the advanced energy settings. You also have to ensure to disable CPU core parking, which also increases DPC latencies and makes the system less agile. The best energy profile you can get is Ultimate Power that is in use in Windows Workstation versions. Google for that you can enable this profile with a powercfg command also in other Windows distributions.

A summary of things to check for you can find in this posting. Here you got upfront information, why it is like it is and why an audio driver alone (RME driver) can not “save the world”. For ideal results it also needs a good system (HW, driver, good settings).

Here is a list of things to check for …
https://forum.rme-audio.de/viewtopic.ph … 75#p178375

Easier is to get a tested turnkey system for audio. It's more expensive, but it can save you a lot of time.

BR Ramses - UFX III, 12Mic, XTC, ADI-2 Pro FS R BE, RayDAT, X10SRi-F, E5-1680v4, Win10Pro22H2, Cub13

3 (edited by KH7 2021-11-27 14:25:38)

Hi Ramses,

So I've run LatencyMon and the results as 86 / 610 / 178 / 646 / 2998 at the time I took a screenshot. I should mention that it's not really an issue in Cubase as it doesn't show up on recordings just on playback and when using my computer in other non-audio production activities.

I should also mention that for the longest time my setup has been running flawlessly with no errors of this kind - it just seemingly started out of the blue. I recently updated windows for one thing so not sure if it's that this current build of Windows 10 has issues. I also recently moved and the issue seemed to start ever since then.

I'll work through your suggestions but I feel that they may be a bit above the problem at hand. Also, a bit above my own head if I'm being honest.

Some checks:

- For UFX II: did you try already all USB2 / USB3 Ports on your system ? Yes
- What are the LatencyMon results for your system if you run LatencyMon for 10 minutes on a freshly booted and otherwise IDLE system without any network / application load? https://www.resplendence.com/latencymon See Above
- Do you see any CRC settings in the RME driver setting when having pops ? Keep this window open. Apologies, unclear how to answer this one
- How long is your USB2 cable? Cable that came with the UFX II

Gathering more detailed information:

What CPU, mainboard/chipset, graphic card is in use? Any of the new hybrid CPUs ? Intel 6700k, GPU 1070, Asus Mobo Z170P
Have you installed all recent Windows 11 upgrades ? No, system incompatible with Windows 11 but recent Windows 10 Update installed
Which Windows 11 version and build do you use ? Here Windows 11 Pro 21H2, build: 22000.318 21H2
Which RME driver and firmware version is in use (don't tell "the latest", real version numbers please). 0.9.736.0
Here: MADIface driver 0.9736 with USB HW revision 54 and UFX+ firmware version 46. as above

About the audio workload

Which audio application has the pops ? Streaming Services
Is a DAW in use, which one and which version ? DAW not at fault but Cubase 9 was used to see if pops and clicks affected recording
Does audio playback happen through ASIO or through WDM driver ? ASIO
What is the CPU load in this case ? N/A
How is the ASIO load ? N/A
What sample rate do you use ? 44100Hz
What are the settings for the ASIO buffersize in the driver, do the pops become lesser with higher settings, eg 512 at 44.1 kHz ? No noticeable difference - same as other settings
Is MMCSS enabled or disabled in the RME ASIO driver, does it make a difference to activate/deactivate ? Not sure

About the DAW project (if applicable)

Any CPU hungry VST/VSTi in use ? No
Many tracks, many inserts in a track ? None
Is the DAW and are the VST/VSTi confirmed to run on Win11 ? N/A
Did you make sure to use the RME ASIO driver in the DAW ? N/A

Any potentially blocking drivers? High Interrupt load / context switch load

Is WiFi or Bluetooth enabled ? Yes, for Mouse connectivity
Are you accessing the LAN / the internet when these pops / clicks happen ? Yes, Constantly Accessing

Which Windows performance tuning for audio happened so far ? Tested briefly in this area but unfamiliar with this form of tuning

Did you perform the usual performance tuning to disable energy saving on your system
- BIOS: disabling of C-/P-/T-States, C1E Unsure of how to do so
- BIOS: does a fix CPU clock help (disabling of EIST and maybe additionally TURBO) Unsure of how to do so
  [usually EIST and Turbe can be kept enabled and then parametrize clock in Windows by using high energy profile and additionally disable CPU core parking ]
- Windows: if Desktop system: disabling of CPU core parking (Bitsum: parkcontrol tool, https://bitsum.com/parkcontrol/) Will try later
- Windows: selection of at least high performance energy profile and disable selective USB energy saving in the advanced settings ? Done
- Windows: if Desktop system: did you try ultimate performance power plan ? https://allthings.how/how-to-enable-ult … indows-11/, needs also disabling of selective USB energy saving in the advanced settings. Done
- Windows: did you try to priotize system for background applications Not as Yet

Update:

Just Checked LatencyMon and the readings are now 77 / 2130 / 605 / 646 / 14526

the second result has changed the top text to read that my "system will have issues" now. pops and clicks did occur between now and then so I think it is a software problem and not a "hardware problem" ie headphones

5 (edited by ramses 2022-08-21 21:31:12)

What value do these numbers (e.g., 77 / 2130 / 605 / 646 / 14526) represent?
Interrupt to user process latency in microseconds?

LatencyMon alarms if I remember right when these values are over 1000 microseconds, which is 1ms, which is a lot of time for a computer. 14526 microseconds and even 2130 is much too high.

In that case, you need to check in the Drivers Tab of LatencyMon, which drivers have the highest execution times.
Ideal would be to post the complete log of a 10-min session.
LatencyMon creates already a DAW load, you should make the measurements on a fresh rebooted and otherwise IDLE system. Login to your computer, wait 1-3 minutes until CPU load decreases to near zero. Then you can start the tool and do nothing during measuring.

CRC errors … in the RME driver settings dialog. Keep it open and there is a CRC counter. This check runs only if the driver setting is open. Didn't you read the manual, it's documented there, and you can search the manual for the term “CRC”?

Network access can cause many interrupts, if other driver perhaps also create many DPC's, then it can be the case, that your machine cannot process audio in time. In that case, the best thing to do is, to increase the ASIO buffer size to higher values than 512, maybe even 1024 or 2048, or you need to fix the computer… Higher ASIO buffer sizes workaround the root cause, but sometimes not entirely.

Wi-Fi and Bluetooth are known that they can create issues.
Mouse and keyboard I would connect cabled for this reason.
And instead of Wi-Fi, I would use a LAN cable, as network accesses through LAN are much more efficient.

BR Ramses - UFX III, 12Mic, XTC, ADI-2 Pro FS R BE, RayDAT, X10SRi-F, E5-1680v4, Win10Pro22H2, Cub13

6 (edited by KH7 2021-11-27 17:19:40)

Sorry, I should have probably posted a screenshot. They are the readings in LatencyMon from top to bottom. Indeed, the second set of readings I got, alarm bells did indeed ring indicating an issue.

Noted, will do this test when I'm next able - I'm afraid the window to do so now has closed as I'm away from my computer this weekend.

Ahh thank you, will have another check when I next can but I'm afraid this is hard to catch with how sporadic the errors are. Does it store errors? In which case I'll keep it open and check in when I next hear pops and clicks. I'm afraid I didn't in this instance - also don't have the manual to hand atm as it's with the things yet to move with me.

I'll also try higher buffer sizes when I next can.

Mouse is BT but keyboard is wired and also I connect via Ethernet for internet connection. Sorry I didn't make that clear.

If you suspend updates does this still happen? I tend to suspend when I know I’m doing anything that really matters and then turn updates back on and let it update when I’m not using the pc. I rarely have problems but if I gave its when my pc has t been running long and it’s updating virus definitions and other updates.

Also do a search on pc optimisation for audio although time filter so your not going years back. There are plenty of things that can be done. I’m using Cubase and run buffers at 64 all the ti e without problems but mine is a pc built for audio and not a laptop which seem to be the worse for problems.

Babyface Pro Fs, Behringer ADA8200, win 10/11 PCs, Cubase/Wavelab, Adam A7X monitors.

Hi mkok,

Thanks for your suggestion, I haven't tried that yet . Same here really, this is the first time since owning my UFX that I've encountered an issue I haven't been able to solve from reading around or figuring it out myself.

Will do, I've never really had to do optimisation to get the performance I needed but it can't hurt to improve things. I usually run a lower buffer also but changed it to 512 as per some suggestions. Same again however it wasn't really spec'ed out for audio more just a gaming PC that fulfilled the criteria. I am however building a PC for exclusively audio so maybe this is fortunate timing as I'll most likely want to optimise it.

KH7 wrote:

Hi mkok,

Thanks for your suggestion, I haven't tried that yet . Same here really, this is the first time since owning my UFX that I've encountered an issue I haven't been able to solve from reading around or figuring it out myself.

Will do, I've never really had to do optimisation to get the performance I needed but it can't hurt to improve things. I usually run a lower buffer also but changed it to 512 as per some suggestions. Same again however it wasn't really spec'ed out for audio more just a gaming PC that fulfilled the criteria. I am however building a PC for exclusively audio so maybe this is fortunate timing as I'll most likely want to optimise it.

I’d be tempted to buy a pc from someone like SCAN. They do the component testing and audio checks as well as not being overpriced. I also use cclcomputers who make machines for audio. I used to build my own but for not a lot more and a guarantee it seemed silly. Good luck though with whatever you do.

Babyface Pro Fs, Behringer ADA8200, win 10/11 PCs, Cubase/Wavelab, Adam A7X monitors.

Hi Ramses,

Sorry for the delay - as you said I have started with a fresh boot and waited 3 minutes before only starting LatencyMon. I then ran the test for 10 minutes and got these results. I watched as it was going and there was a major spike around 8 minutes in. The final results as at 10 minutes are as follows:

_________________________________________________________________________________________________________
CONCLUSION
_________________________________________________________________________________________________________
Your system appears to be suitable for handling real-time audio and other tasks without dropouts.
LatencyMon has been analyzing your system for  0:10:00  (h:mm:ss) on all processors.

SYSTEM INFORMATION
Computer name:                                        DESKTOP-55EIUV5
OS version:                                           Windows 10, 10.0, version 2009, build: 19042 (x64)
Hardware:                                             7200-5198B, ZOOSTORM
BIOS:                                                 3805
CPU:                                                  GenuineIntel Intel(R) Core(TM) i7-6700K CPU @ 4.00GHz
Logical processors:                                   8
Processor groups:                                     1
Processor group size:                                 8
RAM:                                                  16325 MB total

CPU SPEED
Reported CPU speed (WMI):                             4001 MHz
Reported CPU speed (registry):                        4008 MHz

Note: reported execution times may be calculated based on a fixed reported CPU speed. Disable variable speed settings like Intel Speed Step and AMD Cool N Quiet in the BIOS setup for more accurate results.

MEASURED INTERRUPT TO USER PROCESS LATENCIES
The interrupt to process latency reflects the measured interval that a usermode process needed to respond to a hardware request from the moment the interrupt service routine started execution. This includes the scheduling and execution of a DPC routine, the signaling of an event and the waking up of a usermode thread from an idle wait state in response to that event.

Highest measured interrupt to process latency (µs):   615.90
Average measured interrupt to process latency (µs):   4.534358

Highest measured interrupt to DPC latency (µs):       318.40
Average measured interrupt to DPC latency (µs):       1.338041

REPORTED ISRs
Interrupt service routines are routines installed by the OS and device drivers that execute in response to a hardware interrupt signal.

Highest ISR routine execution time (µs):              368.108034
Driver with highest ISR routine execution time:       dxgkrnl.sys - DirectX Graphics Kernel, Microsoft Corporation

Highest reported total ISR routine time (%):          0.010820
Driver with highest ISR total time:                   dxgkrnl.sys - DirectX Graphics Kernel, Microsoft Corporation

Total time spent in ISRs (%)                          0.020390

ISR count (execution time <250 µs):                   400138
ISR count (execution time 250-500 µs):                0
ISR count (execution time 500-1000 µs):               2
ISR count (execution time 1000-2000 µs):              0
ISR count (execution time 2000-4000 µs):              0
ISR count (execution time >=4000 µs):                 0

REPORTED DPCs
DPC routines are part of the interrupt servicing dispatch mechanism and disable the possibility for a process to utilize the CPU while it is interrupted until the DPC has finished execution.

Highest DPC routine execution time (µs):              712.494012
Driver with highest DPC routine execution time:       Wdf01000.sys - Kernel Mode Driver Framework Runtime, Microsoft Corporation

Highest reported total DPC routine time (%):          0.193188
Driver with highest DPC total execution time:         Wdf01000.sys - Kernel Mode Driver Framework Runtime, Microsoft Corporation

Total time spent in DPCs (%)                          0.227909

DPC count (execution time <250 µs):                   909521
DPC count (execution time 250-500 µs):                0
DPC count (execution time 500-10000 µs):              15
DPC count (execution time 1000-2000 µs):              0
DPC count (execution time 2000-4000 µs):              0
DPC count (execution time >=4000 µs):                 0

REPORTED HARD PAGEFAULTS
Hard pagefaults are events that get triggered by making use of virtual memory that is not resident in RAM but backed by a memory mapped file on disk. The process of resolving the hard pagefault requires reading in the memory from disk while the process is interrupted and blocked from execution.

NOTE: some processes were hit by hard pagefaults. If these were programs producing audio, they are likely to interrupt the audio stream resulting in dropouts, clicks and pops. Check the Processes tab to see which programs were hit.

Process with highest pagefault count:                 svchost.exe

Total number of hard pagefaults                       7895
Hard pagefault count of hardest hit process:          1426
Number of processes hit:                              55

PER CPU DATA
CPU 0 Interrupt cycle time (s):                       17.493264
CPU 0 ISR highest execution time (µs):                368.108034
CPU 0 ISR total execution time (s):                   0.976833
CPU 0 ISR count:                                      399189
CPU 0 DPC highest execution time (µs):                712.494012
CPU 0 DPC total execution time (s):                   10.815177
CPU 0 DPC count:                                      884219
CPU 1 Interrupt cycle time (s):                       4.724138
CPU 1 ISR highest execution time (µs):                72.999002
CPU 1 ISR total execution time (s):                   0.002207
CPU 1 ISR count:                                      951
CPU 1 DPC highest execution time (µs):                133.291667
CPU 1 DPC total execution time (s):                   0.028597
CPU 1 DPC count:                                      2507
CPU 2 Interrupt cycle time (s):                       3.603784
CPU 2 ISR highest execution time (µs):                0.0
CPU 2 ISR total execution time (s):                   0.0
CPU 2 ISR count:                                      0
CPU 2 DPC highest execution time (µs):                88.463323
CPU 2 DPC total execution time (s):                   0.025715
CPU 2 DPC count:                                      5283
CPU 3 Interrupt cycle time (s):                       5.454481
CPU 3 ISR highest execution time (µs):                0.0
CPU 3 ISR total execution time (s):                   0.0
CPU 3 ISR count:                                      0
CPU 3 DPC highest execution time (µs):                42.711327
CPU 3 DPC total execution time (s):                   0.006628
CPU 3 DPC count:                                      2122
CPU 4 Interrupt cycle time (s):                       3.344126
CPU 4 ISR highest execution time (µs):                0.0
CPU 4 ISR total execution time (s):                   0.0
CPU 4 ISR count:                                      0
CPU 4 DPC highest execution time (µs):                115.824850
CPU 4 DPC total execution time (s):                   0.036055
CPU 4 DPC count:                                      7929
CPU 5 Interrupt cycle time (s):                       5.373870
CPU 5 ISR highest execution time (µs):                0.0
CPU 5 ISR total execution time (s):                   0.0
CPU 5 ISR count:                                      0
CPU 5 DPC highest execution time (µs):                56.862774
CPU 5 DPC total execution time (s):                   0.002517
CPU 5 DPC count:                                      1062
CPU 6 Interrupt cycle time (s):                       2.933881
CPU 6 ISR highest execution time (µs):                0.0
CPU 6 ISR total execution time (s):                   0.0
CPU 6 ISR count:                                      0
CPU 6 DPC highest execution time (µs):                108.569361
CPU 6 DPC total execution time (s):                   0.026326
CPU 6 DPC count:                                      5581
CPU 7 Interrupt cycle time (s):                       5.380284
CPU 7 ISR highest execution time (µs):                0.0
CPU 7 ISR total execution time (s):                   0.0
CPU 7 ISR count:                                      0
CPU 7 DPC highest execution time (µs):                38.526447
CPU 7 DPC total execution time (s):                   0.002023
CPU 7 DPC count:                                      833

In the Driver Section I reviewed the Drivers that have the higher execution times:

Driver File: Wdf01000.sys
Description: Kernel Mode Driver Framework Runtime
ISR Count: 378726
DPC Count: 377521
Highest Execution: 0.712494
Total Execution: 9675.252301
Image Base: 0xFFFFF807'119A0000
Image Size: 856064
Company: Microsoft Corporation
Product: Microsoft® Windows® Operating System
Version: 1.31.19041.1151
Path: C:\WINDOWS\system32\drivers\wdf01000.sys

This was the Highest. It also seems that the other big offenders were also Microsoft and one Nvidia Driver. Maybe it was the most recent Windows updates that introduced these errors.

I also ran Madiface for 10 minutes and got 0 crc5/16 err / 10.0 Min in that time. This was running with the same buffer size as before of 512 Samples.

Hope this helps to shed some light. I'm afraid I'm not confident about what to do next so would appreciate your input. I imagine reverting the windows update is in order or waiting for the next Windows update might resolve my issue?

Look forward to hearing from you

Hi mkok,

thank you for the suggestion - I'll look into their builds, I've bought components in the past from Scan so know of them but will investigate further.

CCL I'm less familiar with but I'll equally have a look and weigh up my options smile

Indeed, peace of mind is often worth the price tag that comes with it. I've always wanted to do it but worst case scenario I ruin many £'s worth of components. Certainly wouldn't want that!

Thank you, appreciate it

12 (edited by ramses 2022-08-21 21:31:43)

What energy profile did you use for this LatencyMon test?

LatencyMon values do not look that bad. 700 microseconds are a little high, but still tolerable.
Under load or when accessing the network (-> you use streaming services) it could possibly exceed the threshold of 1ms.
Access through WLAN is more inefficient and can lead to higher interrupt load.
There can also be issues by other radio emitting devices.

Could you kindly repeat the test when using the streaming service, but nothing more? That would be interesting.
Start with a not too low ASIO buffer size of e.g., 128 at 44.1 kHz.
If there are clicks and pops, then increase the ASIO buffer size until the clicks vanish.
If you use WLAN, disable WLAN and repeat the tests using LAN (cabled) and see whether it makes a difference.

Maybe you can get even better results by reviewing system settings.
Deactivating energy saving in the BIOS and on Windows, and by disabling CPU core parking.

Hi Ramses,

I was using Ultimate Performance if you mean my power plan. I've re-run the test for slightly longer using three different sample sizes starting at 128 and working up to 512 each at 44.1kHz. I was using LAN in all instances as I would normally (my computer doesn't have WLAN capability. The mouse is still wireless however as I do not have a wired one to hand.

I think those are things definitely worth a try also, thank you smile

I'll post the reports below separately for clarity.

CONCLUSION
Your system appears to be suitable for handling real-time audio and other tasks without dropouts.
LatencyMon has been analyzing your system for  0:30:00  (h:mm:ss) on all processors.

SYSTEM INFORMATION
OS version:                                           Windows 10, 10.0, version 2009, build: 19042 (x64)
CPU:                                                  GenuineIntel Intel(R) Core(TM) i7-6700K CPU @ 4.00GHz

CPU SPEED

Note: reported execution times may be calculated based on a fixed reported CPU speed. Disable variable speed settings like Intel Speed Step and AMD Cool N Quiet in the BIOS setup for more accurate results.

The interrupt to process latency reflects the measured interval that a usermode process needed to respond to a hardware request from the moment the interrupt service routine started execution. This includes the scheduling and execution of a DPC routine, the signaling of an event and the waking up of a usermode thread from an idle wait state in response to that event.

Highest measured interrupt to process latency (µs):   170.0
Average measured interrupt to process latency (µs):   6.154925

Highest measured interrupt to DPC latency (µs):       144.70
Average measured interrupt to DPC latency (µs):       2.608562

REPORTED ISRs
Interrupt service routines are routines installed by the OS and device drivers that execute in response to a hardware interrupt signal.

Highest ISR routine execution time (µs):              460.898453
Driver with highest ISR routine execution time:       dxgkrnl.sys - DirectX Graphics Kernel, Microsoft Corporation

Highest reported total ISR routine time (%):          0.089797
Driver with highest ISR total time:                   dxgkrnl.sys - DirectX Graphics Kernel, Microsoft Corporation

Total time spent in ISRs (%)                          0.097674

ISR count (execution time <250 µs):                   1619911

REPORTED DPCs
DPC routines are part of the interrupt servicing dispatch mechanism and disable the possibility for a process to utilize the CPU while it is interrupted until the DPC has finished execution.

Highest DPC routine execution time (µs):              603.124002
Driver with highest DPC routine execution time:       nvlddmkm.sys - NVIDIA Windows Kernel Mode Driver, Version 456.71 , NVIDIA Corporation

Highest reported total DPC routine time (%):          0.182589
Driver with highest DPC total execution time:         Wdf01000.sys - Kernel Mode Driver Framework Runtime, Microsoft Corporation

Total time spent in DPCs (%)                          0.255275

DPC count (execution time <250 µs):                   2831204
DPC count (execution time 500-10000 µs):              3

REPORTED HARD PAGEFAULTS
Hard pagefaults are events that get triggered by making use of virtual memory that is not resident in RAM but backed by a memory mapped file on disk. The process of resolving the hard pagefault requires reading in the memory from disk while the process is interrupted and blocked from execution.

NOTE: some processes were hit by hard pagefaults. If these were programs producing audio, they are likely to interrupt the audio stream resulting in dropouts, clicks and pops. Check the Processes tab to see which programs were hit.

Process with highest pagefault count:                 msmpeng.exe

Total number of hard pagefaults                       673
Hard pagefault count of hardest hit process:          423
Number of processes hit:                              22

PER CPU DATA
CPU 0 Interrupt cycle time (s):                       66.697996
CPU 0 ISR highest execution time (µs):                460.898453
CPU 0 ISR total execution time (s):                   13.958757
CPU 0 ISR count:                                      1605674
CPU 0 DPC highest execution time (µs):                603.124002
CPU 0 DPC total execution time (s):                   35.813620
CPU 0 DPC count:                                      2652216
CPU 1 Interrupt cycle time (s):                       2.895044
CPU 1 ISR highest execution time (µs):                123.836826
CPU 1 ISR total execution time (s):                   0.108126
CPU 1 ISR count:                                      14191
CPU 1 DPC highest execution time (µs):                250.596307
CPU 1 DPC total execution time (s):                   0.361655
CPU 1 DPC count:                                      27543
CPU 2 Interrupt cycle time (s):                       4.363638
CPU 2 ISR highest execution time (µs):                4.108034
CPU 2 ISR total execution time (s):                   0.000069
CPU 2 ISR count:                                      48
CPU 2 DPC highest execution time (µs):                139.188373
CPU 2 DPC total execution time (s):                   0.216265
CPU 2 DPC count:                                      48528
CPU 3 Interrupt cycle time (s):                       1.830332
CPU 3 DPC highest execution time (µs):                88.844311
CPU 3 DPC total execution time (s):                   0.024255
CPU 3 DPC count:                                      5303
CPU 4 Interrupt cycle time (s):                       3.823852
CPU 4 DPC highest execution time (µs):                92.650948
CPU 4 DPC total execution time (s):                   0.165273
CPU 4 DPC count:                                      36524
CPU 5 Interrupt cycle time (s):                       1.724412
CPU 5 DPC highest execution time (µs):                40.436128
CPU 5 DPC total execution time (s):                   0.019043
CPU 5 DPC count:                                      4514
CPU 6 Interrupt cycle time (s):                       3.046771
CPU 6 DPC highest execution time (µs):                99.784681
CPU 6 DPC total execution time (s):                   0.143130
CPU 6 DPC count:                                      52040
CPU 7 Interrupt cycle time (s):                       1.955056
CPU 7 DPC highest execution time (µs):                160.777695
CPU 7 DPC total execution time (s):                   0.021208
CPU 7 DPC count:                                      4539

Buffer Size: 128 Samples - 0 crc5/16 err / 30.0

Additional Notes: LatencyMon is much happier (i.e no "your system is unsuitable") and no pops and clicks to speak off.

CONCLUSION
Your system appears to be having trouble handling real-time audio and other tasks. You are likely to experience buffer underruns appearing as drop outs, clicks or pops. One problem may be related to power management, disable CPU throttling settings in Control Panel and BIOS setup. Check for BIOS updates.
LatencyMon has been analyzing your system for  0:30:00  (h:mm:ss) on all processors.

SYSTEM INFORMATION

CPU SPEED

Highest measured interrupt to process latency (µs):   2055.40
Average measured interrupt to process latency (µs):   5.115974

Highest measured interrupt to DPC latency (µs):       2028.20
Average measured interrupt to DPC latency (µs):       1.751162

REPORTED ISRs

Highest ISR routine execution time (µs):              615.395210

Highest reported total ISR routine time (%):          0.078493

Total time spent in ISRs (%)                          0.086078

ISR count (execution time <250 µs):                   1587768

REPORTED DPCs

Highest DPC routine execution time (µs):              491.938373
Driver with highest DPC routine execution time:       Wdf01000.sys - Kernel Mode Driver Framework Runtime, Microsoft Corporation

Highest reported total DPC routine time (%):          0.180292

Total time spent in DPCs (%)                          0.252852

DPC count (execution time <250 µs):                   3496981
DPC count (execution time 500-10000 µs):              3

REPORTED HARD PAGEFAULTS

Process with highest pagefault count:                 svchost.exe

Total number of hard pagefaults                       11427
Hard pagefault count of hardest hit process:          3900
Number of processes hit:                              67

PER CPU DATA
CPU 0 Interrupt cycle time (s):                       69.546767
CPU 0 ISR highest execution time (µs):                615.395210
CPU 0 ISR total execution time (s):                   12.269618
CPU 0 ISR count:                                      1577427
CPU 0 DPC highest execution time (µs):                491.938373
CPU 0 DPC total execution time (s):                   35.564241
CPU 0 DPC count:                                      3324316
CPU 1 Interrupt cycle time (s):                       13.419027
CPU 1 ISR highest execution time (µs):                127.677146
CPU 1 ISR total execution time (s):                   0.130972
CPU 1 ISR count:                                      10343
CPU 1 DPC highest execution time (µs):                184.358283
CPU 1 DPC total execution time (s):                   0.277976
CPU 1 DPC count:                                      31302
CPU 2 Interrupt cycle time (s):                       14.394721
CPU 2 ISR highest execution time (µs):                0.0
CPU 2 ISR total execution time (s):                   0.0
CPU 2 ISR count:                                      0
CPU 2 DPC highest execution time (µs):                185.680140
CPU 2 DPC total execution time (s):                   0.158405
CPU 2 DPC count:                                      30728
CPU 3 Interrupt cycle time (s):                       15.893757
CPU 3 DPC highest execution time (µs):                187.221557
CPU 3 DPC total execution time (s):                   0.047270
CPU 3 DPC count:                                      11812
CPU 4 Interrupt cycle time (s):                       12.094302
CPU 4 DPC highest execution time (µs):                99.751497
CPU 4 DPC total execution time (s):                   0.188107
CPU 4 DPC count:                                      37184
CPU 5 Interrupt cycle time (s):                       15.038375
CPU 5 DPC highest execution time (µs):                48.916667
CPU 5 DPC total execution time (s):                   0.022556
CPU 5 DPC count:                                      6345
CPU 6 Interrupt cycle time (s):                       10.191155
CPU 6 DPC highest execution time (µs):                95.764471
CPU 6 DPC total execution time (s):                   0.139016
CPU 6 DPC count:                                      47901
CPU 7 Interrupt cycle time (s):                       13.807038
CPU 7 DPC highest execution time (µs):                72.733034
CPU 7 DPC total execution time (s):                   0.028844
CPU 7 DPC count:                                      7396

Buffer Size: 256 Samples - 0 crc5/16 err / 30.0

Additional Notes: Though there was a high "Highest measured interrupt to process latency" at this buffer size no pops and cracks were heard. I believe there still to be a problem though, just a problem I would have been otherwise unaware of.

CONCLUSION

SYSTEM INFORMATION

CPU SPEED

Highest measured interrupt to process latency (µs):   187.70
Average measured interrupt to process latency (µs):   6.838327

Highest measured interrupt to DPC latency (µs):       181.50
Average measured interrupt to DPC latency (µs):       3.053346

REPORTED ISRs

Highest ISR routine execution time (µs):              608.876497

Highest reported total ISR routine time (%):          0.118506

Total time spent in ISRs (%)                          0.126977

ISR count (execution time <250 µs):                   1864571

REPORTED DPCs

Highest DPC routine execution time (µs):              634.087824

Highest reported total DPC routine time (%):          0.191596

Total time spent in DPCs (%)                          0.287985

DPC count (execution time <250 µs):                   3494137
DPC count (execution time 500-10000 µs):              13

REPORTED HARD PAGEFAULTS

Process with highest pagefault count:                 msmpeng.exe

Total number of hard pagefaults                       488
Hard pagefault count of hardest hit process:          358
Number of processes hit:                              16

PER CPU DATA
CPU 0 Interrupt cycle time (s):                       76.010599
CPU 0 ISR highest execution time (µs):                608.876497
CPU 0 ISR total execution time (s):                   18.089298
CPU 0 ISR count:                                      1816954
CPU 0 DPC highest execution time (µs):                634.087824
CPU 0 DPC total execution time (s):                   39.740771
CPU 0 DPC count:                                      3291138
CPU 1 Interrupt cycle time (s):                       4.922175
CPU 1 ISR highest execution time (µs):                144.382485
CPU 1 ISR total execution time (s):                   0.202503
CPU 1 ISR count:                                      47615
CPU 1 DPC highest execution time (µs):                220.197106
CPU 1 DPC total execution time (s):                   1.253209
CPU 1 DPC count:                                      82573
CPU 2 Interrupt cycle time (s):                       4.635065
CPU 2 ISR highest execution time (µs):                2.033184
CPU 2 ISR total execution time (s):                   0.000006
CPU 2 ISR count:                                      4
CPU 2 DPC highest execution time (µs):                181.142465
CPU 2 DPC total execution time (s):                   0.233138
CPU 2 DPC count:                                      59516
CPU 3 Interrupt cycle time (s):                       2.115606
CPU 3 DPC highest execution time (µs):                59.605289
CPU 3 DPC total execution time (s):                   0.016616
CPU 3 DPC count:                                      3788
CPU 4 Interrupt cycle time (s):                       4.151539
CPU 4 DPC highest execution time (µs):                162.815619
CPU 4 DPC total execution time (s):                   0.136056
CPU 4 DPC count:                                      33152
CPU 5 Interrupt cycle time (s):                       2.027706
CPU 5 DPC highest execution time (µs):                42.745010
CPU 5 DPC total execution time (s):                   0.019781
CPU 5 DPC count:                                      4598
CPU 6 Interrupt cycle time (s):                       2.971165
CPU 6 DPC highest execution time (µs):                49.213822
CPU 6 DPC total execution time (s):                   0.064009
CPU 6 DPC count:                                      14849
CPU 7 Interrupt cycle time (s):                       2.241484
CPU 7 DPC highest execution time (µs):                51.850798
CPU 7 DPC total execution time (s):                   0.022525
CPU 7 DPC count:                                      4536

Buffer Size: 512 Samples - 0 crc5/16 err / 30.0

Additional Notes: Pops and clicks return though no indication that they might from LatencyMon perspective

17 (edited by ramses 2021-11-30 20:35:25)

Remaining problems could be nVidia card related...

In this thread you can get some advice to fine tune your nVidia card.
https://forums.steinberg.net/t/8-18-cor … tup/103725

PowerMizer Switch (*) - https://nvworld.ru/utilities/pmswitch/
Download Link vor v 1.2: https://nvworld.ru/files/downloads/util … Switch.zip

Tool to disable nvidia telemetry (didn't work for me, if I remember right I disabled it already)
https://github.com/NateShoffner/Disable … -Telemetry
Otherwise you can try also this in combination with the "autoruns" tool from Windows Sysinternals, which shows you all programs that are being started automatically, see TAB "scheduled tasks" there:
https://www.ghacks.net/2016/11/07/nvidi … -tracking/

With the "power mizer" switch, a tool from a russian guy, energy saving on the nVidia card is being disabled.
Requires a reboot!
I also changed the settings in the nVidia driver as proposed in the posting on Steinberg Forum:
Nvidia Control Tool:
Energymanagement: Prefer maximum performance
Threaded Optimization: ON
V-Sync: OFF

After that the resulting interrupt to process latency dropped down on my system significantly from around 130-150 microseconds to 24-40 peaks under / around 100 microseconds.

I can confirm now after measuring energy consumption of my system with Fritz!DECT 200, that the energy consumtion of my system didn't change much, seems uncritical to turn nVidia energy saving off.

https://www.dropbox.com/s/n7ra5wtco4nvz99/2021-11-30%20nVidia%20RTX%202070%20SUPER%20-%20disabe%20power%20saving.jpg?dl=1

If you want to observe CPU and GPU temperatures, then I can recommend you:

8GadgetPack https://8gadgetpack.net/ and then
some less colorful gadgets from https://orbmu2k.de/
These gadgets are a little bit older and a few things do not work, but I do not need to see the system clock.
More important for me is for CPU, to see CPU consumption and heat by core and memory consumption.
And to see the memory load and temperature of the GPU .. blower speed would have been nice, but the tool is too old to detect it for my card.

https://www.dropbox.com/s/lfz65ia6z6tqrfu/2021-11-30%2012_01_55-Gadgets.jpg?dl=1

EDIT:

18 (edited by ramses 2021-11-30 21:04:44)

Here my LatencyMon results for comparison (runtime: 11:12)

Intel Xeon E5-1650v4, Supermicro X10SRi-F, 32 GB DRAM
Energy Profile: Ultimate Performance
Connected to LAN: Gigabit

PCIe cards:
- MSI GeForce RTX 2070 SUPER Gaming X Trio, 8GB GDDR6, nVidia Studio Driver 472.47
   nVidia Powermizer: energy saving switched off
   nVidia Settings: energy settings: prefer max performance, threaded optimization on, vsync off
- Sonnet Allegro Pro USB3.0 PCIe (FL1100): for UFX+ and ADI-2 Pro
- StarTech Dual Port USB 3.1 (ASM2142, supports UASP): for two ext backup disks

UFX+, MADIface driver 0.9736, ASIO Buffersize: 512 @44.1

https://www.dropbox.com/s/9wy33x1jo2huk0s/2021-11-30%20LatencyMon-UltimatePerformance-IDLE-Sys-Win10-21H2-.jpg?dl=1

https://www.dropbox.com/s/5npzkokfh278f06/2021-11-30%20LatencyMon-UltimatePerformance-DRIVERS-Win10-21H2-.jpg?dl=1

System state: IDLE, only LatencyMon is running.

____________________________________________________________________________________________
CONCLUSION
____________________________________________________________________________________________
LatencyMon has been analyzing your system for  0:11:12  (h:mm:ss) on all processors.

SYSTEM INFORMATION
Computer name:                                        SUPERMICRO
OS version:                                           Windows 10, 10.0, version 2009, build: 19044 (x64)
Hardware:                                             Super Server, Supermicro
CPU:                                                  GenuineIntel Intel(R) Xeon(R) CPU E5-1650 v4 @ 3.60GHz
Logical processors:                                   12
Processor groups:                                     1
RAM:                                                  32641 MB total

CPU SPEED
Reported CPU speed:                                   360 MHz

Highest measured interrupt to process latency (µs):   306,40
Average measured interrupt to process latency (µs):   2,428333

Highest measured interrupt to DPC latency (µs):       303,30
Average measured interrupt to DPC latency (µs):       0,692843

REPORTED ISRs

Highest ISR routine execution time (µs):              76,818333
Driver with highest ISR routine execution time:       dxgkrnl.sys - DirectX Graphics Kernel, Microsoft Corporation

Highest reported total ISR routine time (%):          0,010887
Driver with highest ISR total time:                   dxgkrnl.sys - DirectX Graphics Kernel, Microsoft Corporation

Total time spent in ISRs (%)                          0,013614

ISR count (execution time <250 µs):                   722925
ISR count (execution time 250-500 µs):                0
ISR count (execution time 500-1000 µs):               0
ISR count (execution time 1000-2000 µs):              0
ISR count (execution time 2000-4000 µs):              0
ISR count (execution time >=4000 µs):                 0

REPORTED DPCs

Highest DPC routine execution time (µs):              167,013333
Driver with highest DPC routine execution time:       dxgkrnl.sys - DirectX Graphics Kernel, Microsoft Corporation

Highest reported total DPC routine time (%):          0,027662
Driver with highest DPC total execution time:         Wdf01000.sys - Kernelmodustreiber-Frameworklaufzeit, Microsoft Corporation

Total time spent in DPCs (%)                          0,055081

DPC count (execution time <250 µs):                   2077919
DPC count (execution time 250-500 µs):                0
DPC count (execution time 500-10000 µs):              0
DPC count (execution time 1000-2000 µs):              0
DPC count (execution time 2000-4000 µs):              0
DPC count (execution time >=4000 µs):                 0

REPORTED HARD PAGEFAULTS

Process with highest pagefault count:                 svchost.exe

Total number of hard pagefaults                       1699
Hard pagefault count of hardest hit process:          505
Number of processes hit:                              19

PER CPU DATA
CPU 0 Interrupt cycle time (s):                       10,433426
CPU 0 ISR highest execution time (µs):                76,818333
CPU 0 ISR total execution time (s):                   1,056537
CPU 0 ISR count:                                      567461
CPU 0 DPC highest execution time (µs):                167,013333
CPU 0 DPC total execution time (s):                   4,266883
CPU 0 DPC count:                                      2048915
CPU 1 Interrupt cycle time (s):                       1,893260
CPU 1 ISR highest execution time (µs):                1,5950
CPU 1 ISR total execution time (s):                   0,000112
CPU 1 ISR count:                                      197
CPU 1 DPC highest execution time (µs):                23,149167
CPU 1 DPC total execution time (s):                   0,001582
CPU 1 DPC count:                                      254
CPU 2 Interrupt cycle time (s):                       2,108909
CPU 2 ISR highest execution time (µs):                0,0
CPU 2 ISR total execution time (s):                   0,0
CPU 2 ISR count:                                      0
CPU 2 DPC highest execution time (µs):                112,161667
CPU 2 DPC total execution time (s):                   0,067787
CPU 2 DPC count:                                      8901
CPU 3 Interrupt cycle time (s):                       2,082170
CPU 3 ISR highest execution time (µs):                0,0
CPU 3 ISR total execution time (s):                   0,0
CPU 3 ISR count:                                      0
CPU 3 DPC highest execution time (µs):                34,1350
CPU 3 DPC total execution time (s):                   0,001524
CPU 3 DPC count:                                      467
CPU 4 Interrupt cycle time (s):                       1,942209
CPU 4 ISR highest execution time (µs):                0,0
CPU 4 ISR total execution time (s):                   0,0
CPU 4 ISR count:                                      0
CPU 4 DPC highest execution time (µs):                42,6950
CPU 4 DPC total execution time (s):                   0,010785
CPU 4 DPC count:                                      2387
CPU 5 Interrupt cycle time (s):                       1,752295
CPU 5 ISR highest execution time (µs):                0,0
CPU 5 ISR total execution time (s):                   0,0
CPU 5 ISR count:                                      0
CPU 5 DPC highest execution time (µs):                32,61750
CPU 5 DPC total execution time (s):                   0,000880
CPU 5 DPC count:                                      215
CPU 6 Interrupt cycle time (s):                       1,95490
CPU 6 ISR highest execution time (µs):                0,0
CPU 6 ISR total execution time (s):                   0,0
CPU 6 ISR count:                                      0
CPU 6 DPC highest execution time (µs):                40,999167
CPU 6 DPC total execution time (s):                   0,008020
CPU 6 DPC count:                                      1690
CPU 7 Interrupt cycle time (s):                       1,854151
CPU 7 ISR highest execution time (µs):                0,0
CPU 7 ISR total execution time (s):                   0,0
CPU 7 ISR count:                                      0
CPU 7 DPC highest execution time (µs):                33,993333
CPU 7 DPC total execution time (s):                   0,002541
CPU 7 DPC count:                                      646
CPU 8 Interrupt cycle time (s):                       1,905435
CPU 8 ISR highest execution time (µs):                0,0
CPU 8 ISR total execution time (s):                   0,0
CPU 8 ISR count:                                      0
CPU 8 DPC highest execution time (µs):                44,445833
CPU 8 DPC total execution time (s):                   0,003590
CPU 8 DPC count:                                      694
CPU 9 Interrupt cycle time (s):                       2,234745
CPU 9 ISR highest execution time (µs):                3,14750
CPU 9 ISR total execution time (s):                   0,008134
CPU 9 ISR count:                                      28017
CPU 9 DPC highest execution time (µs):                51,040833
CPU 9 DPC total execution time (s):                   0,033879
CPU 9 DPC count:                                      6280
CPU 10 Interrupt cycle time (s):                       2,305458
CPU 10 ISR highest execution time (µs):                4,060833
CPU 10 ISR total execution time (s):                   0,033633
CPU 10 ISR count:                                      127250
CPU 10 DPC highest execution time (µs):                43,820
CPU 10 DPC total execution time (s):                   0,040872
CPU 10 DPC count:                                      6539
CPU 11 Interrupt cycle time (s):                       1,964384
CPU 11 ISR highest execution time (µs):                0,0
CPU 11 ISR total execution time (s):                   0,0
CPU 11 ISR count:                                      0
CPU 11 DPC highest execution time (µs):                49,96750
CPU 11 DPC total execution time (s):                   0,005657
CPU 11 DPC count:                                      931

Sorry for the delay - afraid that hasn't solved it either. I tried all the modes on the power mizer switch and best operation is with powermizer off when reviewing in latencymon.

Feeling quite defeated on this one. Is it worth me backing up everything and doing a full system wipe and starting fresh? I'm starting to consider it if it'd fix this problem.

20 (edited by Thermaltake 2021-12-17 06:49:48)

Try flashing if you didn't already latest firmware, and check then out if problem is still there or maybe gone.

21 (edited by ramses 2021-12-17 11:58:13)

When reviewing this thread it appears to me that you might have still missed a few things:

1. to check for usb transport errors the RME settings window. You could also try another shielded USB2 cable. I made good experience with Lindy premium USB cables.

2. What happens if you disable sonarworks ? Could it be that this plugging creates issues here ?

3. Did you flash UFX II with latest firmware?

4.  check your BIOS settings whether everything regarding energy saving has been disabled. You can get a lot of information about that when googling for topics like optimizing pc/windows for audio. Disabling of C States or setting those to C0/1 depending on your BIOS manufacturer and other things.
Here what I did for my system and performance results:

http://www.tonstudio-forum.de/blog/inde … -X10SRi-F/

http://www.tonstudio-forum.de/blog/inde … cks-de-en/

5. Maybe even an update of your mainboards BIOS and to install latest chipset drivers.

6. Did you disable cpu core parking ? Use Bitsums Park control tool.

7. Maybe the use of a separate USB PCIe card. Sonnet builds solid products. There I would try to get an USB3 card with Fresco Logic FL1100 chipset which is also known to work well with UFX+. I would get such an USB3 card because they are backward compatible to USB2. USB2 cards are rare, nobody would buy them, would be a waste of pcie sockets of your mainboard.

8. If this all does not work get a PC which is known to work and optimized for audio. With some mainboards / hw / drivers its tricky up to impossible to get better results.

Hello, reading this thread it appears that your RME system has worked perfectly satisfactorily, for a very long time.

However, you updated Windows 10 and moved house and following these two events, your problems began to appear.

To my way of thinking, this is the smoking gun, in your hand!

Quote “I recently updated windows for one thing so not sure if it's that this current build of Windows 10 has issues. I also recently moved and the issue seemed to start ever since then.”

So, this to me, is the key factor you should be considering.

Is it possible that there may be wiring issues in your new property?

Have used a main tester on all your sockets to ensure they are wired correctly? You’d be surprised how often things aren’t wired as they should be.

Can you get someone to cooperate with you, listening carefully to see if a fridge or a thermostat switching on or off, elsewhere in the house, coincides with the occurrence of the clicking issue you encounter?  Perhaps some other household device is involved? Think about what switches itself on and off from time to time!

Once, many years ago, using a non RME interface I had a digital click problem that was generated by an early Yamaha Clavinova through a MIDI interface.

In those days for convenience, all the keyboards were connected up all the time for audio through an analogue mixer.

Now I connect what I need when I need it. More work, less problems.

I thought it was the computer or recording interface, but it turned out to be a connected device.

Correct diagnosis is half of solving the problem and perhaps rather more. So does your system involve a connected device you could eliminate, simply by complete disconnection?

Quote: “Is it worth me backing up everything and doing a full system wipe and starting fresh?”

Whilst many would see that as being unnecessary, I always partition my computers hard drives, so that a full system wipe can be accomplished very straightforwardly. 

Generally, from hard won experience I take the view that carry over problems and potential unwanted issues are better completely removed from the start, than allowed the possible opportunity to raise their hoary heads, later.

That has worked well for me and the installation of my RME equipment as smooth as silk.

Apart from that, the things our hero helper Ramses has helpfully focussed upon are precisely what occurred to me.

Graphics Card, Wireless Mouse, Computer Motherboard, Computer Configuration. But they don’t seem to have solved the problem. Which is why I have responded in the hope it helps.

Maybe you do need a dedicated/better Music Computer?

However, as the issue started when Windows 10 was updated and you moved home.

I would begin by looking to see if there are any household devices in your property that switch on or off, that are producing a random, unwanted click.

Thanks crispy.
The truth lies always somewhere in between.
For each of us it can be a slightly different story or a combination of issues.
Best example is my current computer.
6 years ago under Windows 7 and without the spectre and meltdown cpu firmware workarounds this was a perfectly stable system (see my 400 tracks test project with around 800 vsts).
Then Microsoft forced me to upgrade to Windows 10. At that time I also upgraded my system with a new better GPU.
At that time I didn't listen/produce music much so I can't even tell why because of what exactly it started. I got every now and then audio glitches. Something like an around 200+ milliseconds "glitch" where audio is completely distorted and not recognizable as audio anymore.
What makes the thing so uneasy to handle/solve is that that this occurs sometimes after around 15 minutes and sometimes after an hour.
And then sometimes issues mix with each other. For example listening to Music using MusicBee Player (which supports use of the ASIO driver) and browsing the Internet.
Only raising the ASIO buffersize would only mask the root course. And as I sometimes want to use virtual amps I have an interest that I get stability again with ASIO buffersizes of 256 largest at single speed.
One key issue I could already iron out. The latest Version of Kaspersky Internet Security.
When this is active then opening a Firefox Bookmark folder with around 64 URLs around photography caused a much higher DPC latency of the nVidia and another driver,  don't remember exactly which one, maybe network.
After using Windows 10 own antivirus/firewall software audio playback through MusicBee (ASIO) became much more stable.
But from time to time still those audio glitches even if I work only in Cubase and not browsing in the Internet.
A few weeks ago I stumbled over this powermizer tool which finally gave more stability.
The only thing which might still be an issue is the "castration" of my CPU by spectre and meltdown although I know that the impact is much lesser under Windows 10. Additionally I upgraded from E5-1650 v3 to v4 CPU which should be a little lesser impacted by spectre meltdown CPU firmware patches.
Still I have the personal feeling that my system is not fully back in best shape where I could nearly instantly running everything with an ASIO buffersize of only 32 samples. Kudos to RME again for their performant and stable firmware and drivers.
I told you to check and consider everything because stability and best performance is always the sum of all single optimizations up to the point where all seems to be stable. But  still a few things carefully done on top of that can give you lesser DPC latencies which might enable you to use lesser ASIO buffersizes in cases where you need to stay below 10ms RTL to be able to play VSTi without noticeable latency.
Not to spoil my time any further on that I decided to use keep it at that acceptable state and to buy a new machine with more powerful cpus which will compensate spectre/meltdown related performance issues better.
Still waiting for DDR5 to become more mature and for a mainboard with a good layout that supports extensions and has Thunderbolt integrated into the chipset to be able to use usb3 or tb depending which works best.
I like Crispy's idea to look for external induced issues by other devices...
Maybe post an example of these audio issues to get a concrete idea how severe it is or whether the noise sounds familiar.
Best wishes and good luck.

Where I talked about antivirus and such stuff ... could this be an issue ? Maybe also scans of files in the background or the Microsoft index service ? Maybe configured to index not only meta data of files but also the content ?
Maybe you should exclude the folder structure with your recordings?
Once all has been indexed it should be no issue though.

Quote: “The truth lies always somewhere in between. For each of us it can be a slightly different story or a combination of issues.”

Quite!

With respect, the truth of what is wrong here, has yet to be determined.

Indeed, every singular problem can be unprecedented, where computer recording issues are concerned.

The truth I found interesting, was the fact that following updating Windows 10 and moving home, the problems first appeared.

That is a key fact of potentially immense significance, that had hitherto not been addressed, so believed it should at last be highlighted and further explored.

It’s certainly true for myself and I think, many other computer users with experience of dealing with them, that one can often develop a fairly accurate hunch, regarding where the problem actually lays.

This is why good doctors, not only ask their patients about their symptoms, but whether they have any thoughts or feelings about what might be underlying and causing the difficulties and surface symptoms they are experiencing?

In doing so, they often receive perspicaciously helpful insights and additional information that can direct and speedily lead the doctor to greater accuracy in diagnosis.

No doubt there are doctors, with vials of pills handily ready, who lamentably never even actually listen properly, to what, is really wrong.

Just as politicians have prepared spiels, delivering messages, utterly disconnected to the actual question, the interviewer asked. smile

Quote: “I recently updated windows for one thing so not sure if it's that this current build of Windows 10 has issues. I also recently moved and the issue seemed to start ever since then.”

Quote: “I'll work through your suggestions but I feel that they may be a bit above the problem at hand.”

There is a theological principal called “The Law of First Mention”.

That the first time a particular word or subject is mentioned gives the simplest and clearest explanation of it.

It seems the original posters initial instinct, was that the problematic issue was caused by something fairly straightforward indeed.

This is why I elucidated extremely straightforward considerations that could be readily contemplated, examined, tested and hopefully a solution implemented. 

As you write.

It may be something far more complex, as is much that has already been considered.

Or indeed, a number of entirely separate, unrelated issues, actively coinciding and interacting intermittently, to produce the unwanted issue.

On the other hand, it may not!

Therefore, it seemed to me that having explored so many different complex alternatives, alas without success.

There was nothing whatever to be lost, in trying the very simplest of solutions.

One company I had “an interest” in, many years back had a production problem that was causing a lot of expense.

They had involved all the company’s departmental engineers, then the engineering consultants who manufactured the plant equipment, and at the point I came to be aware of the problem, it had cost £14,000,000 in lost production.

When questioned, none of the very highly paid, college educated expert engineers had bothered to ask any of the area’s ordinary operatives, about the issue. Not a single one, over months. So, believe me, that’s exactly what happened next.

The first operator asked said “I’ve noticed that just before the whole system shuts itself down, there’s an unusual clunking noise and something happens a bit dramatically to the system, over there.”

Then, led them straight to the source of the problem.

Which when examined and diagnosed, was quickly fixed.

£14,000,000 lost because experts were apparently too proud to lose face, asking individuals for help, they saw as beneath them.

So, I’ve learnt to ask the questions many expert people would feel too simplistic and perhaps, embarrassed to ask.

To listen respectfully and carefully to those closest to a problem, regardless of whoever they are.

Quote: “I recently updated windows for one thing so not sure if it's that this current build of Windows 10 has issues. I also recently moved and the issue seemed to start ever since then.”