Topic: UCX II digital inputs/outputs in TotalMix

Hello,
I want to make an upgrade from my UCX to UCX II, can somebody tell me please about its routing - is it possible to send the different signals to Aes and Spdif and Adat? Also as getting signals from the different inputs simultaneously? If yes - in what combination: 3 different types for input/output (separate signals for Aes/Spdif/Adat) or Adat + Aes or Spdif?
Also is Spdif available only via coaxial or via optical too?
Thanks for any comments!

Re: UCX II digital inputs/outputs in TotalMix

Yes, ADAT, coax SPDIF and AES/EBU may all be used simultaneously and independently - aside from clocking (all digital I/O must use the same clock).

Regards,
Jeff Petersen
Synthax Inc.

3 (edited by ramses 2021-12-03 17:05:54)

Each HW input and SW playback can be routed individually to each of the HW outputs.
Hence the name Submix Mode in TM FX, each HW output has an individual submix.

BR Ramses - UFX III, 12Mic, XTC, ADI-2 Pro FS R BE, RayDAT, X10SRi-F, E5-1680v4, Win10Pro22H2, Cub13

So I can make 2 submixes and send 1 to spdif and 2 to Aes? Great, thanks!

And spdif also can be sent via toslink, right?

6 (edited by ramses 2021-12-03 20:45:16)

In submix mode you click to any HW output you want
(no matter whether mono or stereo, analog or digital or external device connected through ADAT, AES or MADi ...)
then you turn the fader from
- HW inputs to add audio from devices that are directly connected to rec device (to get audio in near-realtime) and
- SW playbacks to add audio comping from the PC (DAW, any other application)
to create the submix for this particular output.
By this you can create wonderful monitor submixes while singing / playing through a backing track from PC which comes from SW playback channels and you can add your connected instrument and/or vocals to the submix for your headphones and you hear vocals as well as instruments without any lag, to put one example.

BR Ramses - UFX III, 12Mic, XTC, ADI-2 Pro FS R BE, RayDAT, X10SRi-F, E5-1680v4, Win10Pro22H2, Cub13

Optical can be either spdif or ADAT. Coaxial can be either spdif or unbalanced AES.

ADI-2 DAC, ADI-2 PRO, DigifaceUSB, UCXII, ARC, HEGEL.h80, KEF.ls50, HD650, ie400pro _,.\''/.,_

I see. So instead of UCX where we have only coaxial Spdif/Aes choice+ADAT now in UCX II we have Aes (XLR balanced)+Spdif/Aes unbalanced coaxial+Spdif/Adat optical. And we can send/receive 3 types of digital signals the same time, right?

Happy_amateur wrote:

Optical can be either spdif or ADAT. Coaxial can be either spdif or unbalanced AES.

Yes, that is correct.

Regards,
Jeff Petersen
Synthax Inc.

They will have to share the same clock so that may put some constrain to it. If U recieve 1 signal you can output to all channels absolutely. With more than one digital input active I think you are in wordclock territory which is an option with UCXII. Someone else can give you a better answers to the implementation of that.

Clock sync is paramount with digital input from multiple sources, not just the same frequenzy, but sync. There can be only one master(clock) as RME so eloquently put it in the manual.

ADI-2 DAC, ADI-2 PRO, DigifaceUSB, UCXII, ARC, HEGEL.h80, KEF.ls50, HD650, ie400pro _,.\''/.,_

Happy_amateur wrote:

They will have to share the same clock so that may put some constrain to it. If U recieve 1 signal you can output to all channels absolutely. With more than one digital input active I think you are in wordclock territory which is an option with UCXII. Someone else can give you a better answers to the implementation of that.

Clock sync is paramount with digital input from multiple sources, not just the same frequenzy, but sync. There can be only one master(clock) as RME so eloquently put it in the manual.

I understand it as I can share my master RME clock to all digital input devices (with the help of Word Clock output), right? Do you mean with 1 input I don't need to do it but with 2-3 digital inputs I need to send the UCX clock with Word Clock output?