1 (edited by SonorDrums 2021-12-03 15:15:29)

Topic: GarageBand (or other DAW) multitrack recording back into Totalmix

Just became a very happy and very satisfied owner of a used UFX interface.
Microfoned my drumset with 7 mics and succesfully recorded in GarageBand multitrack on my Macbook Pro via USB (iot avoid another investment in an expensive DAW to run first tests).

My objectives:
1. modification of drum sound in TotalMix
2. Use TotalMix as mixing  console

Now my questions:
1. How do I get the multitrack Garageband recording (instead of AN1/2 stereo signal) via USB back into TotalMix?
2. What would be a recommended setup as DAW to get multitracks back into TotalMix via USB?

Thanx for any expert advice

UFX + Neumann KH 120a + 7 beyerdynamic drumset mics + MacBook Pro

Re: GarageBand (or other DAW) multitrack recording back into Totalmix

I would t say TotalMix mix is particularly designed for mixing although there is eq, reverb, delay and compression. I would use what is in the DAW. I use the TotalMix effects when recording vocal to give the singer a bit if reverb or delay and on the output with a bit of eq to compensate the room.

Babyface Pro Fs, Behringer ADA8200, win 10/11 PCs, Cubase/Wavelab, Adam A7X monitors.

AFAIK Garageband does not support more than 2 channels playback. Other apps like Auria and Cubasis can do more.

Regards
Matthias Carstens
RME

4 (edited by SonorDrums 2021-12-06 15:13:08)

Thanx for the hints and info which helped me to develop my setup further in the wanted direction.

Last question: What about Reaper? Is this also providing more than 2 playback channels as well?

This would help me to cover my budget limitations and user friendlyness.

Krgds

I don't know why 'GarageBand' made me think of iOS (Cubasis, Auria). On the Mac Reaper can do anything.

Regards
Matthias Carstens
RME

SonorDrums wrote:

Last question: What about Reaper? Is this also providing more than 2 playback channels as well?
Krgds

With Reaper you get up to 64 audio channels per track. Can‘t recommend reaper enough. Learning curve is quite steep, but I wouldn‘t use anything else anymore.

Happy Fireface UFX+, Octamic XTC and M-32 Pro user.
http://www.stoersender-studio.ch

frank.acklin wrote:

With Reaper you get up to 64 audio channels per track. Can‘t recommend reaper enough. Learning curve is quite steep, but I wouldn‘t use anything else anymore.

1. Do I get 64 channels back into TotalMix?

2. What would you recommend for my setup (see footer) being a beginner on this topic, but with electronic/telecommunication engineering backgrond on digitalisation as DAW SW?

Thanx and krgds

8 (edited by waedi 2021-12-07 15:38:45)

The interface has limited channels.
If you have a madi interface then you have 64 software playback channels and those are available to any DAW, Reaper recognize those and offers you to address any track to such channel.
Your interface seems to be the old UFX non-plus, wich is not a madi interface.
There you will not be able to route 64 channels into Totalmix as Totalmix is limited to the channels of the interface.
if you really need 64 channels then you have to lookout for a UFX+ or a Madiface USB.
A Madiface USB would love to be expanded with a 12Mic that gives you plenty of mic inputs for the drums and the whole band.

Reaper is a dream of recording/mixing software, and it makes a lot of fun to learn it with those videos they linked on the Reaper website. Enjoya !

M1-Sonoma, Madiface Pro, Digiface USB, Babyface silver and blue

waedi wrote:

if you really need 64 channels then you have to lookout for a UFX+ or a Madiface USB.
!

Thanx for the advice.

There is at the moment no need to have 64 ch at all. The 8/12 analogue ch are sufficient for the drum set and this is what I want to get back into TM FX to "tweak" the signal more and more to the wanted objective.

SonorDrums wrote:
waedi wrote:

!

Thanx for the advice.

There is at the moment no need to have 64 ch at all. The 8/12 analogue ch are sufficient for the drum set and this is what I want to get back into TM FX to "tweak" the signal more and more to the wanted objective.

Madiface plus 12mic sounds perfect for what you‘re doing, if you have the means.
I still don‘t get why you‘d want to tweak in TotalMix when you can do it in your daw?

I‘m usually a bit hesitant to recommend Reaper as it‘s so complex but also mindboggingly capable. You being a bit of a newcomer is a good thing though - most users coming from other daws seem to have a rough time adapting to the reaper-way of doing things. This might cut your learning-curve as you don‘t have to un-learn your previous daw.

Happy Fireface UFX+, Octamic XTC and M-32 Pro user.
http://www.stoersender-studio.ch

frank.acklin wrote:

Madiface plus 12mic sounds perfect for what you‘re doing, if you have the means.

I do only have FIreface UFX to experiment with. :-(
But it is still more than excellent for what I want to do. :-))