Topic: Babyface Pro FS produces repeated clicks. Can I do a hard reset?

Hi,

my Babyface Pro FS suddenly produces repeated clicks. It does this in all tested configurations. CC/PC-mode etc.

1. Worked perfectly in CC-mode with iPad Pro.
2. Connected Babyface Pro FS to a windows machine with a bit old driver and old firmware.
3. Changed buffer size to 64.
4. Installed and started Sonobus.
5. Now Babyface Pro FS begun to produce clicks.
6. Tested a bunch of different combinations.. pc/ccmode, with/without adapter. Updated rme-driver on the Windows-machine and updated usb-firmware on Babyface Pro FS. Reset all in TotalMix. Changed buffer size etc.

But no luck. Babyface Pro FS now continues to produce clicks.

Any idea how this can happen and how it might be solved?

Thanks!

Re: Babyface Pro FS produces repeated clicks. Can I do a hard reset?

Do you use SPDIF or ADAT input? Clocking is set correctly? Clicks visible in TM FX? What means older firmware? There was no need to downgrade the BF, and I can't believe you did that.

Regards
Matthias Carstens
RME

- Don't use Adat/Spdif at this time. Clocking is set to internal.
- Clicks at 108 bpm, i.e. continuously like a metronome.
- Clicks are visible in som way, not at 108 bpm but more irregular and at different levels, some of them reach red, and the signal shifts between left and right at the meters.. the sound is just like a metronome, in both channels.
- Signals visible in TotalMix when connected.
- The clicks and the BF meters are visible even if just the powercord is connected and both in CC and PC mode (i.e. no usb, no computer, no iPad.).
- Nope, I have not downgraded the BF firmware. But I have mostly used it with an iPad or Mac. And now I connected it to a Windows machine... and when I upgraded the firmware (usb) (after the issue appeared) there was quite a big step in version numbers (I think).

Can you try a different power supply?

Regards
Matthias Carstens
RME

I've tried the power supply from RME, iPad via usb, Mac/windows via usb and iPad power adapter via usb-c split-adapter.

Whatever setting/configuration/mode/power-supply I use, the clicking just continues.

BF worked perfectly.
I connected it to a windows machine (changed buffer size, installed and started Sonobus).
Bf started making noise.

There's no way to do a hard reset?

This is frustrating.
Is there nothing I can do?

This is quite mysterious, but according to your description the unit itself is defective and needs to be checked.

Regards
Matthias Carstens
RME

Okay, thanks!

Very strange indeed!

Update:

- I sent my Babyface Pro back to Thomann (maybe they forwarded it to you guys at RME?).
- Apparently the unit was faulty and non-repairable so I got a replacement (at no cost due to warranty).
- The replacement units serial number is 14 289 LOWER than my pervious BF. Kind of strange, but it seems to work so I'm happy.
- The process took about one month.