Topic: Digiface USB + Mac OS Montery

I'm having weird issues with Digiface USB and MacOs Montery.

Have installed these drivers on my Intel Mac:
https://rme-audio.de/downloads.html#:~: … ac_327.zip

Followed the instructions closely, allowed the kernel (only needed first time, second times I guess it's not needed for reinstallation of drivers), restarted the laptop but nothing is working.

The audio input/output is not showing up under system preferences -> sound, either in Logic.
What's weird is that when I open the "Fireface USB Settings" it opens and closes directly after.

One thing, is it right to use the Fireface drivers even though it's a Digiface USB?

TotalMix wont open either, it opens the application it self, but not the mix window.

It's like something is blocking it, or wrong driver?

Re: Digiface USB + Mac OS Montery

The 327 driver is the one I use on my Macbook Air Monterey and Digiface USB works fine, no issues.
I use a USB cable USB-A to USB-C direct connect to the computer, no hub.

M1-Sequoia, Madiface Pro, Digiface USB, Babyface silver and blue

waedi wrote:

The 327 driver is the one I use on my Macbook Air Monterey and Digiface USB works fine, no issues.
I use a USB cable USB-A to USB-C direct connect to the computer, no hub.

then that's at least right regarding the driver - thanks for info smile.
just wondering why there is issues on my intel mac. it's connected with plain usb cable.

may you check in the system preferences / security / safety privacy if the microphone is allowed to Totalmix ?

5 (edited by soduno 2021-12-10 19:19:58)

waedi wrote:

may you check in the system preferences / security / safety privacy if the microphone is allowed to Totalmix ?

sure. What I discovered is that Totalmix is not in the microphone section, in fact totalmix isn't anywhere in privacy tab hmm

btw. I assume that it's not nessary to follow the disable security stuff on the intel macs?
i have allowed the kernel file under security -> general.

7 (edited by waedi 2021-12-10 19:53:50)

soduno wrote:

sure. What I discovered is that Totalmix is not in the microphone section, in fact totalmix isn't anywhere in privacy tab hmm

Realy ?
https://ibb.co/Y3Q16Lz

soduno wrote:

btw. I assume that it's not nessary to follow the disable security stuff on the intel macs?

I don't know. I wasen't aware Montery can be installed on Intels.

waedi wrote:
soduno wrote:

Realy ?
https://ibb.co/Y3Q16Lz

soduno wrote:

I don't know. I wasen't aware Montery can be installed on Intels.

Unfurtunately, yes.

One note though. I realised that when I plugged the usb cable into my mac it wasn't showing yellow on the digiface device.
I tried to connect it to my windows machine, and there it constantly was yellow. Did update the firmware for the device, connected it to my mac, and now it blinks yellow and then nothing.

Is it simply just not compatible with my mbp from 2015 with montery anymore?
I have used it with Mojave with no issues before...

9 (edited by waedi 2021-12-10 21:52:44)

Mine has firmware v18, driver 3.27, the yellow light is always on, no blinking.
Please check the firmware in the USB Fireface settings in one of your computers.
May you reflash the firmware a few times...
Or your cable is simply broken.

This is a clear case of driver blocking. Remove it, reinstall it, try this one:

https://forum.rme-audio.de/viewtopic.php?id=33277

Regards
Matthias Carstens
RME

11 (edited by soduno 2021-12-12 14:01:33)

MC wrote:

This is a clear case of driver blocking. Remove it, reinstall it, try this one:

https://forum.rme-audio.de/viewtopic.php?id=33277

So far so good. I've managed to follow your steps, and rebuild the index.
Re-installed the driver, and got the allow extention thing for RME, allowed it, and restarted my MBP.

The same thing still appears. I can plug my Digiface into my laptop, yellow light on the digiface appears and stop again.
The cable is not broken, it's working on my windows. But not on the mac. It's flashed to the newest firmware updates (USB 18).

Forgot to mention that it worked perfectly on a Mojave installation before.

What's happening? hmm...

I would try this (again) :
- boot into recovery mode
- open Terminal
- run the kernel extension panic medic boot command by typing:
kmutil trigger-panic-medic --volume-root /Volumes/YOUR_HD_DRIVE_NAME
Default hard drive name is Macintosh HD, where the space has to be omitted. Else use your custom drive name.
This action removes the kext-consent entries. These can now be re-approved after a reboot:
- Reboot into normal mode
- Go to Security&Privacy and allow all items currently not allowed.
- It might be necessary to install the RME driver again to trigger a kext consent entry notice. If you reinstall make sure not to click reboot too early., first finish the driver installation and the Security&Privacy request.

Okay, my mouth is closed... It was the cable. Had no idea.

The cable worked fine several times with both my midi keyboard, and other interfaces on the same intel based mac,
but not on the digiface wihth montery. I changed cable (just for a sanity check), and then it worked flawlessly.
The old cable (which was not working with montery), worked perfectly fine with Windows.

Problem solved. Sorry for an issue which was so basic -.- but thanks for your great advices smile