Topic: UCXII: expanding toughts

Hello, I'm new to this forum so greetings ti everyone.
Finally, after a long wait,  UCX has arrived on my desk, and while I'm enjoying this little jewel, I'm already looking on how can I expand my setup with what I need...

My next step is to build up a bento box with 8 500 series modules (not preamps), connected with my Ucx through adat in/out ferrofish pulse x16 (clocked with a bnc cable with Ucx as master)..

In terms of link and synch the devices, am I doing right till now?

My last question (and sorry for the length of the  post) is:
I chose the ferrofish 16 cause in every thread I checked, Rme and ferrofish are like milk and coffee in terms of compatibility..
But there's 8 more inputs to fill, probably with other 500 modules/pre/analog inserts...
In case I want to go with this route, will digiface usb or hdsp raydat help me sync all my devices?

Summing up:
-8x8 adat on ucx
-16x16 on ferrofish
All into digiface or raydat..
But then I miss how to clock UCX, since I won't have another ADAT slot for the clock...
Also: what's the best between digiface and Hdsp raydat in my situation?
Thanks to anyone who answer my questions..

2 (edited by ramses 2021-12-08 21:19:41)

Re: UCXII: expanding toughts

Not understanding why you didn't consider the combination of UFX+ and Ferrofish via MADI. Then still enough possibilities for expansions through MADI, ADAT and AES.
Additionally excellent transparent mic preamps
and headphone outputs, as well as connectivity to computer through USB3/2 and Thunderbolt. Operational ease by only one instance of TM FX to control UFX+.

BR Ramses - UFX III, 12Mic, XTC, ADI-2 Pro FS R BE, RayDAT, X10SRi-F, E5-1680v4, Win10Pro22H2, Cub13

3 (edited by E885 2021-12-09 13:15:33)

ramses wrote:

Not understanding why you didn't consider the combination of UFX+ and Ferrofish via MADI. Then still enough possibilities for expansions through MADI, ADAT and AES.
Additionally excellent transparent mic preamps
and headphone outputs, as well as connectivity to computer through USB3/2 and Thunderbolt. Operational ease by only one instance of TM FX to control UFX+.

Hello, and thanks for the answer first..
I didn't consider ufx for a single reason: global shortage...
I grabbed ucx II as soon as my main store had in stock, and didn't regret a single moment since I found the interface faboulous for my needs (I record and mix in home on my own, guitar bass and keys, no drum atm)..
Another reason I didn't consider ufx+ was cause I have almost 2 year of span to complete  my gear before getting married, and had to start improving my rig as soon as possible, since I was waiting from August to get my RME interface...

Since I now have the core of my home studio done, I was just theorycrafting on how I can improve my desk with some cool tools, to have an hybrid gear giving a signature to my personal project..
From this dream I decided to post here to gather information on if or how I can connect all the gear I mentioned:

-An 8 I/O 500 series box
- Other 8 I/O (various inserts/pres)
All through the combination of UCX II and ferrofish 16..
Again thank you for your advices in every thread on this forum, but my purchase was the fruit of months of consideration, so that's no in question..
Sincerely, Luciano

Especially because you want to build a solid base now in the next two years...
I see not needed disadvantages in your setup.
If I understood you correctly you want to make a RayDAT or Digiface USB to your main recording interface and connect everything behind it's four ADAT ports.
By this you reduce your UCX II to an 8-channel interface at single speed and you can use even DURec only for at max 8 channels that are being routed through that one ADAT port.
The whole solution is limited to single speed by this.
For the price of the UCX II and a Digiface USB or better (!!) RayDAT you were not far from a much better solution which is UFX+ based.
You would have had DURec for all channels. No channels would go lost by double speed. Your whole setup could support double speed.
Maybe you would have even recognized, that you can easily delay the purchase of the 500-based solution.
If money and time is really that critical then it would have been worth to wait a little bit longer and to invest into an UFX+ which  an satisfy your demands for much longer.

BR Ramses - UFX III, 12Mic, XTC, ADI-2 Pro FS R BE, RayDAT, X10SRi-F, E5-1680v4, Win10Pro22H2, Cub13

ramses wrote:

If I understood you correctly you want to make a RayDAT or Digiface USB to your main recording interface and connect everything behind it's four ADAT ports.

That's my main concern.. I'm not sure how interaction between raydat/digiface with UCX II works.. If i understood right, they have to work as master clock with UCX "declassed" as 8 i/o audio interface to perform, so that's a no go for sure..

This means I have to build my rig with 8 i/o with ferrofish, plus  4 i/o from the back of my UCX, for a total of 12 i/o to connect my future gear (the 4 front inputs cover all my needs for instruments/voice) ...
I think I'll also look in the future for an Adi 2 pro fs connected via aes, for the best audio quality from my monitors..
Do you think this can be a doable solution?

Ferrofish into adat to UCXII, clocked by bnc cable, and Adi 2fs pro into aes to UCXII

Again thanks for your advice..

6 (edited by ramses 2021-12-10 18:00:18)

UCX II as main interface is possible acting also as clock master.
You can connect ADI-2 Pro through AES and learn clock through it's AES input.
Then you have only 1x ADAT i/o on the UCX II remaining.
You can connect a FERROFISH with 1x ADAT, but then you can use only 8 of it's 16 channels which is possible but makes no real sense and there is nothing free for connecting an API-500 lunchbox. And should your quality expectations go so high that you even plan for such a lunchbox, then I think you should have at least the flexibility to be able to record at double speed (88.2/96 kHz). Well but with one ADAT port this results into an even fewer number of channels (4 instead of 8 due to Channel multiplexing for double speed). With Madi you have 64ch at single speed and still 32 at double speed.
Ufx+ has also another advantage that ASIO buffersize can go down to 32 samples if required, the old USB driver for UCX* has 48 samples as minimum. Still enough, but if you should want least RTL in special situations..

I would contact your dealer and tell the situation. I am sure he will understand and take UCX II back if you order an UFX+. Especially as you intend to get a Ferrofish, API-500 lunchbox, the one or other module for it and at a later time maybe even an ADI-2 Pro.
Otherwise sell UCX II. You won't loose much money as it is brand new and we have a bad delivery situation. Keep also in mind that you even get around 75÷ of street price for used RME gear because of the quality and very long driver support.
If I were you I would take the occasion and buy now with the UFX+ a solid foundation for that what you initially wanted. What fully satisfies you now and in the future and which allows to use all expansions fully by having MADI, 2x ADAT and AES. And this in single and double speed. Or where you can make use of the fx section for each of the channels.
Do not make too many compromises now. Later it's much likely that you regret it.

I see your point about the UFX+, the main issue is that if I return my UCXII, I will still stick for months to my scarlett, as UFX is not aivailable to any retail I trust since last summer (that's lot of money we're talking)..

Maybe I wasn't clear about my situation: I'm not planning to record simultaneously more than 2 inputs, and not planning to use in standalone mode..
The reason I want a 500 box is to add some pres/modules to have some colorful option, so if its possible to connect the 8 io from the 500 box to the 8 io from ferrofish, then route those channels from ferrofish via adat to UCXII adat 1-8 io at 44.1 / 48 khz, I'm happy to temporarily sacrifice 8 io from ferrofish, as I'm planning to slowly add module to module without rush, so plenty of time to think what to add..
Madi option is the dream, but I also need to not get a divorce/separation

Maybe in 2023/2024 when/if the stock comes to standards, I'll consider upgrading to the big one

9 (edited by ramses 2021-12-11 07:00:56)

Aren't the analog inputs of the UCX II sufficient, if you intend to use only a few channels / lunchbox modules?! When using analog inputs of UCX II you also wouldn't loose any channel no matter which sample rate you choose.

An option for you is to get a lunchbox with ADAT support from cranborne. More expensive but you wouldn't need the Ferrofish and are possibly even getting better AD converter on it compared to the Ferrofish.

https://www.thomann.de/de/cranborne_aud … ref=mobile

Never tought about the cranborne ADAT box, with this i'll no longer need an extra audio interface, and I'll save some bucks! Also I have 4 i/o from the back of the UCX for extra inserts, and expanding would be less tedious..
Still not intrigued by the sum mix option by Cranborne adat, will dig into that...
In the meantime I would like to thank you again for the advices!

12 (edited by ramses 2021-12-15 15:57:34)

There are two cranberry devices, one with USB audio and one without (Cranborne Audio 500R8 and the 500ADAT).

I couldn't live without the flexibility and features of a RME/TotalMix FX based solution anymore and would choose a combination of RME recording interface and the 500ADAT.

In your case connect the 500ADAT to your UCX II through ADAT and done.

Up to four channels of your 500ADAT could even be recorded in double speed if needed, so I would put the most often needed modules of the 500ADAT into slot 1-4.

I personally still record all in single speed. Still well enough for my demands. If I need more quality or dynamic then I can choose 44.1 or 48 kHz with 24bit.