Topic: AKAI Force/MPC and Total FX with Fireface device

Hi everyone,

I have an AKAI Force, running the latest OS, connected to my Fireface UFX MK.1 which is running in CC mode.
So far everything works fine and smooth.

Thing is, I'd eventually want to change the routing of my Fireface and use the internal compressor and EQ, boost incoming signals and so on.

Afaik, Total FX can only be reached via computer or iOS, that means if I'd like to change any settings I have to plug out the Force and connect the Fireface to my iPad or leave CC mode and do the configurations via the computer. In my case this leads to a situation where I can't rehearse the changes I am doing, meaning I am dialing in some settings blind, reconnect to the Force and if not satisfied do it all over again with a good chance that the Force crashes whenever I disconnect the audio interface.

My question: Has anyone ideas how to control Total FX that are better and more convenient than mine or can offer ideas for a better workflow?

Cheers & Thanks,
Plip

Re: AKAI Force/MPC and Total FX with Fireface device

Not understanding why you would have to make changes blind if you connect ufx to a computer with TM fx.
You can connect the master output of the available to an analog input of the ufx and then create eq and dynamic settings and check the sound through monitors or headphones.
Not sure though whether you can recall stored compressor settings in standalone mode. I would store the routing and everything by TM FX in one of the 6 config profiles and then check in standalone mode or cc mode as you said, whether the prepared settings are still there.
If you would keep the akai connected to analog inputs then you could even keep an iPAD with TM fx connected.
Tbh I do not fully understand your setup if  / why you should connect the akai via usb to the ufx in cc mode.

BR Ramses - UFX III, 12Mic, XTC, ADI-2 Pro FS R BE, RayDAT, X10SRi-F, E5-1680v4, Win10Pro22H2, Cub13

@ramses; Thank you for your reply!

To clarify: The AKAI Force in its latest form is a standalone production station. It replaces the computer and the DAW. It runs Linux based and it supports 32 analog inputs and 32 outputs that can feed a certain number of audio tracks (8 or 9) - theoretically. In reality it has only 2 analog ins and 4 analog outs. To up the number of physical inputs and outputs you need to connect an audio interface that speaks Linux via USB (without a driver in-between, because the Force is a closed system).
Via the CC mode the Fireface devices do exactly that, meaning the Force recognizes the Fireface and uses its inputs and outputs same as a computer would do.
Only thing, there is no Total FX on the Force. So I can't control the internal effects and routing while connected... I guess....

Now I've posted this question so someone can prove me wrong and hopefully explain to me that/how it can be done.
Maybe via the Total FX iOs app or the Remote app or an extra special trick I didn't think of?

Using the 6 config profiles as ramses suggested would serve as a band aid. I could define six setup schemes and recall them when needed, but I can't react to certain needs that come up in the moment.

Id there another way to connect them, like analogue or digital outs of the Akai? Then you can use a computer.

Vincent, Amsterdam
https://soundcloud.com/thesecretworld
BFpro fs, 2X HDSP9652 ADI-8AE, 2X HDSP9632