Topic: Do I need an attenuator?

New owner here of an ADI-2 DAC FS. Picked up a Black Friday deal. Seems I got an AK4493 model.

Initially, I connected the balanced outputs to a pre-amp with a volume control, and all's normal. But since I retired the turntable, I no longer have any analog inputs.  So figured I'd cut out the pre-amp.

With the balanced outputs connected directly to the power amplifier, I set auto Ref level ON, and set the Ref level to -5 dBu (I presume this is ignored).

I get a comfortable listening volume when with the volume at around -30 dBr. That "seems" low, even though it sounds fine to my ears. Is this a problem? Am I too close to a noise floor, or loosing bit depth, or some other limitation?

Re: Do I need an attenuator?

This article seems to answer my question. But what do I lose without the attenuator?
https://forum.rme-audio.de/viewtopic.php?id=25399

I'm lost in the terminology. What's dBu vs dBV vs dBr vs dBA vs dB?

If you use autoreflevel and set the volume to -30 you do not loose much because the ADI-2 DAC/Pro's design supports four different reference levels and the best one, delivering highest SNR / dynamics, is being chosen even considering volume changes by the use of B/T, PEQ and dynamic loudness.

Look at the technical data section  of manual. In the three highest reflevels you reach a maximum of let's say 124dB, only in the lowest reflevel a few dB less.

With autoreflevel on and volume at 0 dB you have SNR/dynamic of 124dB (from memory). Now reduce the volume by 1, 2, 3 ... then you have 1-3 dB less SNR dynamic.
Now reduce the volume even more, maybe at -8 youwill hear a relais clicking to switch to the next lower reflevel where you start again with a SNR/dynamic of 124dB.
This repeats a few time as the device supports 4 reference levels.
In  other not so well designs you might have at volume -30 a reduction  in SNR/dynamics of 30dB but not so with the ADI-2 DAC/Pro.
Create an excel and make a calculation accordi g to the max SNR values of each reflevel. The ADI shows you in the display which reflevel it uses and you hear additionally when it changes by click of relais.
Then you create a list of resulting SNR depending on volume from 0 dB to let's say -50.
You know at which levels you listen.
Now create three more columns in the excel and insert the values for a switchable attenuator usually -10, -20 and -30.
If you listen usually with a volume in the range of -20 - -30 and if you use now an attenuator with dampening of -10dB, then you can use a +10 higher volume range at the DAC, -10 - -20 instead of -20 - -30.
Check then I the excel whether this would bring you a significantly higher SNR. When you listen at -30 most likely not. If I remember right the reflevel changes every 6 or 8 dB. 4x6 or 4x8 are not far from  you -30dB. So I think you do not need an attenuator.

BR Ramses - UFX III, 12Mic, XTC, ADI-2 Pro FS R BE, RayDAT, X10SRi-F, E5-1680v4, Win10Pro22H2, Cub13

4 (edited by Happy_amateur 2021-12-13 12:21:09)

Im often down to -30 to even -50. Any volumecontrol, be it pot, resistor, digital will have a: too low -- sweetspot -- too high setting in relation to your hearing. The DAC fs does one heck of a job to WIDEN that sweetspot via Autoref levels, PEQ, B/T and the intelligent loudness control. You wont hear any noise qoute manual "..it wasnt there in the first place".

You can use Ramses charts to get max SNR for some serious listening being confident that you get absolutely top performance in your session. Or just for casual listening, watching a downloaded movie with mp3 encoding or youtube "..it sounds fine to my ears." If its good, its good, right.?

IMHO buying another HPamp/attenuator is waste of money simply because you dont need it. DAC fs can go stellar if you like or you can set it up so it doesnt challenge your attention span, more like background listening.

The digital volume tech has come under some attack. These are mostly just haters and agents of other brands. They cant touch this with their own gear or technology and they know it. An expression of fear big_smile

My advice is to get to know your device. Read the manual. Read post in this forum. The DAC fs has some learning curve and it takes some listening time sorting out preferences to the multitude of settings. Knowing what I know I would put my hard earned cash on another set of headphones. If u have a serious level problem these can sort it out adjusting with impedance and sensivity.

ADI-2 DAC, ADI-2 PRO, DigifaceUSB, UCXII, ARC, HEGEL.h80, KEF.ls50, HD650, ie400pro _,.\''/.,_

5 (edited by KaiS 2021-12-13 12:47:57)

elfred wrote:

New owner here of an ADI-2 DAC FS. ...

With the balanced outputs connected directly to the power amplifier, I set auto Ref level ON, and set the Ref level to -5 dBu (I presume this is ignored).

I get a comfortable listening volume when with the volume at around -30 dBr. That "seems" low, even though it sounds fine to my ears. Is this a problem? Am I too close to a noise floor, or loosing bit depth, or some other limitation?

That’s close enough to the optimum range to leave away an attenuator.

If you like you can add one (they’re cheap), 10 or 15 dB of attenuation, but don’t expect it to change anything audible.

With ADI-2 at -30 dBr, it’s Signal to Noise Ratio is already better than most power amp’s.

If you don’t hear noise you don’t have a noise problem!

If you like further background info about the digital volume control, read page 90 of ADI-2 Pro’s manual.

6 (edited by Curt962 2021-12-14 01:53:24)

Elfred,

See section 30.2 of your User Manual.  Here, we can find the SNR at the various Ref Levels, and means of connection.  From this, we can subtract our Vol Setting and derive the value of our expected SNR.

-5 Ref Level (unbalanced) equals 117db SNR.  Subtracting from this your Vol setting (-30) equals -87db.   That's really quiet, but the data should help you more easily see the effect of Vol Setting, and why Auto-Ref is such a great functionality!   

All that said, you don't NEED attenuators, because if you don't hear noise...there is no noise to be concerned with.

I like my Vol to be in the -15 range, but that's me.  Further, very low Vol setting requirements for normal listening allow for the possibility of the user inadvertently sending their Amp/Speakers a signal level far in excess of what they can handle.   If it's getting loud at -30db, imagine what 0db would sound like?  Ouch!!  Ooops!!!

This will sound exactly like Repair Bills!

Attenuators then to some degree act as a Safety barrier to prevent overloads downstream.

Alternatively, you could just lower the input sensitivity of your Amplifier, and achieve the same result.

Best,

Curt

Vintage 2018 ADI-2 DAC. "Classic AKM4490 Edition"
Cables:  Red, and White Ones.
Speakers:  Yes

7 (edited by skyfly 2021-12-14 12:59:36)

My normal volume level is lower than - 30 dBr.

Anyway, assuming the EQ and tone tone control are off, at -30 dBr, the digital "resolution loss" is about  (11.5 + 2.5) dB (calculated from -18.5 dBr) by my unapproved novice understanding.

So a little more than 2-bit loss. With a well implemented modern DAC chip, I would not worry about it.

0 dBu is 0.775 volt RMS.

0 dBV is 1 volt RMS

dBr is context dependent.

dBA means that A-weighted filter is used. Another popular filter is C filter: less low and high cut than A. For low level noise assessment, A filter is popular. For moderate level music sound, C filter is popular. I guess Z filter means flat in audio band.

For voltage amplitude, 20 X log10( V1/V2 ) is the dB figure of the ratio V1/V2. For example, if 0.1 V RMS input results in 1.0 V RMS output by an amplifier, the voltage gain of the amplifier is said to be 10, or in terms of decibel, 20 dB from the calculation 20 X log10( 1.0 / 0.1 ) = 20 X log10( 10 ) = 20.

9 (edited by KaiS 2021-12-14 15:23:24)

Curt962 wrote:

... See section 30.2 of your User Manual.  Here, we can find the SNR at the various Ref Levels, and means of connection.  From this, we can subtract our Vol Setting and derive the value of our expected SNR.

-5 Ref Level (unbalanced) equals 117db SNR.  Subtracting from this your Vol setting (-30) equals -87db. ...

You didn’t take into account the 18 dB Auto Reference Level switching range.

-30 dBr is in fact -12 dB FS (Full Scale) seen from the DAC chip.
Would be ca. 105 dB SNR, more than most power amps, specially if not fully driven like in this case.

Refer to section 19.3 of the User Manual

Based on the Vol, and Ref Level indicated by the Poster, my Math is in agreement with the method of calculation explained in the manual.

Curt

Vintage 2018 ADI-2 DAC. "Classic AKM4490 Edition"
Cables:  Red, and White Ones.
Speakers:  Yes

11 (edited by KaiS 2021-12-16 14:11:10)

Curt962 wrote:

Refer to section 19.3 of the User Manual

Based on the Vol, and Ref Level indicated by the Poster, my Math is in agreement with the method of calculation explained in the manual.

Curt

You mix -30 dB and -30 dBr.

elfred wrote:

...I set auto Ref level ON, ...
... I get a comfortable listening volume when with the volume at around -30 dBr.

If you see the „r“ after dB you have Auto Reference Level active and gain another 18 dB of SNR:

117dB SNR -30dBr +18dB = 105 dB SNR

Your calculation would be right if a user would be on manually choosen Reference Level = -5dBu, then dial a Volume -30 dB (without “r”) for normal listening level.
This situation would ask for an external attenuator.

Not the case here.

Wow. I posted a question, then got swamped at work for a few days. And came back to this! You guys rock.

Glad to hear that I don't need to change anything right away. I'm looking forward to a few days off after Christmas, where I'll finally get some time to give this thing a good listen. And perhaps spend some quality time with the manual.

Seems a great DAC and a great community.

...El