Topic: How to connect Babyface Pro FS to Yamaha HS7 ?

Hello,

What is the best way to connect the Babyface Pro FS to the Yamaha HS7 ?

Recommended cables, etc .. everything.

Thanks !

2 (edited by JohnnyCage 2021-12-22 09:39:03)

Re: How to connect Babyface Pro FS to Yamaha HS7 ?

About the length, 2m would be enough.

ramses wrote:

You need an audio cable with TRS 6.3mm and XRL male plugs (best with Neutrik plugs).
You didn't tell about cable length.

This is a good 3m cable and not too cheap/expensive.
https://www.thomann.de/de/cordial_cfm_3 … _kabel.htm

Regarding the cable you have recommended, the Babyface Pro FS has only one 6.3mm output.
How would then I connect the second monitor ?

3 (edited by vinark 2021-12-22 10:01:24)

JohnnyCage wrote:

ramses wrote:

You need an audio cable with TRS 6.3mm and XRL male plugs (best with Neutrik plugs).

Regarding the cable you have recommended, the Babyface Pro FS has only one 6.3mm output.

Not the right cable... I don't know the yamahas but i am guessing xlr inputs? If yes you need a normal XLR cable from the babyfaces xlr outs to the yamaha ins. I have a babyface too and use this. Different speakers but with XLR too.
Normal XLR cable is a microphone cable in this case

Vincent, Amsterdam
https://soundcloud.com/thesecretworld
BFpro fs, 2X HDSP9652 ADI-8AE, 2X HDSP9632

4 (edited by ramses 2021-12-22 10:05:02)

vinark wrote:
JohnnyCage wrote:

ramses wrote:

Not the right cable... I don't know the yamahas but i am guessing xlr inputs? If yes you need a normal XLR cable from the babyfaces xlr outs to the yamaha ins. I have a babyface too and use this. Different speakers but with XLR too.
Normal XLR cable is a microphone cable in this case

Thanks vinark for the correction, sorry, I had a wrong "picture" in my mind, of course XLR to XLR, sorry for any confusion wink
Was during the 1st coffee, seems I was not really awake wink

BR Ramses - UFX III, 12Mic, XTC, ADI-2 Pro FS R BE, RayDAT, X10SRi-F, E5-1680v4, Win10Pro22H2, Cub13

Don't worry about it Ramses! First coffee here too lol

Vincent, Amsterdam
https://soundcloud.com/thesecretworld
BFpro fs, 2X HDSP9652 ADI-8AE, 2X HDSP9632

6 (edited by ramses 2021-12-23 06:46:26)

JohnnyCage wrote:

ramses wrote:

We had already threads about this last recently, pls search the forum.

In short, the Babyface Pro FS has only
- one possibility for XLR output (2x XLR L/R)
- two headphone outputs which share the same d/a converter / volume settings

So you can't connect two monitors and phones at the same time without extra equipment.

There are several solutions for that, see other threads, but I personally would recommend you, to take directly a recording interface that has the required amount of analog outputs for driving 2x active monitors (balanced) and 1-2x phones as needed.

If you didn't purchase already the recording interface then have a look at the new UCX II or UFX II/+.
Alternatively you could also think about integrating an ADI-2 DAC or Pro FS into your environment (e.g. through ADAT).

If you intend to use one of the phones outputs you could use an Y-Cable (TRS to 2xXLR), but this is then no balanced connection anymore, one little disadvantage.

Of course you could also connect the headphones then to the 2nd phones plug, BUT .. then you can not separately use / mute monitor B and phones. I think this is a bad solution and you should not think about this.

Final possibility is to connet a monitor controller supporting at least 2 monitors or even 1 or more phones.

Addition: using an ADI-2 DAC/Pro as DA converter would also achieve the function of a monitor controller in terms of preventing big volume changes if you accidently change the faders to 0dB. Which can become very loud. See also this interesting thread about level mismatches and how to solve them with attenuators:
https://forum.rme-audio.de/viewtopic.php?id=25399

If you would like to max quality and features for your main monitors and phones I personally would get an ADI-2 Pro FS R BE anyway, then you would have feature wise the best solution for your main monitors and phones. Of course depends on your interests in that area and budget.

In case you are interested and would like to gather more information, to be able to draw a good decision afterwards, here two selected blog articles for you regarding these products:

If you get the Pro model of it, then you have some more interesting features. Some information about the differences between ADI-2 DAC FS and ADI-2 Pro FS you can find here: https://www.tonstudio-forum.de/blog/ind … ses-EN-DE/

And here how to integrate it into your setup: https://www.tonstudio-forum.de/blog/ind … our-Setup/

BR Ramses - UFX III, 12Mic, XTC, ADI-2 Pro FS R BE, RayDAT, X10SRi-F, E5-1680v4, Win10Pro22H2, Cub13

7 (edited by JohnnyCage 2021-12-23 02:09:56)

I start by thanking the members of this forum who helped so far. So, thank you.

vinark wrote:

(trimmed)........ I don't know the yamahas but i am guessing xlr inputs?............ (trimmed)

I suppose I could have avoided the mess by posting images of thems:

Yamaha HS7 inputs in each of the monitors:
https://i.ibb.co/BBwYfFV/yamaha.jpg

Babyface Pro FS:
https://i.ibb.co/FnFVPBw/babyface-pro.jpg

ramses wrote:

(trimmed).........
We had already threads about this last recently, pls search the forum.
........(trimmed)

I had searched, and did not find any solution. But maybe theres a better way to search.

ramses wrote:

(trimmed)...........In short, the Babyface Pro FS has only
- one XLR output...........(trimmed)

I see two XLR outputs, but I may be mistaken. Correct me if i'm wrong.

8 (edited by Topanga_Dreams 2021-12-23 06:50:30)

@JohnnyCage:

Here’s a link

https://forum.rme-audio.de/viewtopic.php?id=34322

for a recent thread regarding second monitor connections with Babyface Pro FS & Fireface UCX II respectively UFX+ (also with the option for a further update on the current ADI-2 Pro).

This helped me to buy the UCX II (there is a promo right now for US/Canada customers, which includes the ARC USB, where you can switch between two monitors. Also a Plugin bundle is included).

Mac Mini M2 Pro 16GB RAM - RME FIREFACE 802 - LOGIC PRO

9 (edited by ramses 2021-12-23 07:16:56)

> I see two XLR outputs, but I may be mistaken. Correct me if i'm wrong.

I typed this maybe too quickly, I meant in this context, that you have only
- "one" possibility to connect active monitors via XLR and
- two kind of plugs for connecting phones, which share the same d/a converter / volume setting in TM FX.

But still a stereo signal consists of two mono signals L/R and you need two connect
- Left active monitor to the left XLR plug
- right active monitor to the right XLR plug

@Topanga_: thanks for pointing to the other thread ;-)

10 (edited by Topanga_Dreams 2021-12-23 14:46:45)

@ramses: You’re welcome ;-)

Mac Mini M2 Pro 16GB RAM - RME FIREFACE 802 - LOGIC PRO

11 (edited by JohnnyCage 2021-12-24 01:19:29)

Topanga_Dreams wrote:

@JohnnyCage:

Here’s a link

https://forum.rme-audio.de/viewtopic.php?id=34322

for a recent thread regarding second monitor connections with Babyface Pro FS & Fireface UCX II respectively UFX+ (also with the option for a further update on the current ADI-2 Pro).

This helped me to buy the UCX II (there is a promo right now for US/Canada customers, which includes the ARC USB, where you can switch between two monitors. Also a Plugin bundle is included).

After reading that thread, I think that it might be beneficial to extend the budget a little, and buy a more advanced interface. I am considering it now.

ramses wrote:

(trimmed)
I typed this maybe too quickly, I meant in this context, that you have only
- "one" possibility to connect active monitors via XLR and
- two kind of plugs for connecting phones, which share the same d/a converter / volume setting in TM FX.

But still a stereo signal consists of two mono signals L/R and you need two connect
- Left active monitor to the left XLR plug
- right active monitor to the right XLR plug
(trimmed)

Ok, now I understand.

Last question, hopefully:
The Yamaha HS7 are powered, self amped monitors. What will happen if I connect the Babyface Pro FS to them through XLR?
Are XLR outputs of the Babyface Pro FS powered ? Would'nt it damage the monitors if they are ?

The outputs are balanced signal not powered. The bfp only outputs low level signals for connecting balanced, headphones/line level.
I have the bfp fs and connect to my Adam A7X powered speakers via XLR. I then have headphones plugged into the 1/4” side output. I also have a behringer ada8200 which I use for extra inputs but mainly for the outputs to 2nd monitors and my Art headphone amplifier.

I would suggest you read up on the bfp fs specifications and those of what you want to connect. It would probably have been a good idea to do this and ask questions before you made the purchase but it is what it is. I think you need to read up on audio connections and what they mean as you seem to be buying blind.

My reasons for bfp fs.
1 I very rarely (if ever) record more than two mics at once.
2 I don’t really need a 2nd set of monitors but chose to use some since I got the ada8200.
3 I made a compromise with the outputs as when I got it I only used one set of headphones.
4 the only reason I got the ada8200 is I may record a drum kit in the future. I haven’t done yet in the last year since purchasing.

The bfp has two XLR inputs which work for microphones or line and have phantom power
It also has two line inputs.
It has left and right XLR outputs on the back
It has two headphone outputs which are not independently controllable.
It also has adat/spdif connectivity which you can read up on. I have the ada820o connected giving 8in/8 out extra.

This information should be enough to work out what you need to do.

Babyface Pro Fs, Behringer ADA8200, win 10/11 PCs, Cubase/Wavelab, Adam A7X monitors.

mkok wrote:

The outputs are balanced signal not powered. The bfp only outputs low level signals for connecting balanced, headphones/line level.
I have the bfp fs and connect to my Adam A7X powered speakers via XLR. I then have headphones plugged into the 1/4” side output. I also have a behringer ada8200 which I use for extra inputs but mainly for the outputs to 2nd monitors and my Art headphone amplifier.

I would suggest you read up on the bfp fs specifications and those of what you want to connect. It would probably have been a good idea to do this and ask questions before you made the purchase but it is what it is. I think you need to read up on audio connections and what they mean as you seem to be buying blind.

My reasons for bfp fs.
1 I very rarely (if ever) record more than two mics at once.
2 I don’t really need a 2nd set of monitors but chose to use some since I got the ada8200.
3 I made a compromise with the outputs as when I got it I only used one set of headphones.
4 the only reason I got the ada8200 is I may record a drum kit in the future. I haven’t done yet in the last year since purchasing.

The bfp has two XLR inputs which work for microphones or line and have phantom power
It also has two line inputs.
It has left and right XLR outputs on the back
It has two headphone outputs which are not independently controllable.
It also has adat/spdif connectivity which you can read up on. I have the ada820o connected giving 8in/8 out extra.

This information should be enough to work out what you need to do.

Will do my homework next time.

Thanks to all of you.
All questions are answered.