Topic: Babyface Pro FS expansion

Hi,

Merry Christmas to all!

I have a Babyface Pro FS. Absolutely love it! I do however want to expand the mic preamp inputs. Which RME devices can I add to expand my Babyface? Am just a home user. Most affordable would be best. Something with at least 2 mic preamps. Will have it go through the ADAT In. Need it to be RME so that I can still use Totalmix FX with it. Also, with an RME, how much extra latency can I expect? I was hoping since it is RME, latency would be kept low.

Thanks in advance!
Loren

Babyface Pro FS, Cubase Elements 10, Windows 10, Yamaha HS8 & HS8S, electric/acoustic guitarist

2 (edited by waedi 2021-12-24 10:26:30)

Re: Babyface Pro FS expansion

12 Mic would be great, maybe a bit too big.
The Octamic XTC seems no longer available.
Behringer ADA8200 is a low budget alternative that would do the job well.

There is no extra latency from a simple mic preamp adat and these channels will be in Totalmix as before.
For changing a mic preamp gain you have to use another software beside Totalmix.
Octamix XTC and the 12Mic can be both remote controlled via Midi remote application this one :
https://rme-audio.de/downloads/midiremote_mac.zip

M1-Sequoia, Madiface Pro, Digiface USB, Babyface silver and blue

There are options like the Octamic ll but TotalMix will work with any adat mic pre. It all depends on what quality you want. I use a Behringer ADA8200. The only manual things you need to do is turn phantom power on/off and set the input gain. The rest of the levels are done in TotalMix. I also got an older focusrite 8 input/output pre cheap 2nd hand which worked well but but I didn’t think it worked as well or sounded as good as the ada8200.

Also do you want in and out? Think about what your needs are. The outs are great for running extra speakers or to a headphone amplifier. Others use them to use as loopback. Not all pre amps have outputs via adat. Also the bfp fs has one set of ins and outs. Depending on what sample rate you want to use dictates how many channels you can have. The ada8200 only does 44.1 and 48.

44.1 and 48 will give you 8 channels
96 will give you 4 Channels 
192 will give you 2 channels

Babyface Pro Fs, Behringer ADA8200, win 10/11 PCs, Cubase/Wavelab, Adam A7X monitors.

4 (edited by ramses 2021-12-24 11:36:39)

> Most affordable would be best.
> Something with at least 2 mic preamps. Will have it go through the ADAT In.

Least expensive is ADA8200 for under €200.

> Need it to be RME so that I can still use Totalmix FX with it

No, simply a preamp that can be connected through ADAT

> Also, with an RME, how much extra latency can I expect?

Transfer through ADAT has no significant/noticeable latency compared to transfer through USB depending on ASIO buffersize or converter latency.
The latency that you will get on top is the converter latency of the connected preamps for A/D (and for D/A if present). But converter latency is compared to RTL over USB much much lower.

See here typical values from one of my blog articles:
https://www.tonstudio-forum.de/blog/ind … 8-RME-UFX/

https://www.tonstudio-forum.de/index.php/Attachment/2343-UFX-UFX-RayDAT-Latencies-v2-jpg/

It has already been pointed out, that ADAT can carry 8 channels at single speed (44.1/48). The ADA8200 is limited to single speed, but gives you everything for a low budget: preamps, line in, line out.

In contrast to that RME's least expensive preamp is a Octamic II for €1279.
Not sure but assume that this exceeds your price range.
But if you want to have a RME preamp, then this would be the least expensive solution to upgrade through ADAT.

If 4 preamps are enough for you as you said, then we can make a cross caluculation.
If you add the cost of BBF Pro FS and Octamic II: €1279+698 = €1977

For a little lower price you could get an UFX II for €1879 with four really fantastic Mic Preamps with 75dB Gain range, that are flexible as they can also be used as line or instrument inputs.

Furthermore a lot of features and possibilities to expand: 2x ADAT, 1x AES, 2 phones outputs, 2x MIDI I/O, DURec, Autoset, Full implementation of FX chip...
Then later maybe an ARC USB on top if you want to have a remote for TM FX control room.

BR Ramses - UFX III, 12Mic, XTC, ADI-2 Pro FS R BE, RayDAT, X10SRi-F, E5-1680v4, Win10Pro22H2, Cub13

Hi everyone!

Wow! Thank you everyone for the sharing! Didn’t know a lot of the stuff mentioned before. Really big help!

I guess just a few more questions ☺️ I am considering a Focusrite Clarett 8 Pre. Want to just make sure that the effects of the Totalmix FX (reverb/delay) and EQ will work on this? I usually commit with the Totalmix EQ also when using the Babyface. Will committing with the EQ (for recording) this be possible too with the Clarett?

Thanks again!
Loren

Babyface Pro FS, Cubase Elements 10, Windows 10, Yamaha HS8 & HS8S, electric/acoustic guitarist

6 (edited by ramses 2021-12-25 07:14:33)

The Focusrite I wouldn't take because its and audio interface, not a preamp.
You pay a lot for a functionality that you do not need.
And I think this preamp has too much limited input gain for that price.

If it would be at least USB, but Thunderbolt makes it unnecessary expensive and narrows the possibilities to connect it to a PC as audio interface, because Thunderbolt based computer are still rare (and also expensive).
Unlike any other PCI/PCIe card Thunderbolt can sadly not be added to a PC by simply plugging a PCIe card, the mainboard/BIOS has to be prepared/designed for Thunderbolt.
RME can send 68ch in and out through USB2 (former product MADIface Pro) and USB2 is present at each PC.

So in short this Focusrite audio interface is in my personal not so good in your case and gives you limited value for the price.

To sum up, in your case you have already a recording interface with USB the BBF Pro.
So you do not need another audio interface, you only need a Mic Preamp alternatively an USB audio interface with 8 Mic Pres that can run in stand-alone mode (USB, so that unlinke TB it doesn't become too exensive).

If you are willed to pay €1000 for such a Focusrite, then you could also think about
- RME OctaMic II
- Audient ASP880

The MOTU 8 Pre USB (USB recording interface with 8 Preamps) has even fewer Gain.

It might be the case, that you need to make the Mic Pre to act as clock master if the mic pre has no ADAT IN port or another digital input which is compatible to the BBF Pro FS. As the BBF Pro FS has no word clock, this is also not an option.
So simply let the preamp be clock master, BBF Pro's SteadyClock technology will eliminate any potential clock jitter anyway reliably.

Or you take the Behringer, simple, isi pisi, cheap.

You will have TM FX effects because the effects work inside the BBF Pro. But remember, BBF Pro FS has only a limited FX section on board for e.g. EQ. FX effects like Reverbs/Dynamic effects are rendered on PC via the RME ASIO driver.

BR Ramses - UFX III, 12Mic, XTC, ADI-2 Pro FS R BE, RayDAT, X10SRi-F, E5-1680v4, Win10Pro22H2, Cub13

Its probably the Clarett OctoPre which is just a pre amp with 8 ins and outs at £700 ( they have a refurbished at under £600) It's not an audio interface. Yes Reverb Delay and EQ will work. Each slider has an EQ tab as well as effects send control.

It really depends on what you want to spend and what you want. Not all have in and out. I take it you already have the bfp fs?

Babyface Pro Fs, Behringer ADA8200, win 10/11 PCs, Cubase/Wavelab, Adam A7X monitors.

Hi,

Thanks for the clarification. I used to own a Focusrite Scarlett Octopre. Sold that. Glitchy at the time with weird dropouts and pops.

I was looking at the wrong thing. What I should have been looking at was the Clarett Octopre. The Focusrite website is kind confusing. The problem is that it seems to have been discontinued and no longer available. I will check out the refurbished units. Thanks for the info!

Yup. Have the Babyface Pro FS. Just wanted additional Mic inputs added via ADAT to the Babyface. No other features as I am expecting now that I know I can use Totalmix FX on any added Mic Preamp ADAT I use.

For brand new, I think am setting my sight now on either the Behringer or Audient. Will check them out.

Thanks!
Loren

Hi,

Just wanted to make one last clarification, am getting the Clarett Octopre. I know that Totalmix FX will work with it and the EQ too.

Just wanted to make sure I can commit or record the track along with the Totalmix EQ? I just usually use an 80hz Low Pass Shelf and need it included in the recording. Would be great to be able to use the full EQ of the Totalmix FX if needed.

Thanks!
Loren

Just an update. Going for an Audient ASP880 instead. Clarett Phantom Power was a limiting 1-4, 5-8 set up and not individually like the Audient. I didn’t want the headaches later on when I start getting mics where Phantom Power might damage the mic and I make a mistake.

Hello, do you know any 8-out only ADAT expansion? I don’t want to pay for mic pres or USB implementation. Just the outputs for multichannel sound projection. I’am looking for Babyface extension. In ADA8200 price range but in more portable size, like ESI GigaPort (ideally with balanced outs).

Hi Del_Gesu,

Sorry. My knowledge is limited. I understand what you are asking but don’t know of any.

Have you tried searching the RME Products section? Curious. Let us know if you find what you are looking for.

Even more curious, how do you plan on such a device?

Loren

Unfortunetely I didn’t find RME product, but I am on tight budget, so even if RME would have something, I suppose it would be out of my range.
ESI GigaPort is most portable, price reasonable and still quatliy ok. solution I’ve ever known. But since I have BF, I would love to have something like that, but instead of USB implementation, with ADAT ins. Thanks to this I could make it part of Babyface environment. In total 12 outs with TotalMix capabilities.
I am composer and one of my main interests is musical spaciousness. I am making multichannel projects with multiple loudspeakers sound projection.