Topic: Totalmix and and ADAT preamps

Hello everyone, my name is Joaquin and this is my first post in the forum.
I am thinking of acquiring an RME fireface 802 and expanding the 4 channels it brings with 8 more via ADAT, since my intention is to use it to record drums and monitor my group while we rehearse, adding effects in real time with totalmix. For expansion I had thought of the 8 preamps of the Audient ASP 880. And my question is: will I be able to insert the RME's DSP effects into the ADAT channels in totalmix? Is there anything I have to keep in mind when choosing a preamplifier via ADAT so that I don't have compatibility issues with totalmix and DSP effects?
Thank you very much in advance for your help. Greetings and merry christmas!

2 (edited by waedi 2021-12-24 17:06:56)

Re: Totalmix and and ADAT preamps

Hello Joaquin
It will not work, sorry.
This ASP 880 is not receiving any audio from Totalmix, it can only send the mic inputs to the Totalmix because it has only adat outputs no inputs.
Take a look at the Behringer ADA8200.
I used this one just for recording a band in the bandroom.
The ADA8200 has 8 outputs wich gives you 4 stereo outs, = 4 headphones and everyone has its own mix including all the effects from Totalmix.
You can use any RME interface that has adat ports.
They all work the same regarding Totalmix and it's effects.
All adat output channels can have their own mix with the effects of Totalmix.
If you can't find an available 802, a Babyface would be fine too.

M1-Sonoma, Madiface Pro, Digiface USB, Babyface silver and blue

guitarreo wrote:

Will I be able to insert the RME's DSP effects into the ADAT channels in totalmix?

Not sure what you mean. Let me try to put it this way:
In TotalMix FX all
- HW input channels have: EQ, Dynamic section and FX Send
- SW playback channels (audio from PC) have: FX Send
- HW output channels have: EQ, Dynamic section and FX Send

If you record drums via mics (no matter whether from the 802's or the Audient preamps via ADAT)
then per default the recorded signal in the DAW will have no effects (can be changed).

The FX will only be send to the HW outputs where you do the monitoring through active monitors or headphones.
Which you can record on the corresponding input channel when activating Loopback on the HW output.

guitarreo wrote:

Is there anything I have to keep in mind when choosing a preamplifier via ADAT so that I don't have compatibility
issues with totalmix and DSP effects?

No, ADAT is a pure digital transport channel: 8ch@single speed, 4ch@double speed, 2ch @quad speed.

The only thing where you need to take care is
- amount of channels, at double speed you need already 2x ADAT I/O
- TOSLINK for ADAT are limited at around 10m according to standard
  With Mutec TOSLINK cables between RME UFX+ and ADI-2 Pro even 15+1(with TOSLINK Switcher) even 16m are possible

One recommendation in terms of the 802, I personally prefer to be able to save restore all gain settings in TotalMix FX snapshots. This is not possible with the 802. I would consider to get an UFX II. Then you also have features like
Autoset and DURec.

If you spend a few bucks more you have even more flexibility by
- having USB3, Thunderbolt (and USB2 without MADI channels) towards the PC and
- MADI with 64 channels at single speed, 32ch at double speed and 16ch at quad speed.

With MADI you can build up a ring structure of multiple devices. The cable length may be up to 2km between each of the devices. Patch cables are available up to 50m.

And you can, if you use certain RME preamps, use a so called Auxdevice feature to remote control them through Totalmix FX by using the MIDI over MADI feature. Then you even do not need MIDI cabling for the remote control.

Currently only possible with the Octamic XTC. But as this preamps doesn't seem to be produced anymore if you look at the shop's status I assume, that soon this feature will also be implemented into the 12Mic as it has been promised by RME. This feature had to be delayed because of all the hassles around Corona.

I told you that, that you know the "bigger picture" to look what fits your demands or any potential later expansion plans best.

BR Ramses - UFX III, 12Mic, XTC, ADI-2 Pro FS R BE, RayDAT, X10SRi-F, E5-1680v4, Win10Pro22H2, Cub13

4 (edited by guitarreo 2021-12-25 02:54:38)

waedi wrote:

I think I have not explained well.
That is what I really wanted to know.

And also this

In TotalMix FX all

So thank youu mates

guitarreo wrote:
waedi wrote:

I think I have not explained well.
That is what I really wanted to know.

And also this

In TotalMix FX all

So thank youu mates

To be clear on that, only if the recording interface has a FX chip like the 802.
"TotalMix FX" is the name of the RME Monitor Mixer, but not every recording interface has a FX chip.

BR Ramses - UFX III, 12Mic, XTC, ADI-2 Pro FS R BE, RayDAT, X10SRi-F, E5-1680v4, Win10Pro22H2, Cub13