Topic: RME UCX II - Temperature

Hello,
I find that my UCX II is very hot.   (especially under the box and the Word Clock connector)

Is this excessive heat standard ?
Any recommendation ?

thanks

Re: RME UCX II - Temperature

That's normal. Use feet to give it some air flow if you are concerned.

Regards
Matthias Carstens
RME

3 (edited by Manuel 2021-12-25 14:17:59)

MC wrote:

That's normal. Use feet to give it some air flow if you are concerned.

Hi MC, I've owned several RME interfaces over the years. The first one I bought was the FF400 and it did get very hot. I also had the original UFX for a short while and it definitely ran cooler than the FF400. The BabyFace Pro runs very cool by comparison. I'm going to buy either the Fireface UCX II or the UFX II, which of these two would you say will run cooler? Also, could you comment on what is considered a normal operating temperature for the UCX II and the UFX II? I know what seems hot to the hand is probably ok for electronics, but it's always good to put a number to it just to be sure. Thank you and merry xmas!

4 (edited by ramses 2021-12-25 14:33:50)

Expect RME devices to be designed properly. It is always better (and a good sign) if heat is noticeably released to the outside than it is accumulated inside with a fanless design.

Therefore I would order the interface based on your demands and not based on any temperatures.

The flagship interfaces like UFX II / + (also the 802) have besides more ports / features one additional advantage.
They suppress power-on crackling on all analog outputs, not only for the headphone outputs.

Maybe my excel comparison sheet can help you to find the one with the proper features:
Blog article: https://www.tonstudio-forum.de/blog/ind … B-MADIfac/
Direct Link to Excel: https://www.tonstudio-forum.de/index.ph … -04b-xlsx/
Also available as PDF there.

If you should choose the UFX II for this power-on dampening on all analog ports and other  features you should also consider the UFX+.

I personally am the opinion, that it's always an advantage to have a Plan B.
The plan B here is , that you have two different possibilities to connect to your computer: through USB3 and Thunderbolt.

Even USB2 operation is possible in cases where your computer has no USB3 port free. Then only the USB transport of MADI channels from/to computer does not work. The routing from MADI inputs to any other channel locally on the UFX+ still works.

Next advantage .. in case that you need to expand with external adda converter or preamps, especially if you want to record at higher sample rates (maybe for special projects with high quality demands), then MADI gives you 64 channels, where still 32 remain at double speed (16 at quad speed).
You have the flexibility to connect more devices through MADI and due to longer cable length, you can distribute devices/preamps better through different rooms or on stage.
You can add e.g. 8 preamps to one MADI port (ring structure) and the cable length between each of these cables may be up to 2km. Patch cables for this multimode fiber cable (OM3 or OM4) are usually available up to 50m.

Or in other words, for only a little higher price much more flexibility for the future.

Besides this I regard it as a general advantage, that the UFX II / + have already two headphones outputs of very good quality.

Another thing is, that UFX II and UFX+ use the MADIface USB driver which allows even slightly lower ASIO buffer sizes of 32 samples at single speed.

For better compatibility operability with the older model "UCX" the "UCX II" got the same (older) USB driver, this has 48 samples as lowest ASIO buffer size. Not a very big difference but if you should want for lowest ASIO buffersizes compareable to the HDSPe PCI/PCIe driver, then the MADIface and Thunderbolt driver give you an advantage here.

Here you can compare the RTL (round trip latencies) if different RME products:
https://www.tonstudio-forum.de/index.php/Attachment/2343-UFX-UFX-RayDAT-Latencies-v2-jpg/

BR Ramses - UFX III, 12Mic, XTC, ADI-2 Pro FS R BE, RayDAT, X10SRi-F, E5-1680v4, Win10Pro22H2, Cub13

5 (edited by Manuel 2021-12-25 20:15:13)

ramses wrote:

Expect RME devices to be designed properly. It is always better (and a good sign) if heat is noticeably released to the outside than it is accumulated inside with a fanless design.

Therefore I would order the interface based on your demands and not based on any temperatures.

The flagship interfaces like UFX II / + (also the 802) have besides more ports / features one additional advantage.
They suppress power-on crackling on all analog outputs, not only for the headphone outputs.

Maybe my excel comparison sheet can help you to find the one with the proper features:
Blog article: https://www.tonstudio-forum.de/blog/ind … B-MADIfac/
Direct Link to Excel: https://www.tonstudio-forum.de/index.ph … -04b-xlsx/
Also available as PDF there.

If you should choose the UFX II for this power-on dampening on all analog ports and other  features you should also consider the UFX+.

I personally am the opinion, that it's always an advantage to have a Plan B.
The plan B here is , that you have two different possibilities to connect to your computer: through USB3 and Thunderbolt.

Even USB2 operation is possible in cases where your computer has no USB3 port free. Then only the USB transport of MADI channels from/to computer does not work. The routing from MADI inputs to any other channel locally on the UFX+ still works.

Next advantage .. in case that you need to expand with external adda converter or preamps, especially if you want to record at higher sample rates (maybe for special projects with high quality demands), then MADI gives you 64 channels, where still 32 remain at double speed (16 at quad speed).
You have the flexibility to connect more devices through MADI and due to longer cable length, you can distribute devices/preamps better through different rooms or on stage.
You can add e.g. 8 preamps to one MADI port (ring structure) and the cable length between each of these cables may be up to 2km. Patch cables for this multimode fiber cable (OM3 or OM4) are usually available up to 50m.

Or in other words, for only a little higher price much more flexibility for the future.

Besides this I regard it as a general advantage, that the UFX II / + have already two headphones outputs of very good quality.

Another thing is, that UFX II and UFX+ use the MADIface USB driver which allows even slightly lower ASIO buffer sizes of 32 samples at single speed.

For better compatibility operability with the older model "UCX" the "UCX II" got the same (older) USB driver, this has 48 samples as lowest ASIO buffer size. Not a very big difference but if you should want for lowest ASIO buffersizes compareable to the HDSPe PCI/PCIe driver, then the MADIface and Thunderbolt driver give you an advantage here.

Here you can compare the RTL (round trip latencies) if different RME products:
https://www.tonstudio-forum.de/index.php/Attachment/2343-UFX-UFX-RayDAT-Latencies-v2-jpg/

Thanks for the super detailed reply. In terms of I/O the UCX II is plenty, my main requirement was AES/EBU, and I only need one microphone pre so having two has me more than covered. I work 100% in-the-box so the extra I/O on the back will be for connecting things like my headphone distribution amp and a pair of mix cubes, and I'd still have some spre I/O. I previously bought the UFX (which I had to part with for reasons I won't bore you guys with) thinking I would find a use for the extra I/O but due to the way I work I found that not to be the case.

Looking at that spreadsheet it looks like the UCX II also features power-on pop suppression, which for me is a very desirable feature. I see, however, that the UCX II does not have a mechanical power switch like the old UCX or the UFX; instead, it the data knob is held down for 2 sec. to power on and off. Do you know if the default state is OFF when the power supply is connected? This matters because I power the gear in my rack using a remote control. If the default state is OFF, this will be no good, as I'll still have to reach for the UCX knob on the rack. Maybe there is a way to set the default state? EDIT: It remembers the last state, so it can be powered on externally—nice!

The UCX II also seems to have faster converters, though the difference is probably imperceptible.

6 (edited by Thermaltake 2021-12-26 17:39:09)

My ex. fireface 400 was also extremly hot no matter what the season is. I always have my units on cork plugs to get better air circulation.

Now I got myself UCX II and this card is not heating at all, I was amazed. I also have unit on cork plugs like I did FF400.

7 (edited by Manuel 2021-12-25 20:17:36)

Thermaltake wrote:

My ex. fireface 400 was also extremly hot no matter what the season is. I always have my units on cork plugs to get better air circulation.

Now I got myself UCX and this card is not heating at all, I was amazed. I also have unit on cork plugs like I did FF400.

UCX or UCX II? Still sounds promising. I swear I could fry eggs on my FF400. I put another small piece of gear on top of it that had rubber feet and the feet got stuck to the FF400 from the heat, leaving marks that I was never able to clean off (basically the rubber and the FF400 paint must have reacted somehow).

8 (edited by ramses 2021-12-25 20:17:40)

Hi Manuel,

> Looking at that spreadsheet it looks like the UCX II also features power-on pop suppression

oh sorry then I had this wrong in my mind.

> I see, however, that the UCX II does not have a mechanical power switch like the old UCX or the UFX;
> instead, it the data knob is held down for 2 sec. to power on and off. Do you know if the default state is OFF
> when the power supply is connected? This matters because I power the gear in my rack using a remote control.
> If the default state is OFF, this will be no good, as I'll still have to reach for the UCX knob on the rack.
> Maybe there is a way to set the default state?

I have a power strip myself with one on/off switch, which turns all devices on and off. Assuming the UCX II has the same implementation like ADI-2 Pro FS R BE and 12Mic then the power state is being remembered, so it should power-on as soon as you remotely power on your power strip.

BR Ramses - UFX III, 12Mic, XTC, ADI-2 Pro FS R BE, RayDAT, X10SRi-F, E5-1680v4, Win10Pro22H2, Cub13

9 (edited by Manuel 2021-12-25 20:26:04)

ramses wrote:

Hi Manuel,

> Looking at that spreadsheet it looks like the UCX II also features power-on pop suppression

oh sorry then I had this wrong in my mind.

> I see, however, that the UCX II does not have a mechanical power switch like the old UCX or the UFX;
> instead, it the data knob is held down for 2 sec. to power on and off. Do you know if the default state is OFF
> when the power supply is connected? This matters because I power the gear in my rack using a remote control.
> If the default state is OFF, this will be no good, as I'll still have to reach for the UCX knob on the rack.
> Maybe there is a way to set the default state?

I have a power strip myself with one on/off switch, which turns all devices on and off. Assuming the UCX II has the same implementation like ADI-2 Pro FS R BE and 12Mic then the power state is being remembered, so it should power-on as soon as you remotely power on your power strip.

Yep, I just read another post by MC (see my previous post just now, you preempted me!) where he says it remembers the last used power state, so that's all good stuff.

ramses wrote:

That's true and I agree, but doesn't it also mean whatever is generating all that heat is even hotter inside the case? I'm pretty sure it doesn't matter because RME have shown many times they know what they are doing, but generally speaking less heat is usually a good thing. I've never measured my FF400 but it was a cause for concern because I used to live in South East Asia when I had it and it got pretty hot there, so I ended up attaching two small computer case fans to the sides of the FF400 (with a dust filter) to keep it running cool.

Which RME interface(s) do you currently have?

10 (edited by ramses 2021-12-25 21:19:15)

> Which RME interface(s) do you currently have?

UFX+------12Mic, Octamic XTC
|  |
|  +---------ADI-2 Pro FS R BE----> Active Monitors/Phones (Recording)
|
+------------ADI-2 Pro FS R BE ---> HiFi

RayDAT, but currently not in use.

See also: https://www.tonstudio-forum.de/blog/ind … -DURec-DE/

Overview about Setup:

https://www.tonstudio-forum.de/index.php/Attachment/2703-05-UFX-in-Current-Setup-jpg/

11 (edited by Manuel 2021-12-25 21:52:42)

ramses wrote:

> Which RME interface(s) do you currently have?

UFX+------12Mic, Octamic XTC
|  |
|  +---------ADI-2 Pro FS R BE----> Active Monitors/Phones (Recording)
|
+------------ADI-2 Pro FS R BE ---> HiFi

RayDAT, but currently not in use.

See also: https://www.tonstudio-forum.de/blog/ind … -DURec-DE/

OK that's some serious set-up smile Comparing the various RME devices you own, how do they compare heat wise? If you have experience with the FF400, how does it compare against the new ones in terms of heat generation?

12 (edited by ramses 2021-12-25 22:55:08)

Temperatures are not a problem, just make sure that the heat does not build up or accumulate by stacking several units in a rack.

Just leave some space above and below each unit so that the heat from each unit can be dissipated by airflow and not accumulate.

I have my 2 multi-effects that hardly gets warm in a 2RU rack directly above each other.

UFX+, XTC and 12Mic have more I/O ports, features, better technical specs and of course produce a little bit more heat because of that. But the devices are designed for this purpose.

So you just have to e.g. dimension the rack accordingly. I have installed the three units in a rack with 4 RU height and that's it.

ramses wrote:

Temperatures are not a problem, just make sure that the heat does not build up or accumulate by stacking several units in a rack.

Just leave some space above and below each unit so that the heat from each unit can be dissipated by airflow and not accumulate.

I have my 2 multi-effects that hardly gets warm in a 2RU rack directly above each other.

UFX+, XTC and 12Mic have more I/O ports, features, better technical specs and of course produce a little bit more heat because of that. But the devices are designed for this purpose.

So you just have to e.g. dimension the rack accordingly. I have installed the three units in a rack with 4 RU height and that's it.

Thanks, will do.

14 (edited by Thermaltake 2021-12-26 17:39:17)

Manuel wrote:
Thermaltake wrote:

Now I got myself UCX and this card is not heating at all, I was amazed. I also have unit on cork plugs like I did FF400.

UCX or UCX II? Still sounds promising. I swear I could fry eggs on my FF400. I put another small piece of gear on top of it that had rubber feet and the feet got stuck to the FF400 from the heat, leaving marks that I was never able to clean off (basically the rubber and the FF400 paint must have reacted somehow).

UCX II my bad. I corrected.