1 (edited by dokev 2021-12-26 21:48:16)

Topic: Recording TotalMix Track Mutes into Ableton (UFX+)

I have a UFX+ that I use to record my outboard gear into Ableton (among other things). For my workflow it would be very useful if I could make it so Ableton receives silence from an input when the corresponding track is muted in TotalMix. Of course, Ableton receives the signal at the analog input regardless of whether the corresponding TotalMix track is muted or not, since mutes are relative to submixes. My question is, is there a way that I can achieve this? One thought I had was routing the analog inputs to unused MADI tracks and using loopback, which I'm pretty sure would work: is there a simpler solution though?

2 (edited by ramses 2021-12-26 22:15:21)

Re: Recording TotalMix Track Mutes into Ableton (UFX+)

Not 100% sure whether there is a better option.

At least you could use loopback, because it's implemented post-fader.
So if you enable loopback on an HW output and mute the output, then the corresponding input will get no audio.
Mute will be active beacuse of post-fader implementation.

See also my blog article about loopback implementation and the list of interfaces how loopback is implemented (got that info from the manuals).

https://www.tonstudio-forum.de/blog/ind … ion-EN-DE/

List of USB/FW/TB recording interfaces, see line "Loopback implementation"
https://www.tonstudio-forum.de/index.ph … -04b-xlsx/

BR Ramses - UFX III, 12Mic, XTC, ADI-2 Pro FS R BE, RayDAT, X10SRi-F, E5-1680v4, Win10Pro22H2, Cub13

Re: Recording TotalMix Track Mutes into Ableton (UFX+)

Yeah, the more I think about it, the more it makes sense to just set up a workspace with everything additionally routed to MADI tracks (thank god I've got so many of these on the UFX+) and record through an Ableton session where the tracks are pointed at those instead of the analog ins. I think I was just hoping there would be a super simple option I could tick so I wouldn't have to redo all my tracking templates!

Thanks so much for linking your article, it looks really great - I've been curious about how loopback actually works the whole time I've had the interface.