Re: Firmware Update ADI-2 DAC 66 / 47 and ADI-2 Pro 259 / 111

mopomiso wrote:

Just one more cheeky request: Would personally prefer an increased size of the Enable ON / OFF (BT,LD,EQ) box, when it flashes up. Have to squint a bit to see it from over a metre or so. Failing that, could you supply me a new pair of young eyes :-)  Danke.

When it's ON, the box is green smile It helps!

ADI-2 DAC (with stock PSU) - Neumann KH 310 A monitors - Cheap USB and XLR cables

52 (edited by mopomiso 2021-12-28 20:18:33)

N00b wrote:

Thanks, you are indeed correct. The 'green' shade is barely discernable, tbh, but I can see the difference now that I know to look. Still getting familiar with the DAC, and thanks again!

I have a few glasses lying around, though.

smile

Regards
Matthias Carstens
RME

thanks for the offer big_smile

Installed the update and everything working great so far.

Now I have to praise. I got my new device yesterday and immediately updated it with new firmware.
I do my job testing with third party devices and making updates is a normal routine.
Upgrading with this ADI-2 DAC was easy and smooth! smile

mopomiso wrote:
N00b wrote:

Thanks, you are indeed correct. The 'green' shade is barely discernable, tbh, but I can see the difference now that I know to look. Still getting familiar with the DAC, and thanks again!

I agree here, it's VERY subtle change in color when it's toggled on/off. Though I've seen pictures/videos of it being way more green that it is on mine..

I would like to be able to switch/toggle between the different top screens by using the remote.

In the ADI-2 Pro FS R BE manual I found the information: "Pushing the small encoder 1 or 2 while any meter screen is active cycles through all meter screens. To quickly call them up simply press any of the 4 buttons one or two times."

How is this supposed to work ?
Whatever key I push on the remote triggers a function but doesn't change to another top screen.
I use key remapping for key 2-4, key 1 is not mapped.
But whatever key I press on the remote, it doesn't issue a switching or to recall a certain top screen.

Yesterday I had the State Overview dialed in on the ADI-2 Pro FS R BE in front of my HiFi.
I would have regarded as very useful to use the remote to switch it back from State Overview to
e.g.: Dark Volume or Analyzer Screen.

What magic trick that I am missing or could it be, that it doesn't work in firmware v 111 ?

BR Ramses - UFX III, 12Mic, XTC, ADI-2 Pro FS R BE, RayDAT, X10SRi-F, E5-1680v4, Win10Pro22H2, Cub13

58 (edited by beat8000 2021-12-29 14:38:22)

For the next FW update I also have a suggestion:
If the selected source is Analog In and Basic mode is DAC would it be possible to set the sample rate automatically or manually to 192 kHz for the internal clock?
At the moment the last USB sample rate is used. I assume that the sound quality of the analog output could be still improved with the highest sample rate. However I haven't done a sound comparison for this use case so far.

Win10 Pro, ADI-2 Pro, Basis 1, Adam A3X; RL 906; Grace M902B, Glockenklang Bugatti, Strauss SE-NF-3

ramses wrote:

I would like to be able to switch/toggle between the different top screens by using the remote.

In the ADI-2 Pro FS R BE manual I found the information: "Pushing the small encoder 1 or 2 while any meter screen is active cycles through all meter screens. To quickly call them up simply press any of the 4 buttons one or two times."

How is this supposed to work ?
Whatever key I push on the remote triggers a function but doesn't change to another top screen.
I use key remapping for key 2-4, key 1 is not mapped.
But whatever key I press on the remote, it doesn't issue a switching or to recall a certain top screen.

Yesterday I had the State Overview dialed in on the ADI-2 Pro FS R BE in front of my HiFi.
I would have regarded as very useful to use the remote to switch it back from State Overview to
e.g.: Dark Volume or Analyzer Screen.

What magic trick that I am missing or could it be, that it doesn't work in firmware v 111 ?

You can map your n°1 remote key on "Toggle view".

And for what I understand:

To quickly call them up simply press any of the 4 buttons one or two times.

For me, the text is about the 4 keys on the unit (Vol/IO/EQ/Setup). If you press the "Set up" key, you go to the set up. If you press it again, you go back on the top screen you were on before.

ADI-2 DAC (with stock PSU) - Neumann KH 310 A monitors - Cheap USB and XLR cables

N00b wrote:

You can map your n°1 remote key on "Toggle view".

Aaah yes ... that it was. Thanks N00b :-)

BR Ramses - UFX III, 12Mic, XTC, ADI-2 Pro FS R BE, RayDAT, X10SRi-F, E5-1680v4, Win10Pro22H2, Cub13

loving the new Orange meters on ADI-2 DAC, didn't expect that one!

reading through changelog I got intrigued by post-FX Loopback features, luckily I found the pre-FX Loopback option remains smile
that said - I'm not sure if Loopback settings and DC Protection shouldn't be placed in "Setup" instead of "I/O" but that's merely a convenience thing

Happy new Year and fingers crossed for steady supply of interface components wink

HDSPe AIO, ADI-2 DAC, Fireface UFX, Octamic D, Octamic II
Reaper, High Sierra

You missed that DCP can be enabled/deactivated per output. I/O is the only logical place therefore.

Regards
Matthias Carstens
RME

63 (edited by ramses 2022-01-01 17:43:36)

It would be helpful to display the value of B/T when turning via the remote.
Need to adjust the level of Bass from >3m distance, no chance to see something on the display.
That would be very useful as I need to adjust Bass when watching some movies with heavy bass.

ramses wrote:

It would be helpful to display the value of B/T when turning via the remote.
Need to adjust the level of Bass from >3m distance, no chance to see something on the display.
That would be very useful as I need to adjust Bass when watching some movies with heavy bass.

It does. It depends on what top screen you are set.

aaah ok, thanks, nice hint :-)

66 (edited by Johannes AU 2022-01-02 05:26:04)

ramses wrote:

aaah ok, thanks, nice hint :-)

ramses, at the remote, when you press  B+, B-, T+, T-, L, R will show at main screen (at spectrum analyzer screen, even Auto Dark on) with large character, not at Dark Volume / Details page.

Pacifist, dumb, not stupid
Listen music out from a box which sounds
Reading words on paper/ screen

MC wrote:

Auto Standby. If this option is activated in the menu SETUP - Options - Device Mode (Pro) or SETUP - Options - SPDIF/DSD/Power (DAC), the unit monitors all outputs for audio. After 30 minutes without audio (defined as less than -70 dBFS) and user interaction the device enters standby mode.

Thanks RME for this and auto-dark mode - Happy 2022!

Eastwood Records
www.eastwoodrecords.co.uk

mjfe87 wrote:
MC wrote:

Auto Standby. If this option is activated in the menu SETUP - Options - Device Mode (Pro) or SETUP - Options - SPDIF/DSD/Power (DAC), the unit monitors all outputs for audio. After 30 minutes without audio (defined as less than -70 dBFS) and user interaction the device enters standby mode.

Thanks RME for this and auto-dark mode - Happy 2022!

Auto Standby is a new feature, brings the whole unit to standby after 30 mins of no activity at the controls and/or no audio, while Auto Dark is the LCD screen goes dark automatically if no controls input.

beat8000 wrote:

If the selected source is Analog In and Basic mode is DAC would it be possible to set the sample rate automatically or manually to 192 kHz for the internal clock?
At the moment the last USB sample rate is used. I assume that the sound quality of the analog output could be still improved with the highest sample rate. However I haven't done a sound comparison for this use case so far.

+1. I am definitely too lazy to spin a hirez file via USB prior to listening to my LP‘s. Probably missing that o so tiny improvement!

john34 wrote:
beat8000 wrote:

+1. I am definitely too lazy to spin a hirez file via USB prior to listening to my LP‘s. Probably missing that o so tiny improvement!

Mode selection is irrelevant for sample rate whenever USB is plugged in. And there is no way the device can use another sample rate as the one currently selected by the driver because this is the way USB audio is designed to work.
USB must be inactive( ejected / unplugged) to make the sample rate manual choice available and the user setting is remembered when differing from the stock setting of 192kHz for standalone modes.

71 (edited by beat8000 2022-01-04 11:30:52)

KSTR wrote:
john34 wrote:
beat8000 wrote:

Mode selection is irrelevant for sample rate whenever USB is plugged in. And there is no way the device can use another sample rate as the one currently selected by the driver because this is the way USB audio is designed to work.
USB must be inactive( ejected / unplugged) to make the sample rate manual choice available and the user setting is remembered when differing from the stock setting of 192kHz for standalone modes.

Thank you for your help. I have just tested this case now in standalone mode and I think it's not possible to change the sample rate with Analog in and Basic mode DAC. However it works with Basic mode Preamp. I will define a separate setup e.g. for Analog listening tests.

Win10 Pro, ADI-2 Pro, Basis 1, Adam A3X; RL 906; Grace M902B, Glockenklang Bugatti, Strauss SE-NF-3

Great update!

Minor feature request: a dim function for the white illumination for power/volume/buttons would be great, to adjust/match the brightness to that of the display. My personal preference is to have it pretty dim (but not off) for evening listening.

I do understand that it may not possible to do that if the HW isn't build in a way to support this.
Thanks for considering!

Updated to this release yesterday. Went happily playing music on Spotify until, all of the sudden, the new DC detection triggered. Power cycled the DAC, same issue. Went checking Windows 10 audio settings. Flipped from USB to Optical. Same thing. Then the next track started and everything came back. Went to play the previous track and bam! DC detected! The track is W.A.R.H.E.A.D (C64) - Response of Darklite at https://open.spotify.com/track/3dAwN0MX … 44c66407e. Also triggered by: https://open.spotify.com/track/3vnKP7dB … 7e377f4358

Definitely new. smile I've been stuck on my old Amiga/C64 music for months. This is the first time I've countered this. smile

hempi23 wrote:

Minor feature request: a dim function for the white illumination for power/volume/buttons would be great, to adjust/match the brightness to that of the display. My personal preference is to have it pretty dim (but not off) for evening listening.

I do understand that it may not possible to do that if the HW isn't build in a way to support this.

I have a small list of feature requests of things which would work better for me (related: is there a preferred dedicated thread where this should be posted, is this one ok, or a new one?), and this one is probably be at the top.

While listening I'd either want no light at all, so AutoDark (as far as I'm concerned even the internal LEDs on the PCB can go though I understand that's a bit far fetched), or one of the top screens (usually the analyzer). I have no use at all for the LEDs on the buttons.

Likewise the power button's red "the LED is on to indicate it is powered off" state is of no use to me, and a distraction because the ADI is in the center of my desk.

75 (edited by Johannes AU 2022-01-08 06:05:50)

eleweit wrote:
hempi23 wrote:

I have a small list of feature requests of things which would work better for me (related: is there a preferred dedicated thread where this should be posted, is this one ok, or a new one?), and this one is probably be at the top.

While listening I'd either want no light at all, so AutoDark (as far as I'm concerned even the internal LEDs on the PCB can go though I understand that's a bit far fetched), or one of the top screens (usually the analyzer). I have no use at all for the LEDs on the buttons.

Likewise the power button's red "the LED is on to indicate it is powered off" state is of no use to me, and a distraction because the ADI is in the center of my desk.

It is hard to satisfy all needs from different users, one ask for dimmer red/white (but how dim?), some want it off... if it is off, it looks like auto dark unless sound produced from speakers otherwise you do not know it is powererd off or not, how about IEM connected?

At the moment, disconnect the PSU if the red button is not your taste ..... but then another will ask, how do I know it is powered off or at Auto dark? ...... Oh no ....

76 (edited by eleweit 2022-01-08 10:02:53)

I'm aware of all aspects you mention. Feature requests serve as feedback, if it doesn't ever get posted there's no feedback and no corresponding advancement. Features like AutoDark came to life because of multiple requests, I can only hope enough others think the 'only display on but not the buttons' is a nice thing to have.

At the moment, disconnect the PSU if the red button is not your taste

Yup that's what I'm doing multiple times a day.

otherwise you do not know it is powererd off or not

The human brain has a memory for remembering things smile

My preferences would be:
- a dimmer white when auto-dark engages to easily see the device is still on/active.
- a dimmer red in standby as it really is bright. I like to have a feedback in standby that power is actually applied.

IMHO that would be a very clear display strategy:
- any shade of white : device active
- any shade of red : device powered but in standby
- off : device unpowered

At the moment I find it counter-intuitive as "all off" represent two states, actually unpowered or active but auto-darked.

I don't know if it is any feasible to implement PWM brightness control for the LEDs but if so, it could even be made adjustable...

OTOH, when there is the question what features might have preference when resources are limited and we cannot have them all, I'd always sacrifice those nice-to-have "convenience options" for things that really do something essential.

KSTR wrote:

OTOH, when there is the question what features might have preference when resources are limited and we cannot have them all, I'd always sacrifice those nice-to-have "convenience options" for things that really do something essential.

Obviously yes, and I'm pretty sure the people at RME follow these guidelines as well smile

eleweit wrote:

I'm aware of all aspects you mention. Feature requests serve as feedback, if it doesn't ever get posted there's no feedback and no corresponding advancement. Features like AutoDark came to life because of multiple requests, I can only hope enough others think the 'only display on but not the buttons' is a nice thing to have.

At the moment, disconnect the PSU if the red button is not your taste

Yup that's what I'm doing multiple times a day.

otherwise you do not know it is powererd off or not

The human brain has a memory for remembering things smile

I agree. smile

80 (edited by Johannes AU 2022-01-08 10:09:25)

KSTR wrote:

My preferences would be:
- a dimmer white when auto-dark engages to easily see the device is still on/active.
- a dimmer red in standby as it really is bright. I like to have a feedback in standby that power is actually applied.

At the moment I find it counter-intuitive as "all off" represent two states, actually unpowered or active but auto-darked.

I don't know if it is any feasible to implement PWM brightness control for the LEDs but if so, it could even be made adjustable...

Good idea and I 2nd it, but don't know if it is limited by hardware or not.

Johannes AU wrote:
KSTR wrote:

My preferences would be:

MC told us many times that it is indeed limited by hardware smile

N00b wrote:
Johannes AU wrote:
KSTR wrote:

My preferences would be:

Oh I see, then we have to live with it......

N00b wrote:

MC told us many times that it is indeed limited by hardware.

Well, currently the LEDs can be switched off and on at will, for the latest Pro at least (and maybe for newer DAC models -- don't remember) --> PWM dim is theoretically possible for those.

84 (edited by KaiS 2022-01-08 11:52:14)

Johannes AU wrote:
N00b wrote:
Johannes AU wrote:

Not exactly what is asked for but a working work-around:

If the power LED is too bright, take a permanent felt pen and paint it darker.
This is how we do it in the recording studio, for example with active monitorspeaker’s LEDs that pierce into our eyes.

You can even be creative and give it the tint you like to have it.

85 (edited by ning 2022-01-08 12:14:15)

KSTR wrote:
N00b wrote:

MC told us many times that it is indeed limited by hardware.

Well, currently the LEDs can be switched off and on at will, for the latest Pro at least (and maybe for newer DAC models -- don't remember) --> PWM dim is theoretically possible for those.

The chip to control the power switch and illumination is an ATMega (AVR) controller, not FPGA (which is completely off when standby).
There's way to update the controller chip with a customized firmware but it requires physically open up the case and use a AVR programmer.
I don't think RME will support users doing that.

In addition, part of the behavior is done in hardware circuits so not updatable. The circuit also changes between versions and are completely different. unlike the front display/encoder circuit board, you cannot connect a ADI-2 Pro FS front LED board to the ADI-2 Pro FS R mainboard --- the LED won't work.
So this is not possible.

86 (edited by Johannes AU 2022-01-08 12:16:32)

KaiS wrote:
Johannes AU wrote:
N00b wrote:

Not exactly what is asked for but a working work-around:

If the power LED is too bright, take a permanent felt pen and paint it darker.
This is how we do it in the recording studio, for example with active monitorspeaker’s LEDs that pierce into our eyes.

You can even be creative and give it the tint you like to have it.

While the button is not a protruding one, a small piece (20x20mm) of black non woven fabic stick on it will work.

ning wrote:
KSTR wrote:

The chip to control the power switch and illumination is an ATMega (AVR) controller, not FPGA (which is completely off when standby).
There's way to update the controller chip with a customized firmware but it requires physically open up the case and use a AVR programmer.
I don't think RME will support users doing that.

In addition, part of the behavior is done in hardware circuits so not updatable. The circuit also changes between versions and are completely different. unlike the front display/encoder circuit board, you cannot connect a ADI-2 Pro FS front LED board to the ADI-2 Pro FS R mainboard --- the LED won't work.
So this is not possible.

@Ning, I know the implementation details, having reverse-engineered the Pro FS and FS R extensively ;-)
For the Pro FS R it could be possible, though, as the LEDs are switchable from the FPGA side. I don't know whether the LED switch-off for auto-dark is coupled to the supply of the display and center LED ring, though. As said, in the end it's all a non-issue.

As for that supervisor uC, having no option to update it's firmware from the main system side at runtime is sort of a design failure though I see the obvious reasons why they did it this way (added HW and SW complexity).
I went through exactly this at my current company where I had to retrofit that feature so our units can be updated in the field now for the supervisor section...

88 (edited by ning 2022-01-08 13:28:03)

KSTR wrote:

For the Pro FS R it could be possible, though, as the LEDs are switchable from the FPGA side. I don't know whether the LED switch-off for auto-dark is coupled to the supply of the display and center LED ring, though.

I know the light is switchable by FPGA but my guess is FPGA informs the controller and the controller controls the light. In this case making FPGA outputting PWM won't work.  I didn't reverse engineer the lighting part but i guess that's the case. Early versions of Pro use a simpler AVR controller and later versions use a more versatile one. There must be some reason to that and I guess it needs to get more inputs (such as from the FPGA).

reelmccoy wrote:

Updated to this release yesterday. Went happily playing music on Spotify until, all of the sudden, the new DC detection triggered. Power cycled the DAC, same issue. Went checking Windows 10 audio settings. Flipped from USB to Optical. Same thing. Then the next track started and everything came back. Went to play the previous track and bam! DC detected! The track is W.A.R.H.E.A.D (C64) - Response of Darklite at https://open.spotify.com/track/3dAwN0MX … 44c66407e. Also triggered by: https://open.spotify.com/track/3vnKP7dB … 7e377f4358

Definitely new. smile I've been stuck on my old Amiga/C64 music for months. This is the first time I've countered this. smile

But not surprising, as the Analyzer clearly shows up to -11 dBFS DC with Tik-Tiki-Tak. Link for listening/testing:

https://response.darklite.org/track/tik … e-tiki-100

Regards
Matthias Carstens
RME

First I want to say thanks for the new firmware. Really nice features and improvements as always with RME gear.

One thing thats bugs me though is the Auto standby. A smart and wellcomed function, but 30 mins is way to short imho. For random work on my computer the device just turns itself off before I need it. For music listening it works as intended. This feature should have at least 60 mins, or be adjustable with some steps from 30 to 180 mins. Is this possible to get in the next firmware?

For now I just gonna have to switch it off.

ADI-2 DAC, ADI-2 PRO, DigifaceUSB, UCXII, ARC, HEGEL.h80, KEF.ls50, HD650, ie400pro _,.\''/.,_

Don't worry, done already....

Regards
Matthias Carstens
RME

Nice smile

ADI-2 DAC, ADI-2 PRO, DigifaceUSB, UCXII, ARC, HEGEL.h80, KEF.ls50, HD650, ie400pro _,.\''/.,_

As using USB multichannel and ASIO...

In case I play on spdif channels, nothing see in spdif state view....

arggg option Digital Out Source - Main Out. is ON, Setting to default it will play on spdif output...

IMHO spdif out as playing should be always ON!

Why should it be on when you intentionally/manually turned it off?

Regards
Matthias Carstens
RME

MC wrote:

Why should it be on when you intentionally/manually turned it off?

Hmm, may an understanding or feature meaning:

If I play SPDIF, only SPDIF gets the signal by default. If Main is ON, feed it to the Mains (Analog) too big_smile

There is no such signal detection or usage detection in hardware, nor do I think such a feature would bring more comfort than confusion. Additionally that is a totally different routing suggestion than what the hardware does right now. See the block diagrams in chapter Modes in the manual. Try to add your suggestion to those diagrams...

Regards
Matthias Carstens
RME

97 (edited by Johannes AU 2022-01-11 05:55:46)

MC wrote:

Don't worry, done already....

Nice!

By the way, the current (English Version) DAC manual 2.9,
Page 54, chapter 30.2 Analog Outputs,
RCA As output XLR, but: Output: 6.3 mm RCA jack, unbalanced

6.3mm is an error?

Good find, thanks.

Regards
Matthias Carstens
RME

MC wrote:

There is no such signal detection or usage detection in hardware, nor do I think such a feature would bring more comfort than confusion. Additionally that is a totally different routing suggestion than what the hardware does right now. See the block diagrams in chapter Modes in the manual. Try to add your suggestion to those diagrams...

OK, IMHO what is wrong, if I switch this to mains that the USB-SPDIF 7-8 route gets OFF...

reading the diagram AS "The playback channels 5/6 and 7/8 can not be used anymore."

While the drawn USB Playback box has 5/6 & 7/8 IMHO direct connections USB-to digital out's... So I am missing where the switch is placed.

Read the text below the diagram, and look at the others - it's always in the same place.

Regards
Matthias Carstens
RME