Topic: New UCX II on it's way - Question on connecting my existing Multiface

All

Merry Christmas from chilly Canada!

After much study and a few false starts in my quest for a new audio interface upgrade - I decided to stay with what has served me well for over 10 years and ordered a new Fireface UCX II today. (Yahoo!)

This will be a massive upgrade from my trusty Multiface purchased new back in 2009. But I am hoping to keep the Multiface in  service by connecting it to the new UCX II (as master) via ADAT to allow use of it's existing 8 analog inputs.

I have never used ADAT before and I am unsure as to how to prep the machine and do the connections (On Windows 10) to ensure TotalMix can address both the Multiface AND the UCX II as seamlessly as possible - and get access to the 8 analog ins from the Multiface.

Could use a quick overview of best practices on what to do (and in what order) to get these two interfaces working together once the UCX II arrives.

Cheers!

VP

Re: New UCX II on it's way - Question on connecting my existing Multiface

THE Multiface can't store Totalmix therefor you have to set it up on a running computer and keep it under power, you can disconnect it from the computer after the Totalmix is configured but as soon it loses the power the Totalmix is lost and you have to redo the procedur.

You only need two adat toslink cabes.
Fireface settings in Multiface, clock-source adat optical
Fireface settings UcX ll clock-source internal
Configure the Multiface Totalmix this way :
All analog inputs route to adat outputs
All adat inputs route to analog outputs
All software playback channels, nothing to route as there will be no signal anyway.

M1-Sequoia, Madiface Pro, Digiface USB, Babyface silver and blue

Re: New UCX II on it's way - Question on connecting my existing Multiface

waedi wrote:

THE Multiface can't store Totalmix therefor you have to set it up on a running computer and keep it under power, you can disconnect it from the computer after the Totalmix is configured but as soon it loses the power the Totalmix is lost and you have to redo the procedur.

You only need two adat toslink cabes.
Fireface settings in Multiface, clock-source adat optical
Fireface settings UcX ll clock-source internal
Configure the Multiface Totalmix this way :
All analog inputs route to adat outputs
All adat inputs route to analog outputs
All software playback channels, nothing to route as there will be no signal anyway.

Thanks for update - and of course a question or two on that...

To clarify - I have a Multiface II vs a Multiface I - and I have read(with many differing opinions) that v2 "could" store Totalmix or at least remain normal as it is now as long as I leave the PCIe card in the machine and do nothing else.

So I if simply left the Multiface II as it is in the PC and changed nothing - I am assuming I will be able to set it as above and carry on with 8 additonal ADAT Ins/Outs to the UCX II?

I did a bit of reading about Disconnect mode as well - I am understanding that could be a option but do not quite understand the preparation phase of this (assuming set up the same as above) but then do I remove the Multiface Driver? Clearly I cannot remove the PCIe card due to a lack of power but without an original power supply - I am thinking my only option for success is to leave the Multiface as it is now, add in the UCX II and complete the configuration with two fully installed RME Units?

Does this make sense?

VP