1 (edited by skhan007 2021-12-25 18:25:48)

Topic: [Solved] Hi-Res Blu-ray audio limited to 48 kHz, ADI-2 DAC FS

Hello All,

First post and happy RME ADI2 owner here!

I'm having a great deal of difficultly listening to hi-res Blu Ray audio through my ADI2. My discs are 24/96 resolution, but the clock on my ADI2 states I'm receiving 24/48 and sometimes 16/48. My two Blu Ray players produce the same results (Sony BDP 6500 and Panasonic DMP-BDT360) no matter what settings I choose on the player and with both coax and optical connections.

I'm hoping to find out what hardware/player you all use to get proper 24/96 resolution, as intended by the discs and what connection (coax, optical) you are using. I'm completely at a loss and hope to get some help & recommendations.

Lastly, I learned of a device called and HDMI extractor, which will take the HDMI signal from a Blu Ray player, extract the hi-res audio, and allow you to route it via optical or coax. Not sure if this is a solution?

Cheers!!

2 (edited by ramses 2021-12-25 14:49:51)

Re: [Solved] Hi-Res Blu-ray audio limited to 48 kHz, ADI-2 DAC FS

ADI-2
ADI-2 FS
ADI-2 DAC FS
ADI-2 Pro FS [R BE]
are all different products, could you kindly cross check which of those you have and confirm here in this thread? Thanks.

Please detail how the devices are connected to each other.
What is the exact player / signal chain where you see "what exactly".

If you should own an ADI-2 DAC or Pro FS then you can see sample rate and bit depth in the State Overview display.

Basically there is no difference whether you play through
- ADAT / Optical SPDIF
- Coaxial SPDIF
I read that equipment using coaxial SPDIF usually only uses up to 20bits but optional also 24bits if supported by the player.

I see an advantage in using optical connections e.g. ADAT or SPDIF because of the galvanic separation of devices or to use AES.

BR Ramses - UFX III, 12Mic, XTC, ADI-2 Pro FS R BE, RayDAT, X10SRi-F, E5-1680v4, Win10Pro22H2, Cub13

3 (edited by skhan007 2021-12-25 14:53:18)

ramses wrote:

ADI-2
ADI-2 FS
ADI-2 DAC FS
ADI-2 Pro FS [R BE]
are all different products, could you kindly cross check which of those you have and confirm here in this thread? Thanks.

Please detail how the devices are connected to each other.
What is the exact player / signal chain where you see "what exactly".

If you should own an ADI-2 DAC or Pro FS then you can see sample rate and bit depth in the State Overview display.

I have the ADI-2 DAC.

Set up: Panasonic DMP-BDT360 Blu Ray player optical out to ADI-2 DAC. Blu Ray player HDMI out to tv set.

Sample rate & bit depth: Yes, the state overview reads 16/48 or 24/28, but not the 24/96 intended by the Blu Ray discs I'm playing. It says SPo sync 48 cons 16 right now, as I'm playing a Blu Ray disc with audio tracks in 24/96.

Hope this helps.

4 (edited by ramses 2021-12-25 15:02:20)

Then the audio that you receive from the Panasonic BluRay player through optical SPDIF has only 48 kHz / 16 Bit.
Not all BluRays have audio content with a higher sample rate and bitdepth.

BTW you can also use a 4:1 TOSLINK switcher like this with a remote to switch between four optical sources in front of the ADI-2 DAC FS: https://www.amazon.de/Oehlbach-XXL-HDMI … &psc=1

BR Ramses - UFX III, 12Mic, XTC, ADI-2 Pro FS R BE, RayDAT, X10SRi-F, E5-1680v4, Win10Pro22H2, Cub13

BTW ..
Did you read, a new firmware is out: https://forum.rme-audio.de/viewtopic.ph … 59#p180059

Youtube video about new functions and features: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=bu-gmCilV1w

6 (edited by Johannes AU 2021-12-25 15:14:50)

https://www.mypanasonic.ro/mypanasonic/ … 825507.pdf

At page 26 and 27, about PCM .... check if it is the cause, or as ramses said the Blueray disc is the problem ...

Pacifist, dumb, not stupid
Listen music out from a box which sounds
Reading words on paper/ screen

7 (edited by skhan007 2021-12-25 15:47:51)

Thank you all. I did read the manual and have made all of the settings they had recommended. The problem still persists.

I have several Blu-ray audio discs from different bands, all in 24/96. None of these discs play in 24/96 according to my DAC. Therefore, I know it’s not just a single disc producing the problem.

I have a couple of DVD-A disc that do correctly play in 24/96. Strange that the 24/96 blu ray discs do not.

I suppose I can do the firmware update, but I don’t know that it’s a firmware issue.

Back to my original question… Do any of you have a player that actually plays 24/96 music connected to your ADI2 DAC? I may just buy a new player if I can identify one that is recommended for this application.

Happy to post photos of discs, components, etc., if any of you feel that would be helpful. Very grateful for your collective guidance and input!

Maybe you can rip to PC and play over USB. Even play from disc via mediaplayer.

ADI-2 DAC, ADI-2 PRO, DigifaceUSB, UCXII, ARC, HEGEL.h80, KEF.ls50, HD650, ie400pro _,.\''/.,_

10 (edited by skhan007 2021-12-25 17:20:51)

Happy_amateur wrote:

That would be great- I don't know what's necessary (hardware or software) to rip Blu Ray audio to my Mac. The discs are obviously copy protected too, so there's that issue. Maybe an external Blu Ray player that connects to my Mac via USB? Then USB to my ADI2 DAC?

Someone on a different forum told me to buy a piece of hardware called an HDMI extractor and those run about $50 USD, so it seems like a cost-friendly first step.

Curious if new/high-end Blu Ray players will transfer hi-res audio over coax or optical. I see the Panasonic UB820 has good reviews, but I don't know if it's a solution to my problem.

skhan007 wrote:
Happy_amateur wrote:

That would be great- I don't know what's necessary (hardware or software) to rip Blu Ray audio to my Mac. The discs are obviously copy protected too, so there's that issue. Maybe an external Blu Ray player that connects to my Mac via USB? Then USB to my ADI2 DAC?

Someone on a different forum told me to buy a piece of hardware called an HDMI extractor and those run about $50 USD, so it seems like a cost-friendly first step.

Curious if new/high-end Blu Ray players will transfer hi-res audio over coax or optical. I see the Panasonic UB820 has good reviews, but I don't know if it's a solution to my problem.

Download manuals and check for specs ie. PCM output etc.

ADI-2 DAC, ADI-2 PRO, DigifaceUSB, UCXII, ARC, HEGEL.h80, KEF.ls50, HD650, ie400pro _,.\''/.,_

Happy_amateur wrote:
skhan007 wrote:
Happy_amateur wrote:

Download manuals and check for specs ie. PCM output etc.

Thank you Yes- did that. Post #7.

13 (edited by bejoro 2021-12-26 09:41:48)

It is a copy protection issue. Output of HiRes audio from Blurays is only allowed via HDMI with HDCP encryption.

A HDMI audio extractor is a solution. Look for a model with HDCP 2.2 support.

The usage of these devices is illegal in most countries. Therefore a detailed discussion of these devices will not be tolerated in this forum.

14 (edited by bejoro 2021-12-26 10:56:15)

HDMI Audio Extractor:
There are many legal and cheap models. They extract only the already on HDMI existing LowRes SPDIF signal to an external Toslink or RCA connector.

bejoro wrote:

HDMI Audio Extractor:
There are many legal and cheap models. They extract only the already on HDMI existing LowRes SPDIF signal to an external Toslink or RCA connector.

Thank you- I will give this a try!

16 (edited by Happy_amateur 2021-12-26 17:56:17)

bejoro wrote:

HDMI Audio Extractor:

Mr doubleOseven here wanted to enjoy his HIRES bluray discs with RME equipment. Not the lores version with a juridical lesson to go. Copy to HDD and HDMI extractors aint illegal in Norway.

17 (edited by bejoro 2021-12-26 19:08:02)

skhan007 wrote:
bejoro wrote:

HDMI Audio Extractor:

Sorry, maybe I explained it misleadingly.
HDMI proivides the LowRes signal on two lines on the connector.
The cheap versions of hdmi audio extractors do not provide the HiRes signal, only this LowRes signal that is already there on the connector.

The more expensive hdmi audio extractors decrypt HDCP 1.4/2.2 and extract the audio stream. If you select the HiRes stereo track of a BluRay you will get the HiRes audio on the Toslink/RCA connectors. These special versions of HDMI extractors are more expensive, because they use a special chipset for HDCP decryption. It is not easy to get this from the technical data of these extractors.

Lindy offers two extractors. One with HDCP 1.4 is known to work as an HiRes extractor. There is another one from Lindy with HDCP 2.2 support but I am not sure if it works as desired. I think you would have to try both versions. If both versions work as desired I would keep the HDCP 2.2 version.

I hope this helps.

Edit:
Lindy HDMI 4K Audio Extractor No. 38167
Lindy HDMI 18G Audio Extractor No. 38361

You also might ask the Lindy support.

Please let us know how it worked out. Thanks.

Happy_amateur wrote:
bejoro wrote:

HDMI Audio Extractor:

Mr doubleOseven here wanted to enjoy his HIRES bluray discs with RME equipment. Not the lores version with a juridical lesson to go. Copy to HDD and HDMI extractors aint illegal in Norway.

I might see if I can figure out/ obtain software that allows me to transfer my blu ray to my MacBook.

Quick update: I went to my local Best Buy (US audio/video store) and bought their HDMI Audio Extractor. Mixed results- For the Blu Ray music that should play in LPCM 24/96, but was playing in 16/48, it was upscaled to 24/48 (but not the 24/96 as intended).

When I put in a DVD-A that was previously playing at 24/96 properly, it was downscaled to 24/48. Really strange stuff happening here. I wish I could understand the science of digital audio to have an explanation as to why all this is going on. I'm going to return the HDMI extractor to Best Buy later today. Bummer.

@skhan007
Sorry for my misleading explanation.
Our two posts have overlapped.
Please check my previous post.
It explains why it did not work.

Did you connect a PC to your DAC?

ADI-2 Pro FS R BE

bejoro wrote:
skhan007 wrote:
bejoro wrote:

HDMI Audio Extractor:

Sorry, maybe I explained it misleadingly.
HDMI proivides the LowRes signal on two lines on the connector.
The cheap versions of hdmi audio extractors do not provide the HiRes signal, only this LowRes signal that is already there on the connector.

The more expensive hdmi audio extractors decrypt HDCP 1.4/2.2 and extract the audio stream. If you select the HiRes stereo track of a BluRay you will get the HiRes audio on the Toslink/RCA connectors. These special versions of HDMI extractors are more expensive, because they use a special chipset for HDCP decryption. It is not easy to get this from the technical data of these extractors.

Lindy offers two extractors. One with HDCP 1.4 is known to work as an HiRes extractor. There is another one from Lindy with HDCP 2.2 support but I am not sure if it works as desired. I think you would have to try both versions. If both versions work as desired I would keep the HDCP 2.2 version.

I hope this helps.

Edit:
Lindy HDMI 4K Audio Extractor No. 38167
Lindy HDMI 18G Audio Extractor No. 38361

You also might ask the Lindy support.

Please let us know how it worked out. Thanks.

Thank you- this is great information and I'm glad to hear this explanation. Much appreciated. I will look into the two Lindy units you've mentioned. Which one is the HDCP 1.4, the first one you listed? I'll see if I can find a US seller of these, as I'm not sure how costly returns would be internationally. Before I read your post, I ordered this one from Amazon and hope to see if it works. The description sounds like it would, but we'll see:

https://www.amazon.com/dp/B074HHSJVN/re … NrPXRydWU=

Pervasive_Silicon wrote:

Did you connect a PC to your DAC?

I did not. The signal chain is Blu Ray player into ADI-2 DAC via optical. Blu Ray HDMI out to tv.

I guess you‘ve connected your BlueRay Player via HDMI with your TV and use the optical out of the TV as the input to the ADI-2, correct?
Actually I‘ve got the the same setup and my LG OLED delivers exactly 48kHz, 24bit via Toslink. So maybe with your audio extractor you may get a higher data rate.

ADI-2 Pro FS R BE

Pervasive_Silicon wrote:

I guess you‘ve connected your BlueRay Player via HDMI with your TV and use the optical out of the TV as the input to the ADI-2, correct?
Actually I‘ve got the the same setup and my LG OLED delivers exactly 48kHz, 24bit via Toslink. So maybe with your audio extractor you may get a higher data rate.

I hope so. I’ll be sure to report back. Someone on another forum speculates that there’s a “bottleneck” or error happening with the ADI2 DAC, but I don’t think so. The DVD-A discs play at 24/96. Something is up with the Blu Ray discs, however.

25 (edited by bejoro 2021-12-27 10:41:01)

skhan007 wrote:

Thank you- this is great information and I'm glad to hear this explanation. Much appreciated. I will look into the two Lindy units you've mentioned. Which one is the HDCP 1.4, the first one you listed? I'll see if I can find a US seller of these, as I'm not sure how costly returns would be internationally. Before I read your post, I ordered this one from Amazon and hope to see if it works. The description sounds like it would, but we'll see:

Sorry, it is not always clear from the technical data whether it works. But from what I can see it is a model without HDCP decryption and LowRes audio only.

You might find information in an US audio forum or ask there, maybe audiosciencereview.
Otherwise you will have to try different models.

https://www.audiosciencereview.com/foru … ort.22840/

bejoro wrote:
skhan007 wrote:

Sorry, it is not always clear from the technical data whether it works. But from what I can see it is a model without HDCP decryption and LowRes audio only.

You might find information in an US audio forum or ask there, maybe audiosciencereview.
Otherwise you will have to try different models.

https://www.audiosciencereview.com/foru … ort.22840/

Great, thank you! That link actually was quite helpful. Cheers!

OK everyone, I have an update!

I was able to purchase a recommended audio extractor from Amazon called Cable Matters.

https://www.amazon.com/dp/B07VPRFQ5W?ps … ct_details

It was recommended in the link above from the audiosciencereview.com forum that @bejoro kindly posted. The person who recommended it on that thread had been through several units and found that this one worked. He was spot-on.

This tiny unit fits in the palm of your hand and takes up no space. I received it today, ran the optical out to my ADI2 DAC, connected the HDMI in and out cables, and immediately saw that my state overview was receiving the desired 24/96 resolution from my various discs. Per the instruction of the other forum thread, I have the selector on the extractor set to 5.1 even though I'm sending 2 channel audio to the DAC. It works! Very happy and as far as I can tell, this is the solution I've been seeking (and a very low-cost solution, as well)!

Thumbs up! 24/96 PCM is a kickass format!

skhan007 wrote:

I was able to purchase a recommended audio extractor from Amazon called Cable Matters.

It was recommended in the link above from the audiosciencereview.com forum that @bejoro kindly posted. The person who recommended it on that thread had been through several units and found that this one worked. He was spot-on.

This tiny unit fits in the palm of your hand and takes up no space. I received it today, ran the optical out to my ADI2 DAC, connected the HDMI in and out cables, and immediately saw that my state overview was receiving the desired 24/96 resolution from my various discs. Per the instruction of the other forum thread, I have the selector on the extractor set to 5.1 even though I'm sending 2 channel audio to the DAC. It works! Very happy and as far as I can tell, this is the solution I've been seeking (and a very low-cost solution, as well)!

Thank you for your feedback, very helpful.
Enjoy your music and Happy New Year.

skhan007 wrote:

Nice !!!

Enjoy the music smile

Pacifist, dumb, not stupid
Listen music out from a box which sounds
Reading words on paper/ screen