Topic: Two soundcard on windows

Hi , i have an Hdsp Aio (not Pro)
I want to buy a madi fx card to send 128 channel towards another daw.

If i use hdsp aio and madifx card on the same windows pc with nuendo,
can i use them simultaneously in nuendo? Using hdsp aio for input and the madifx as output?

Also i should clock the two cards to the same clock with an external clock?
Thank you

Re: Two soundcard on windows

> I want to buy a madi fx card to send 128 channel towards another daw
And the other DAW is on the same PC ?

> can i use them simultaneously in nuendo?
Can't work, different drivers.

> Using hdsp aio for input and the madifx as output?
Dont't understand that, these two cards have a completely different number of channels.

Sorry but some things are unclear and need further explanation, could you kindly provide a drawing or more complete explanation ?

Asking myself why you don't do e.g. an audio export of all tracks on DAW1 and then import the .wav files on DAW2.
Then this works with the full power of all CPUs and this is much faster compared to playback/record audio in real time.

BR Ramses - UFX III, 12Mic, XTC, ADI-2 Pro FS R BE, RayDAT, X10SRi-F, E5-1680v4, Win10Pro22H2, Cub13

3 (edited by freshandclean 2021-12-29 00:34:46)

The other daw is on another pc.

Ok, simultaneusly only a set of 3 hdsp on the same pc?
Its not the same driver using an hdspe aio + an hdspe madi?

As reported here https://gearspace.com/board/music-compu … me-pc.html
Also seems that madiface usb can be used along with hdsp aio, sharing the same driver.

Which card could i add to an hdsp aio pc, to have also 128 madi input or output ?
There isn t ? Or perhaps a standalone card may work ?

Im studying this setup https://learning.dolby.com/hc/en-us/art … 0052747092

And i m trying to use my hdsp aio as a base to upgrade towards DA.

I imagine : daw 1 (hdspe madi+ 2 hdsp aio with optional output add ons )
                 Daw 2 (hdspe madi)

Sending 128 ch via madi from daw 1 to daw 2 , then from daw 2 sending 12 channel of audio back to daw 1 via madi, then monitoring via daw1 with 2 hdsp aio

4 (edited by ramses 2022-01-03 08:42:45)

freshandclean wrote:

Ok, simultaneously only a set of 3 hdsp on the same pc?
Its not the same driver using an hdspe aio + an hdspe madi?

For future communication please use proper product names which you can take from RME product pages / webserver.
There are different cards with HDSPe in the name, but with different drivers, e.g. these two HDSPe cards with MADI support:
- HDSPe MADI        driver: "driver_hdsp_win..."
- HDSPe MADI FX   driver: "driver_pciefx_win..."

You make it difficult to understand / create a little confusion when using a) different and b) non-official product names:
- in post#1 you use "madi fx" and "madifx" as name.
- in post#3 you use "hdspe madi".

From your posts I deduce/assume "HDSPe MADI FX" with three MADI busses (if you need to exchange at least 128 channels between two PCs/DAWs, if I understood correctly.

BTW .. the HDSPe MADI FX got a separate driver of its own, which is optimizing resource consumption of the driver on your PC. It has an optimizing driver organizing the I/O ports in groups of 8, where driver resources are only allocated for those 8 ports, where at least one port is in use for audio.
Same for the USB recording interface MADIface XT but only for the E-PCIe port (not for USB3). E-PCIe is not so common on mainboard and would require an additional PCIe card which I think you should avoid to make things easier (not sure whether they are currently still available, esp. in this special corona situation, they are simply not so often being used).

To sum-up a few products and drivers

HDSPe MADI, AIO, AIO Pro                   : driver_hdsp_win...
HDSPe MAID FX, MADIface XT (E-PCIe): driver_pciefx_win...

I made some thoughts and have a proposal for you based on
- HDSPe MADI FX
- ADI-2 Pro FS R BE
- optional: ARC USB
see below.

If you should need something different, maybe also try to make such a drawing in ASCII to make things clearer.

freshandclean wrote:

Which card could i add to an hdsp aio pc, to have also 128 madi input or output ?

HDSPe MADI FX card (but this one has a different driver than the AIO or AIO Pro). The card is very flexible, has 3x MADI (2x optical, 1x bnc), AES, Analog out, FX chip (!), MIDI.

There is an optional expansion card available to get the 3rd port as optical ""Opto X", which is very practical as "optical" provides galvanic isolation and supports even longer distances.

freshandclean wrote:

Sending 128 ch via madi from daw 1 to daw 2 , then from daw 2 sending 12 channel of audio back to daw 1 via madi, then monitoring via daw1 with 2 hdsp aio

If I were you I would use a combination of HDSPe MADI FX and ADI-2 Pro FS R BE

The ADI-2 Pro FS R BE is the best that you can do for your monitoring section in terms of quality and features. By this you avoid any "different driver" problematic.
You will use the ADI-2 Pro FS R BE in standalone mode connected to the HDSPe MADI FX.
You can keep it connected through USB though to be able to perform firmware upgrades at any time or if you want to use it as USB DAC for DSD playback and what not in a different operation/routing mode.
It's possible to store different setups for different purposes and even to remap front keys to recall setups and many other things.

Regarding Clock / Quality of D/A conversion

The ADI-2 Pro FS refreshes any inbound clock signal (SteadyClock FS) and performs the D/A conversion in highest quality using its own FS clock.

See the RME Youtube videos in my blog article about:
- SteadyClock FS
- Extreme Power Headphone Outputs and
- Converter Shootout, ADI-2 Pro FS A/D comversion compared to Crane / Lavry Gold
-> https://www.tonstudio-forum.de/blog/ind … ses-EN-DE/

ADI-2 Pro FS R BE offers a lot of advantages for your setup, to put some examples:

• excellent ad da conversion

• support of four reference levels and a feature called auto reflevel that automatically chooses the optimum reference level so that SNR and dynamic is optimum over a much wider volume range (honours also B/T, PEQ and dynamic loudness settings in the calculation to select optimum reflevel)

• ear protection by slow ramp-up of volume when plugging phones or switching between monitors and phones

• "Bittest" to be able to perform an end to end test whether audio from a PC player was received lossless to ensure/check highest quality playback

• State Overview Display ideal for troubleshooting status of digital connections (Sync, Sample Rate, State, Bit depth)

• 5 band PEQ to compensate deficits of phones or hearing weakness, even  possible per channel

• B/T controls to compensate bass and treble for bigger differences in music material/masters

• dynamic loudness (as it should be!) so that music keeps it's body if you turn down the volume, customizeable

• support for DAD in case you want/need it

• different levels of crossfeed

• extreme power headphones outputs driving even phones that need a lot of power

• balanced mode for phones in case you want it

• useful status screens with the possibility to troubleshoot digital connections better

• SRC (sample rate converter) to connect devices with fix clock like DAT recorder

• two dac chips to connect and compare phones at the same type of da converter

• can act as a monitor controller for your monitoring section finalising the end volume  so that a 0dB fader setting in TM FX can not harm your ears and/or equipment just in case you performed no proper level matching eg using attenuators if needed.

• possibility to choose between different DA filter of your DAC for eg either most linear frequency courve or to use have an emphasis on other things of a little bit higher separation of certain percussive music instruments. These are only nuances and might depend on your room, equipment, etc (see one of KaiS's postings)

• remote control

• and even more

Here some more information about the ADI-2 Pro FS R BE from my blog:
- Model differences (I strongly recommend the Pro model here): https://www.tonstudio-forum.de/blog/ind … ses-EN-DE/
- Integration of ADI-2 DAC/PRO into your setup: https://www.tonstudio-forum.de/blog/ind … our-Setup/

For getting more ports, connect preamps and converters e.g. to the 3rd MADI bus

By using MADI bus 3 for this you do not get any potential offset between channels on MADI Bus 1+2 when connecting a different number of devices to the two different busses. Forwarding of audio from device to device in such a "chain" of devices needs a few samples time, see e.g. Octamic XTC manual for a few examples and depening on sample rate.

Some RME preamps devices can also being used as format converter: Octamic XTC (ADAT, 4xAES) and 12Mic (3xADAT).
Otherwise look at the other RME MADI products for AD/DA conversion or conversion between MADI and ADAT or AES.

ARC USB on both sides for more comfort operating TM FX and it's control room.

Example:

Note: HDSPe MADI FX on the left side is here the clock master for all connected digital devices in both rooms (left and right side). If you have a separate master clock in your studio, then you can also use this as clock master and connect e.g. the left HDSPe MADI FX through Word Clock (WC). The other devices learn the clock then through digital connections like MADI, AES, etc:

Room or Building 1-----------------------------------------------------| |------------------Room or Building 2
PC/DAW1                                                                                                        PC/DAW2
        +--ARC USB                                                                                                    +---ARC USB
HDSPe MADI FX (Clock Master)                                                                          HDSPe MADI FX (Clock Slave via MADI)
HDSPe MADI FX --- MADI1 (1..64)     --------------------------------------------------> (1..64)      MADI1  --- HDSPe MADI FX
HDSPe MADI FX --- MADI1 (1..64)     <-------------------------------------------------- (1..64)      MADI1  --- HDSPe MADI FX
HDSPe MADI FX --- MADI2 (65..128) --------------------------------------------------> (65..128)  MADI2  --- HDSPe MADI FX
HDSPe MADI FX --- MADI2 (65..128) <-------------------------------------------------  (65..128)  MADI2  --- HDSPe MADI FX
HDSPe MADI FX --- MADI3 (129...192) -----> XTC ----> 12Mic ---> M-32 Pro --> (129..192) MADI3 --- HDSPe MADI FX
HDSPe MADI FX --- MADI3 (129...192) <----- XTC <---- 12Mic <--- M-32 Pro ---- (129..192) MADI3 --- HDSPe MADI FX
  | |                                                                    | ||||         |||              |                                                             | |
  | |                                                                ADAT 4xAES 3xADAT   AD or DA                                                     | |
AES (IN+OUT)                                                                                                                                          AES (IN+OUT)
  | |                                                                                                                                                                     | |
  ++-ADI-2 Pro FS R BE---1/2(XLR)--> Active Monitors             Active Monitors <-- 1/2 --- ADI-2 Pro FS R BE------++
              "                    ---3/4(TRS)--> Headphones                 Headphones    <-- 3/4 ---       "
              "                  <-- SRC/ADAT--- DAT                                            DAT---ADAT/SRC---->  "
  (clock slave via AES IN)                                                                                                      (clock slave via AES IN)
Room or Building 1-----------------------------------------------------| |------------------Room or Building 2

In this example I intentionally connected the other MADI devices to the separate MADI Bus 3 of the HDSPe MADI FX. The forwarding of packets need a few samples latency. This I wanted to avoid for you in the connection between the two PC/DAW through MADI1+2.

More information about the HDSPe MADI FX

See product page or you can also see my review here: https://www.tonstudio-forum.de/blog/ind … Pro-FS-BE/
Direct link to the complete PDF: https://www.tonstudio-forum.de/index.ph … l-v1-1-pdf

Something about MADI

Optical MADI connections with OM3/4 Multimode can be up to 2km between each (!) of the MADI devices. If you have structured inhouse cabling, clarify whether its Multimode (OM3 or OM4) or whether its single mode which supports even 10km between each device (!). Patch cables are usually available up to 50m length which is already a lot, if you do not have structured inhouse cabling.

I would recommend to get the optional daughter card "Opto X" for HDSPe MADI FX, then your 3rd MADI bus will be optical which is nice, because it provides galvanic isolation for your setup which is IMHO a very good thing.

In case this is of interest for you:
- RME devices with optical MADI ports can be equipped on special order with Single Mode instead of Multimode, if this is a special requirement (because of inhouse cabling or distances).
- The newer RME devices like 12Mic or M-1610 Pro offer more flexibility, as you can choose single or multimode by getting the propper pluggable SFP module by separate purchase. This is easier and will surely go quicker compared to make a special HW order for e.g. HDSPe MADI FX or Opto X dauther card with Single Mode, which needs to be manufactured for you.

Final thoughts

This is just an idea based on my experience with RME setups and MADI.

If you like the above and want confidence then I recommend you to ask RME for validation, but then you should perhaps also detail your use cases and requirements clearly.

BR Ramses - UFX III, 12Mic, XTC, ADI-2 Pro FS R BE, RayDAT, X10SRi-F, E5-1680v4, Win10Pro22H2, Cub13

Ok , thank you
Yes i notice that i used the name of madifx instead of madi, now i understand the difference.

Your setup is a bit too much for my needed, thank you for the detailed answer.

If the second answer here https://www.forum.rme-audio.de/viewtopic.php?id=29294 is correct,

I could be able to use two madiface with the hdsp on the first daw , and a madi fx on the 2nd daw.

Can you confirm that the driver is the same ? Even if on the rme site the name is different ?

6 (edited by ramses 2021-12-29 23:22:26)

I do not understand what you mean, again you use invalid product names, there is no card named "madiface".

You do not need to take that many devices, this was just an example whats possible and what to take care of.
as it was not possible to combine the HDSPe MADI FX with e.g. the AIO as you planned.

7 (edited by freshandclean 2021-12-29 23:26:26)

Check the post i ve linked , you write “Madiface”, i reported from there. The correct name should be MADIface usb

I want know if its possible run a MADIface USB together an HDSPe AIO on the same windows pc together in the same Daw.

8 (edited by ramses 2021-12-30 09:04:01)

> Check the post i ve linked , you write “Madiface”, i reported from there. The correct name should be MADIface usb

Sorry, but I have no time to read other documents for you.

> I want know if its possible run a MADIface USB together an HDSPe AIO on the same windows pc together in the same Daw.

You can easily find this out yourself by looking to the RME product page, download area, whether drivers are the same or not. In this case even easy to guess, because USB and PCIe based products have per se different drivers, so the answer is no.

In your initial post you meantioned the HDSPe MADI FX card on your own.
Based on my previous post this is now a minumum solution:

HDSPe MADI FX (Clock Master)                                           HDSPe MADI FX (Clock Slave via MADI)
HDSPe MADI FX --- MADI1 (1..64)     ------------> (1..64)      MADI1  --- HDSPe MADI FX ---TRS(unbalanced)--->Monitoring
HDSPe MADI FX --- MADI1 (1..64)     <------------ (1..64)      MADI1  --- HDSPe MADI FX
HDSPe MADI FX --- MADI2 (65..128) ------------> (65..128)  MADI2  --- HDSPe MADI FX
HDSPe MADI FX --- MADI2 (65..128) <-----------  (65..128)  MADI2  --- HDSPe MADI FX
|                                                                                                                                                                   |
| AES
|
HDSPe AIO ---> monitors
                  ---> phones
(clock slave through AES IN)

On the right side: as the HDSPe MADI FX has an analog output (TRS stereo unbalanced) you can connect either headphones or monitors unbalanced (or even a monitor controller to make it switchable).

Note: as HDSPe and AIO have different drivers, you need to work with two TM FX instances and you can't route audio across these two separate instances of TM FX. But each of those cards has AES, so you can route audio from the HDSPe MADI FX (as main recording interface) through the AES port to the HDSPe AIO (and back if needed). Clock through AES.

Price for such the solution (2x HDSPe MADI FX PCIe card): ~€3000 plus cables (4xOM3, 1-2x AES).

Thank you,
Sorry for my imprecise writing, and thank you, you totally open my mind about the possibility to run different cards on the same system using digital audio or the same drivers.

You're welcome, don't worry.