Topic: Using "virtual" WDM for non-ASIO software with Fireface UCX II

I'm shopping for a new digital mixer, to replace TC Helicon GoXLR on my Windows 10 workstation, and would appreciate a sanity check if I understand TotalMix options for Fireface UCX II correctly.

To summarize, I need to separate my non-ASIO software into 3 distinct stereo channels, and forward the microphone with EQ and dynamics to the host computer - creating 3 "playback" WDM devices for the former, and 1 "recording" WDM device for the latter. TotalMix would be further used to then manage multiple monitoring mixes sent to, e.g., ADAT out and AES/EBU out.

Does the way I imagine using it, described below, is possible (or recommended, if you find it doable, but silly)?

1. Connect microphone via XLR on L1in, apply EQ and dynamics in TotalMix.

2. Set WDM devices to 4.

3. Enjoy the 1+2 recording device as the mic with DSP effects applied.

4. Use 3+4, 5+6, and 6+7 playback devices as outputs for non-ASIO software. I don't know if I should or shouldn't touch 1+2 because the mic is there.

5. Patch the "output" devices into my separate 2 monitoring mixes for ADAT out and AES/EBU out.

6. Optionally, if this doesn't mess with microphone channel, patch 3rd monitoring mix, "outputs"+microphone, into the front headphones out of the UCX.

2 (edited by ramses 2021-11-01 11:02:58)

Re: Using "virtual" WDM for non-ASIO software with Fireface UCX II

If I understood your demand correct, then all is possible with TM FX.

to 1)
EQ and Dynamics (EQ+D) can be used as insert for each HW input and output.
Default is that the recording signal remains unchanged.
In the input options of RME driver settings you can enable an option to record with EQ+D.

to 2)
4 WDM devices is no problem. You can enable as many WDM devices as you need (have I/O ports), but you should only activate them for ports where you need it. This reduces the CPU load during boot when these devices are being created dynamically. In the past (years ago) this could create issues if your CPU was weak and you had a recording interface with a lot of ports.

to 3)
Sounds to me same as 1), you will hear the EQ+D inserts only in your submix not in your recording and this default behaviour can be changed to have EQ+D also in the recording.

to 4)
If your application allow customization of sound device, no problem. But some applications only use the default sound device. I personally use:
- SW Playback 1/2 for non-ASIO aware audio
- SW Playback 3/4 for MusicBee (with ASIO driver)
- SW Playback 5/6 for games if they support also other sound devices than the Windows default sound device

to 5)
Absolutely no problem. You can route any audio from HW inputs and SW playbacks to any HW Output.

to 6)
same as 5, see above. Each HW output can get an individual submix of its own.
And if you want to record this submix, you can use loopback so that you can record on the corresponding HW input.
What if the corresponding HW input is in use ?
Well then duplicate the submix to another HW output where the corresponding HW input is not in use.
There is also an alternative solution for that, but this might stress your brain, when you are just new to RME/TM FX.
If you use loopback and the corresponding input has an audio signal that you want to record as well,
then this audio signal is there and can be routed to another HW output, where the corresponding HW input is free.
A lot is possible ... very clear generic concept.

BR Ramses - UFX III, 12Mic, XTC, ADI-2 Pro FS R BE, RayDAT, X10SRi-F, E5-1680v4, Win10Pro22H2, Cub13

3 (edited by artstr_reg 2022-01-01 14:48:34)

Re: Using "virtual" WDM for non-ASIO software with Fireface UCX II

ramses wrote:

If I understood your demand correct, then all is possible with TM FX.

Looks so indeed, thank you so much for an in-depth answer! I'm familiar with some other routing options, so the loopback backup plan does also make sense to me, if I'll need to use it.

Going to make myself a belated Christmas gift of UCX II, cheers! Also, I should check MusicBee out while I'm at it.