Topic: Line Out Volume Lock (not working)

Hello-

I'm a new owner of ADI-2 Dac. I am quite excited about the device but very quickly learned that the controls are more complex than I realised.

What I hope to achieve is:

1) Fixed volume for Line Out so I can connect XLR to a solid-state headphone amp, while the RCA to a tube headphone amp.
2) Variable volume for Phones.
3) Variable volume for IEM.

According to P.64, I should be able to do this pretty easily, but after several trials, the volumes are still all variable for all three outputs.

Any help would be much appreciated.

2 (edited by Johannes AU 2021-12-31 14:10:07)

Re: Line Out Volume Lock (not working)

hwangpatrick wrote:

Hello-

I'm a new owner of ADI-2 Dac. I am quite excited about the device but very quickly learned that the controls are more complex than I realised.

What I hope to achieve is:

1) Fixed volume for Line Out so I can connect XLR to a solid-state headphone amp, while the RCA to a tube headphone amp.
2) Variable volume for Phones.
3) Variable volume for IEM.

According to P.64, I should be able to do this pretty easily, but after several trials, the volumes are still all variable for all three outputs.

Any help would be much appreciated.

Turn the big volume knob to desired level,

[Put Auto Ref Level to ON if you enjoy B/T, PEQ]
during the unit at LINE OUT,
push I/O at the front panel,
turn knob 2 till you reach SETTINGS,
then push knob 1 or 2 many times until you reach LOCK VOLUME,
turn knob 2 to reach LOCK.

Done.

You only LOCK LINE OUT volume, phones and IEM remain adjustable.

Do you have the latest firmware 66/47? (older firmware version will not affect LOCK VOLUME setting)

Pacifist, dumb, not stupid
Listen music out from a box which sounds
Reading words on paper/ screen

Many thanks, Johannes AU,

It seems it's either all lock or all variable for me. Should I unplug the phones and IEM while I do the initial LINE OUT volume lock?

How do I check the latest firmware information?

Thank you!

4 (edited by Johannes AU 2021-12-31 15:29:09)

hwangpatrick wrote:

Many thanks, Johannes AU,

It seems it's either all lock or all variable for me. Should I unplug the phones and IEM while I do the initial LINE OUT volume lock?

How do I check the latest firmware information?

Thank you!

You are welcome !

Follow my instruction, you can set the LOCK VOLUME, even with phones plugged (turn knob 1 can change between LINE OUT, PHONES and IEM).

Download and run the firmware update tool, then you will see. (while you switch on the Dac, when the RME logo shows, the version number is at the lower part of screen, V.4x)

MacOS version https://rme-audio.de/downloads/fut_madiface_mac.zip

Windows version https://rme-audio.de/downloads/fut_madiface_win.zip

5 (edited by Johannes AU 2021-12-31 15:49:01)

User manual https://www.rme-audio.de/downloads/adi2dacr_e.pdf

Page 21: Lock Volume
Deactivates volume control via the VOLUME knob. Volume within the menu still works, and is
used to set the fixed output level. Active Lock is indicated in VOL, Volume screen and status bar

It means, after you exit the menu, the volume is locked at the value you selected at the menu, that said, you can change while you need it for another equipment without unlock it first.

Looks like a misunderstanding. You can't use all three outputs simultaneously with different volume controls. Use only Line Out OR Phones OR IEM, then the control Lock Volume will work only for the one you assigned it to.

Regards
Matthias Carstens
RME

MC wrote:

Looks like a misunderstanding. You can't use all three outputs simultaneously with different volume controls. Use only Line Out OR Phones OR IEM, then the control Lock Volume will work only for the one you assigned it to.

I know, it is individual.

What I try to explain to the OP is, could be he found the adjustment still can made within the menu after lock volume selected, it will lock after exited the menu or just simply turn the volume knob.

Unfortunately, I still can't get it to work.

With nothing plugin to PHONES or IEM, I turn the VOLUME knob to a desirable level, then go to I/O > Line Out > Settings > Lock Volume.

On the main menu, there's LOCK at the bottom of the screen.

Done!

I plug my IEM, and the volume starts low and ramps up way too high. I try to turn the volume knob and it is locked.

When I try to go to I/O> IEM > Settings > Lock Volume switching between ON and OFF; or when I try I/O> IEM > Settings > Volume > turning volume up or down, it makes no difference. The LOCK still appears at the bottom of the screen.

In other words, all three outputs are LOCK at the same volume.

Is there a control that might attempt to lock all three outputs at the same time?

hwangpatrick wrote:

Unfortunately, I still can't get it to work.

With nothing plugin to PHONES or IEM, I turn the VOLUME knob to a desirable level, then go to I/O > Line Out > Settings > Lock Volume.

On the main menu, there's LOCK at the bottom of the screen.

Done!

I plug my IEM, and the volume starts low and ramps up way too high. I try to turn the volume knob and it is locked.

When I try to go to I/O> IEM > Settings > Lock Volume switching between ON and OFF; or when I try I/O> IEM > Settings > Volume > turning volume up or down, it makes no difference. The LOCK still appears at the bottom of the screen.

In other words, all three outputs are LOCK at the same volume.

Is there a control that might attempt to lock all three outputs at the same time?

After you lock or unlock any individual output, exit the settings menu to make it work....

> In other words, all three outputs are LOCK at the same volume.

You are still using all outputs simultaneously.

SETUP - Options - Phones/DSD/Power - Mute Line is set to OFF. Set it to 'vs. Phones'. Read the manual on the other options.

Regards
Matthias Carstens
RME